“Nice Facility...Nasty Part of Town”

Hilton Philadelphia City Avenue
Ranked #48 of 85 Hotels in Philadelphia
GreenLeadersBronze level
Philadelphia
“Nice Facility...Nasty Part of Town”
Reviewed February 18, 2014

I found the room to be clean and comfortable, and the general amenities quite good. I slept like a log. Nice bed, and no complaints. Addendum: In 2014, I thought it was pretty shabby to get clipped an extra $10 for in-room WiFi since anyone who is travelling on business is pretty much married to their laptop.

They did offer a voucher for a breakfast in the morning...at 0630 which was about half an hour too late since you must often be up and on the road (to the airport, to the client site) at ungodly cow-milking hours. This is not a tourist's Hilton, close to historical attractions and other 'must see' places. This is a business person's Hilton and they need to tailor their service hours accordingly.

I've worked on City Avenue for about a decade now and despite much re-development, it is still like a pretty girl with the clap: Appearances can be deceiving. (Yes, I was staying at a hotel for business, right next door to my business: Snow-pocalypse XXIV and someone must be there at 0700 to make the wheels of commerce turn, even in bad weather.) The Hilton has shuttle service to other points of interest, and is right on the main drag for heavily traveled metro bus service, too. But I wouldn't wander too far from the well illuminated side of the building.

The Hilton can't help what neighbors have grown up around it, so this isn't a knock on them. It would not be my first choice for accommodations if I did not have to be specifically THERE.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Brian S, General Manager at Hilton Philadelphia City Avenue, responded to this review, February 21, 2014
Thank you for your recent stay during the winter storms and for taking the time to post a review. I was pleased to read that the hotel and it's service team helped to make your overall stay a pleasant one dispite the inclement weather outside. I did make not of the issues you raised with regards to the internet and the hours of operation for breakfast and will be sure to share them with the appropriate team members.

As you mentioned the hotel is not in the touristy area of Philadelphia, but it is with in very close proximity to many great dining and shopping opportunities and is only a short drive to all of the main cultural offerings of the city. The hotel is also only five minutes from Saint Joseph's University and right next door Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine. The Please Touch Childrens Museum and the Philadelphia Zoo, America's oldest Zoo, are only five minutes away in beautiful Fairmount Park.

Again thank you for your stay and for taking the time to share your thoughts. I hope you will be a guest of the hotel again in the near future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed February 13, 2014 via mobile

Our visit was precipitated by a widespread power outage, which left many hotels fully booked by both local victims and visiting "second responders." Our two rooms were well insulated for sound, and the beds were quite comfortable; however, there was no ordinary blanket provided to exchange for the comforter I found too hot (this seems to be an industrty standard). Some of the leather furniture needed reupholstering, one room's refrigerator never worked, and in one bathroom the tub/shower diverter was stuck on shower. Both rooms had huge flat-screen HD TVs.

While the room rate was not outrageous, there is an extra charge for mundane things like Internet access, parking, and breakfast (all free at Hampton Inn). The two restaurants offer good to excellent food at high prices. Staff of the hotel and its restaurants were always courteous and helpful.

Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Brian S, General Manager at Hilton Philadelphia City Avenue, responded to this review, February 15, 2014
Thank you for your recent stay and for taking the time to post a review. I was pleased to read that overall you enjoyed your stay and that the hotel's service team met you needs and expectations. I have made note of the condition and mechanical issues you raised and assure you that these will be addressed. I will be sure to share your feedback with all members of the team both the positive and those areas that are in needed of improvement. I do hope that you will choose the hotel again the next time you are in need of overnight accomidations. Thank you.
Reviewed February 11, 2014

Stayed at Hilton for two nights during the power outage in our area. We chose this Hilton because it is close to our office. The room was clean and on the small side. We had two good night sleep on warm beds in a warm room. Too bad this hotel does not offer breakfast.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple

1 Thank John K
Thank you for your recent stay and for taking the time to post a review. I was pleased to read that both the hotel and it's team met your needs and expectations during your stay and that you checked out a happy and satisfied guest. I hope that you will choose to stay with us again the next time you are in need of a place to stay in the Philadelphia area. Thank you.
Penn Valley, Pennsylvania, United States
Reviewed February 6, 2014

As noted in other reviews, the rooms are very dated. Furniture, carpet and paint all look very tired. In my room, the closest door was off the running and could not be opened. I called twice for maintenance and they never came. My daughters' room had an industrial air blower in it when they checked in, and the room had a sickeningly sweet smell. The rooms have an alarm clock type device, but only maintenance can set the correct time! (you can set the wake up time).

Unfortunately there aren't many other options in this part of Philadelphia but this place is not good.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for your recent stay and for sharing your thoughts on your stay. I would like to personally apologize for the hotel and it's team not having met your expectations. I assure you that it is the goal of all members of the staff to ensure that each guest has a memorable stay and I am truly sorry that this was not the case during your stay. I will be sharing your comments with the appropriate team members so that corrective steps can be taken to improve the operation of the hotel. Thank you.

Travelers are raving about these Philadelphia hotels

Weston, United States
Reviewed February 5, 2014

The furniture in the rooms are very worn and need replaced. My desk chair was broken. When I called to ask it to be replaced, no one came. The food for the meeting rooms was excellent, but breakfast was pricey and slow. Bar restaurant was also very slow to get food.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Thank you for your stay and for posting a review. I apologize that the hotel and it's team did not meet your overall expectations in all aspects of your stay. It is our goal to make every guest's stay memorable for both service and product and I am truly sorry that this was not the case during your stay. I will be sharing you thoughts with the appropriate team members so that improvements can be me made to product and service level that is provided to the guest. I do hope that you will consider staying at the hotel again the next time you are in the Philadelphia area. Thank you.
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed February 3, 2014

The valet service was sub par. Long waits and the valet even forgot to give us our key. We made it all the way Downtown before we realized we had to turn back to get the key. We got no apology from the jerk that forgot the key. He made it seem like it was our fault for not getting the key from him. The internet service was awful. I could not stay on long nough to get ANY work done on my stay. Definitely put me behind schedule. In this day and age where the internet is invaluable to completing work on time, it is imperative that the signal be reliable. Lastly the room's fridge was ridiclously loud and bust randomly in the middle of the night waking me up on several occassions.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

I want to thank you for your stay and for posting a review. I apologize that both the hotel and it's team did not meet you expectations in all aspects of your stay. It is the goal of the hotel and it's team to make every guest's stay memorable and I am truly sorry that this was not case with your entire stay. I assure you that I will be sharing your thoughts with the appropriate team members. I do hope that you would consider staying at the hotel again the next time you are in the Philadelphia area so that you can see that improvements have been made based on the feedback you have supplied.
GA
Reviewed January 30, 2014

Stayed for 2 nights for an event at PCOM which is right next door. Rooms could use some updating…furniture and carpets are a bit worn, but the room was clean. Hot water seems to be an issue in the morning. Had a nice hot shower late one evening, while the water was barely warm in the morning. Comfortable bed, extremely helpful, friendly staff. Location is nice. Lots of dining options within a short walk. I would stay again if I am in the area.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for your stay and for taking the time to post a review. I appreciate you taking the time to share both the positive aspects of your stay as well as those issues where the hotel and it's team can make some improvements. I assure you that your feedback is truly valued and will be reviewed with all of the appropriate team members. I hope you will stay at the hotel again the next time you are visiting PCOM.