“Inadequate Staff & business center”

Hilton Philadelphia City Avenue
Ranked #47 of 89 Hotels in Philadelphia
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed November 23, 2013

Your staff should be better trained in customer service experience. This was by far the worst experience I have had on a business trip. Instead of extending my stay one more night as I had originally planned, I ended up checking out and finding a hotel in Center City because I couldnt deal with the inadequacy of the staff and business center.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts
Brian S, General Manager at Hilton Philadelphia City Avenue, responded to this reviewResponded December 13, 2013

Thank you for your stay and for posting a review. I would like to apologize for the fact that both the hotel and it's Service Team did not meet your needs or expectations and am truly sorry for the inconvenience that this caused you during your trip. I assure you that I will be sharing your thoughts with all members of the team so that the needed improvements can be made. Thank you.

Reviewed November 20, 2013

A very comfortable, clean typical Hilton. The valet woman was accommodating and helpful as was the rest of the staff. Delmonico's in the hotel: If you don't eat red meat, DON'T BOTHER!!! The sea scallop dish was awful and the chicken marsala was so salty, it was barely edible. It was CRAZY expensive for poor food. For entrees at $30 each, a la carte I should add, ones mouth should water with every bite. What a waste of money! The breakfast at Delmonico's was fine.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Thank you for your stay and for posting a review. I was pleased to read that in general you enjoyed your overall stay and that you found the staff at the hotel to be pleasant and helpful. I would like to apologize that your dinner in Delmonico's did not meet your expectations and assure you that I will be sharing your thoughts regarding this with appropriate team members.

Again thank you for your stay and for sharing your thoughts. I truly hope that you will choose the Hitlon City Avenue again the next time you are staying in the Philadelphia area. Thank you.

Reviewed November 10, 2013

My family and I stayed in the Hilton Philadelphia City Ave for two nights in two rooms. Hilton should be embarrassed. This is not a downtown property but rather at the NE edge of the city next to Balacynwyd, which is the reason we chose the place. Although the prices were Hilton, the amenities, the aging condition of our rooms and the modest size of the lobby area suggested a 40 year old hotel that hasn't been renovated (other than fresh paint and big new televisions) in 40 years except maybe to make the lobby area look more upscale. The carpets in the rooms were not plush - - one could feel the uneven floor underneath - - but they might have been only 10 years old. Some of the furnishings were pretty badly worn. The service was also a problem. We asked for a box of tissues at 8 AM and it had not showed up by the time we left for the day at about 10:30 AM. (It was there at 4:30 PM when we returned.) Another customer was at the desk when we checked out saying that she was still waiting for some coffee to be delivered that she had evidently asked for hours earlier. The valet parking crew was understaffed on Friday night when we arrived, causing a substantial delay to getting ourselves into the hotel, although it was fine on all other occasions. Finally, there was no "full service option" for breakfast, although the food available from the buffet was fine. Thus, if you wanted an omelette made to order at the buffet, it was good, but you couldn't order a Standard American Breakfast with orange juice and coffee sitting at your table with your family if that would have been your preference. Sounds more like a Holiday Inn than a Hilton. Next time we visit our friends in Balacynwyd, we will probably try the Homewood Suites right next door. Cheers!

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
Brian S, General Manager at Hilton Philadelphia City Avenue, responded to this reviewResponded November 11, 2013

I want to thank you for having stayed at the hotel and for taking the time to post a review. I would like to offer you my sincere apologies for the issues you experienced and that the hotel and its Service Team did not meet your expectations in all areas. It is the goal of both the hotel and the Service Team meet the guest's needs and expectations and I am truly sorry that this was not totally the case during your stay. I assure you that I will share you feed back with all members of the staff that any needed improvements can be made to better enhance the stay of our guests.

Again please accept my apologies and thank you for your feedback. It is greatly appreciated and valued. I do hope that you will give the hotel another try the next time you are visiting friends in the area.

Reviewed October 31, 2013

Excellent clean, comfortable, quiet rooms. wonderful breakfast buffet. I stay at Hilton in Ocean City for pleasure twice a year. This is the first time I've stayed at City Line in Philadelphia. It lived up to all my previous Hilton stays and experiences

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Thank you for staying at the hotel while attending your family celebration and for taking the time to post a review. I was very pleased to read that you seemed to have thoroughly enjoyed your stay and the hotel and it's Service Team met your expectations. I will be sure to share you kind words with all members of the team.

Again thank you for your recent stay and for your kind words. I hope that you will stay at the hotel again the next time you are in the Philadelphia area. Thank you.

Reviewed October 29, 2013

We stayed at this Hilton for five (5) days for a wedding celebration. The service was excellent and the staff did an exemplary job in the Grand Ballroom for the wedding and the brunch the next morning.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family

Thank you very much for having stayed at the hotel while attending the wedding and for posting a review. I am truly happy to have read that the hotel and it's Service Team met your expectations and assisted in making your trip an enjoyable one. I will be sure to share you thoughts with all members of the team.

Again thank you for your stay and for your feedback, it is greatly appreciated. I hope to have you as a guest again the next time you are in the Philadelphia area. Thank you.

Reviewed October 28, 2013

Last month we had the pleasure of having our daughter's wedding hosted by the Hilton Hotel City Ave. I can't tell you how happy we were with how "EVERYTHING" turned out! Our experience with Randy Schaller and Linda Bone(catering mgrs.) and the staff was absolutely
phenomenal!! From our first meeting to the final walk through for the reception, "Everything" was done in a spirit of excellence and as a team. Their team did an EXCELLENT job from the front, to the back of the house, to the valet parking guys and the maintenance team who helped us when we needed assistance.
There was never a time during the reception, when we didn't feel like we were top priority!! Linda, Geraldo, Frank and all the others were readily available.
Not only did we have "NO WORRIES" but, more importantly we had "NO REGRETS".Many thanks to our "Hilton family " who met and exceeded our expectations!!!!!!!
THANK YOU!! The Harrisons

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you very much for your kind words regarding your wedding and stay at the Hilton. I will make sure that I share your thoughts with all members of the team since it was definitely a group effert.

I do hope that you will stay with us again the next time you are in the area.

Reviewed October 24, 2013

this was my first time in Philadelphia and staying at this Hilton. I was extremely happy with the service I received upon arrival and check out. The staff was very helpful and atmosphere was very good. The location was close to walking distance to a strip mall and had everything you would need. Even public transportation was close. I enjoyed staying here and will stay again. Thank you Hilton

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Thank you very much for your stay and for taking the time to post a review. I am very please to read that both the hotel and it's Service Team met your needs and expecations during your stay. I will be sure to share this review will all members of the team, since satisfying a guest's needs is a group effort.

Again thank you for your stay and for your feedback, it is value and greatly appreciated. I do hope that you will be a guest at the Hilton the next time you are staying in the area. Thank you.