“Average Hotel in need of a Refresh”

Hilton Philadelphia City Avenue
Ranked #45 of 85 Hotels in Philadelphia
GreenLeadersBronze level
Charlotte, North Carolina
“Average Hotel in need of a Refresh”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2013

If you like the dark panel and dimmly light glow of a steak house, then this hotel's decor will not bother you. Otherwise, the hotel is in need of a refresh on the carpet, lights, color scheme, and bathrooms. The desk in the room was small and the lights do not have outlets built in to plug in the electronics. Had to crawl underneath the desk to plug in the laptop to a powerstrip. There are no lights with outlets built in by the beds either. Nothing major, just some easy fixes to make the rooms more appealing.

The staff is the only part of this hotel not needing a refresh!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Brian S, General Manager at Hilton Philadelphia City Avenue, responded to this review, September 24, 2013
Thank you for your recent stay and for sharing your thoughts about your stay. Your feedback is greatly appreciated and your comments about improvements to the functionality of the guest room has been noted. I will be sure to share the very kind comments that you made about the staff with all members of the Service Team. It is good to note that the service that the staff provided to you met your expectations.

Again thank you for your stay and for positing a review. i hope that you will choose the Hilton City Avenue again the next time you are in the Philadelphia area. Thank you.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Philadelphia, United States
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2013

I have worked in restaurants as a waitress for years. I know what guest service is. I am also NOT a complainer because I have worked in this business and I know its hard. I asked for an early check in for my guest (had blocked rooms for my wedding) . I still had guest calling and asking and the front desk kept saying they knew nothing about this. I spoke to the manager and she pretty much laughed at me and told me to calm down. Not what I was looking for. I know it wasn't guaranteed and I get that but it was suppose to be an option. I also realized that when I got back from my honey moon my car had a huge scratch on it. It was in a parking space behind my house while we were gone. There is no way someone could have hit it. Not what i expected from the Hilton.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Thank you for your recent stay and for taking the time to post a review. I am truly sorry that the hotel was not able meet your expectations with regards to an early check-in for your guests. While the hotel does grant early check-ins whenever possible, there are times when this request is not able to be met due to the occupancy level of the hotel. As to the damage you mentioned to your car, the hotel is very careful in how it handles a guest's car when it is in the care of the hotel staff and deals appropriately with any possible car related issues that are brought to the staff's attention by the guest when the car is returned to the guest's posession.

Again thank you for your stay and for sharing your thoughts. The feedback you have supplied is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Travelers are raving about these Philadelphia hotels

New York, United States
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2013

We were unable to sleep due to the poor condition of the mattress. It felt as if we were sleeping on a wooden board attached to springs. We both took Aleve because our backs were hurting. At 4:27 AM, I looked to see the specifics of the mattress. The tag attached to the mattress is dated 10/05/2004. At 4:34 AM, I went to the reception desk and was greeted by Kathleen the Night Auditor. I informed her that we were having difficulty sleeping due to the poor condition of the mattress. She stated “really, I have never heard any complaints about the mattresses.” I asked if there was anything that could be done. She stated that she could change the room, I agreed. As Kathleen was producing keys to room 1007 I asked her if it was typical to have a mattress that was almost 10 years old. Kathleen stated that the hotel was recently renovated including the lobby and ballrooms. I stated that the bed was “old.” Kathleen explained "sir, “you can go to any hotel chain including the Four Seasons or Marriott and the beds won’t be changed for 10 years. I proceeded to room 1007 to check the condition of the mattress before changing our room. As I opened the door I observed 6 maintenance tickets for bathroom repair, tub caulking, etc. I checked the bed tag and the tag had a 10/05/2004 manufacturing date on it. As I returned to the reception desk, Kathleen was speaking with a blonde woman; she stated “here he comes.” I approached the desk silently; Kathleen said “is there another problem?” I informed her that the room appeared to be closed for maintenance and produced the service tickets that I found on the floor. She “stared” at me for 30 seconds without saying a word. Kathleen stated “well, the room is fine.” I asked if I had done something to offend her. She didn’t respond. As a valued Hilton Honors Member I have never received or expected an unsatisfactory sleeping experience. The rude, hostile manner in which my concern was accepted and unresolved was disappointing.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Thank you for taking the time to post this review. While I was not able to change what you experienced on the first night of your stay, I do beleive that after you and I spoke in the morning that I was able to make the balance of your stay as well as that of you brother a truly enjoyable one. I hope that you both enjoyed the wedding and that based on the second half of your stay that you will choose to stay at the hotel again the next time you are in the Philadelphia area.
Brookline, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2013

Basically a good hotel which is good for business travelers. They have a good fitness center, pool, restaurant, V.I.P. executive room, and business center. There are many shops and restaurants on City Ave., but no access to the SEPTA or convenient buses or any close tourist attraction at all. The hotel concierge wins points for calling after his shift to let us know Flap Jack breakfast place was still in business. That is above the call of duty. Overall I had a positive experience.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Thank you for your recent stay and for taking the time to post a review of your stay. I was very happy to read that you enjoyed your stay and that the hotel and its Service Team met your expectations. I have taken the time to share your comments about your stay especially with regards to the team member who went above and beyond to help make your stay even more special.

Again thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts and I hope to have you as a guest at the hotel again the next time you are in the Philadelphia area.
Cincinnati, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2013

The hotel is attractive and rooms are nice. Poor service in hotel restaurant. I ate breakfast their 2 days and both days service was poor. They did not clean my room. Not a big deal, but should have at least offered. Many hotels do not charge for internet access, but this Hilton still does.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Thank you for your stay and for sharing your thoughts about your stay. I would like to apologize for the poor service that you recieved while dining for breakfast and for any inconvenience that this slow service may have caused you. I have shared your comments with the Service Team in the restaurant so that improvements can be made.

Again thank you for posting the review, I assure you that your comments are greatly appreciated and valued. I hope that you will consider staying at the hotel again the next time you are in the Philadelphia area.
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 11, 2013

We stayed at this property for four nights while in town for my son's wedding. While it could probably use a little updating in some of the rooms, we had a very comfortable stay, good sleep quality, and hosted a brunch that was quite good. Worked with hotel staff to plan our event via phone and email, and everything went off without a hitch. The food was plentiful and really, really good, the room was lovely and service was flawless.

While this hotel is on the edge of the city, not downtown, it was within walking distance of just about anything you might need, including many restaurants, and shopping that ranges from Target to Lord & Taylor. Parking is $10 a day for valet with in-and-out privileges, or $5 in a lot a block away, but that's $5 every time you pull in, so if you don't plan to leave your car sit, the valet parking is probably the better deal.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your recent stay and for taking the time to post a review. It was very nice to read that in general both the hotel and its Service Team met your expectations and provided you with an enjoyable stay. Your very knid comments will be shared with all members of the team.

Again thank you for your stay and for sharing your thoughts. I hope that you will stay at the hotel again the next time you are in the Philadelphia area. Thank you.
Walkersville, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2013

Great Hotel! We stay there several times throughout the year while our daughter attends a local college. We love it ! It is very close to her college and the restaurant and bar are very nice. The staff could not be more accommodating. We highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Thank you for taking the time to post a review and for making the Hilton City Avenue your home away from home when visiting your daughter. It is very good to read that the hotel and its Service Team continue to meet your expectations and help to provide you with a pleasant stay while visiting your daughter. I will be sure to share your thoughts with all members of the team.

Again thank you for your review and I hope to have you as a guest at the hotel again in the near future. Thank you.