Hilton Philadelphia City Avenue
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
$222
$199
$197
  • Restaurant
Wyndham Philadelphia Historic District(Philadelphia)(Great Value!)
$292
$197
$179
$167
Hotels.com
  • Restaurant
Warwick Hotel Rittenhouse Square(Philadelphia)
$239
$235
$219
Doubletree.com
  • Restaurant
All reviewsmain linejoseph's universitydelmonicovalet parkingvalet servicebusiness triphomewood suitesfitness centerballroombellmancollegeconference
FilterAll languages
Reviewed February 25, 2014

I had read many negative reviews about this property prior to making a reservation but went ahead and booked a room here because it was close to a family function we were attending. I was pleasantly surprised upon check-in. The hotel lobby is beautiful, clean and inviting. The rooms are clean and comfortable. Yes, the overstuffed chair and desk chair are a little worn, but they were a nice, comfortable addition to the room.

Our first room had 2 double beds. This is what I originally booked but realized there was no way 3 of us who range from 5'11'-6'2'' tall would be able to sleep well in these beds. The woman at the front desk was very helpful and accommodating and immediately switched us to a king room and had housekeeping bring in a rollaway bed for my son. There was no extra charge for the bigger room or the rollaway.

We also spent some time in the bar. First, my husband and I enjoyed drinks by the welcoming fire. Then, family members started arriving for a visit. Eventually there were 10 if us in the bar area. We decided to order some light dinner there because it was too cold to find a restaurant outside the hotel. We had a great experience. The food was delicious and fresh, and the servers were patient, efficient and helpful.

The only big negative to this property is the parking situation. You can pay $10 to valet park, or you pay $5 to self park. As others have mentioned, the self park lot is a few blocks away from the hotel and difficult to get in and out of. Not convenient at all. There are steep, narrow steps between the driveway and entrance to the hotel. It was challenging getting my 80 year old mother-in-law up and down the steps. Dragging heavy bags into the lobby was not a pleasant task, either. This is the only reason I cannot give this hotel an excellent rating.

I would stay here again in a heartbeat, though.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
Brian S, General Manager at Hilton Philadelphia City Avenue, responded to this reviewResponded February 26, 2014

Thank you for your recent stay and for posting a review. I was pleased to read that overall both the hotel and it's Service Team met your expectations and helped in making your family get together and stay a pleasant one. I will be sure to share your kind comments with all the team members involved. Again thank you and I hope that you will be a guest of the hotel again in the near future.

Reviewed February 23, 2014

The hotel was very average. My room smelled like cigarette smoke even though it was a non-smoking room. Otherwise, the room was quiet, clean and the shower had good water pressure and the toiletries were good quality.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts
Brian S, General Manager at Hilton Philadelphia City Avenue, responded to this reviewResponded February 25, 2014

Thank you for your recent stay and taking the time to post a review. I would like to apologize for the issue you encountered with your room smelling of smoke. As you stated in your review the hotel is nonsmoking and I am truly sorry that the issue with the room smelling of smoke was not discovered by the staff when the room was being prepared for your arrival. There is not excuse for this to have happened and I will be sure to share this review with the team members involved. I was pleased to read that you otherwise enjoyed your stay and I do hope that you will consider staying that the Hilton Philadelphia City Avenue the next time you are in the area. Please have a wonderful day.

Reviewed February 18, 2014

I found the room to be clean and comfortable, and the general amenities quite good. I slept like a log. Nice bed, and no complaints. Addendum: In 2014, I thought it was pretty shabby to get clipped an extra $10 for in-room WiFi since anyone who is travelling on business is pretty much married to their laptop.

They did offer a voucher for a breakfast in the morning...at 0630 which was about half an hour too late since you must often be up and on the road (to the airport, to the client site) at ungodly cow-milking hours. This is not a tourist's Hilton, close to historical attractions and other 'must see' places. This is a business person's Hilton and they need to tailor their service hours accordingly.

I've worked on City Avenue for about a decade now and despite much re-development, it is still like a pretty girl with the clap: Appearances can be deceiving. (Yes, I was staying at a hotel for business, right next door to my business: Snow-pocalypse XXIV and someone must be there at 0700 to make the wheels of commerce turn, even in bad weather.) The Hilton has shuttle service to other points of interest, and is right on the main drag for heavily traveled metro bus service, too. But I wouldn't wander too far from the well illuminated side of the building.

The Hilton can't help what neighbors have grown up around it, so this isn't a knock on them. It would not be my first choice for accommodations if I did not have to be specifically THERE.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
Brian S, General Manager at Hilton Philadelphia City Avenue, responded to this reviewResponded February 21, 2014

Thank you for your recent stay during the winter storms and for taking the time to post a review. I was pleased to read that the hotel and it's service team helped to make your overall stay a pleasant one dispite the inclement weather outside. I did make not of the issues you raised with regards to the internet and the hours of operation for breakfast and will be sure to share them with the appropriate team members.

As you mentioned the hotel is not in the touristy area of Philadelphia, but it is with in very close proximity to many great dining and shopping opportunities and is only a short drive to all of the main cultural offerings of the city. The hotel is also only five minutes from Saint Joseph's University and right next door Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine. The Please Touch Childrens Museum and the Philadelphia Zoo, America's oldest Zoo, are only five minutes away in beautiful Fairmount Park.

Again thank you for your stay and for taking the time to share your thoughts. I hope you will be a guest of the hotel again in the near future.

Reviewed February 13, 2014

Our visit was precipitated by a widespread power outage, which left many hotels fully booked by both local victims and visiting "second responders." Our two rooms were well insulated for sound, and the beds were quite comfortable; however, there was no ordinary blanket provided to exchange for the comforter I found too hot (this seems to be an industrty standard). Some of the leather furniture needed reupholstering, one room's refrigerator never worked, and in one bathroom the tub/shower diverter was stuck on shower. Both rooms had huge flat-screen HD TVs.

While the room rate was not outrageous, there is an extra charge for mundane things like Internet access, parking, and breakfast (all free at Hampton Inn). The two restaurants offer good to excellent food at high prices. Staff of the hotel and its restaurants were always courteous and helpful.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
Brian S, General Manager at Hilton Philadelphia City Avenue, responded to this reviewResponded February 15, 2014

Thank you for your recent stay and for taking the time to post a review. I was pleased to read that overall you enjoyed your stay and that the hotel's service team met you needs and expectations. I have made note of the condition and mechanical issues you raised and assure you that these will be addressed. I will be sure to share your feedback with all members of the team both the positive and those areas that are in needed of improvement. I do hope that you will choose the hotel again the next time you are in need of overnight accomidations. Thank you.

Reviewed February 11, 2014

Stayed at Hilton for two nights during the power outage in our area. We chose this Hilton because it is close to our office. The room was clean and on the small side. We had two good night sleep on warm beds in a warm room. Too bad this hotel does not offer breakfast.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts
1  Thank John K

Thank you for your recent stay and for taking the time to post a review. I was pleased to read that both the hotel and it's team met your needs and expectations during your stay and that you checked out a happy and satisfied guest. I hope that you will choose to stay with us again the next time you are in need of a place to stay in the Philadelphia area. Thank you.