“AWESOME STAY IN PHILLY”

GreenLeadersBronze level
stafford, United States
“AWESOME STAY IN PHILLY”
Reviewed August 15, 2013

This is a great hotel to prepare for the day ahead. Whether for relaxing and holiday, or for business. The restaurant has awesome food, the drinks are great, the rooms are spacious and the staff is warm and inviting. The valet was courteous and efficient with a helpful attitude and sincere interest in your comfort. I thorough enjoyed my stay.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Brian S, General Manager at Hilton Philadelphia City Avenue, responded to this review, August 16, 2013
Thank you very much for your recent stay and for posting a review of your stay. You very kind words are greatly appreciated and I will be sure to share them with all members of the hotel team. It is always good to hear that both the hotel and it's Service Team have met a guest's expectations and assisted in making the guest's stay both pleasant and enjoyable. I hope to have you as a guest at the hotel again in the near future. Thank you.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
St. Louis, United States
Reviewed August 14, 2013

This hotel was luxury at a bargain price. The doormen were nice, the bellhop was nice and the room was luxurious compared to other Hilton's I've stayed in. The location was close to where we were visiting my son. I would definitely stay here again.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

I want to thank you for your recent stay and for taking the time to post a review. I was very please to read that both the hotel and it's Service Team met you expectations and made your stay a pleasant and enjoyable one. I will be sure to share your very kind comments with all members of the team.

Again thank you for your stay and very kind comments. I hope that you will be a guest of the hotel the next time you are in the Philadelphia area. Thank you.
Pittsburgh, United States
Reviewed August 12, 2013

Accommodations and staff at the hotel were very good with the exception of the restaurant and wait staff at the restaurant. They were unprofessional and literally rude they are the only reason our stay was tainted.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Brian S, General Manager at Hilton Philadelphia City Avenue, responded to this review, August 14, 2013
Thank you for your recent stay and for taking the time to post a review. I would like to personally apologize for any issues that occurred with the Service Team in the restaurant and I assure you that I will share your feedback with all members of the team involved. It is the goal of all members of the team to ensure that each and every guest's stay is an enjoyable and pleasant one and I am truly sorry that the interaction with the staff in the restaurant was below expectations.

Again thank you for your stay and I hope that you will stay at the Hilton City Avenue the next time you are in the Philadelphia area. Your frank and honest assessment of your stay was greatly appreciated and valued and will be used to help us improve the operation.
Massapequa, New York
Reviewed August 9, 2013 via mobile

Exactly what you would expect from a solid Hilton property. Right on city avenue with good proximity to downtown Philly.

The rooms were clean and the building seemed well maintained. We ate breakfast in the restaurant. The buffet included omelets, hot and cold options including fresh fruit.

• Stayed August 2013
Brian S, General Manager at Hilton Philadelphia City Avenue, responded to this review, August 10, 2013
Thank you for your recent stay and for taking the time to have posted a review. I was very happy to read that both the hotel and it's Service Team met your expectations. I will be sure to share your very kind comments with all members of the team. I do hope that you will stay at the hotel again the next time you are in the Philadelphia area.
Elmhurst, Illinois, United States
Reviewed August 9, 2013

On a family vacation, involving a great deal of road travel and several stays at about 10 different hotels/inns, this particular location stuck out negatively in my memory. Even before entering, I was struck by the parking: it's location was quite a distance from the actual hotel for someone carrying significant baggage. Not only that, the hotel parking ran a cost, just to park while staying at the hotel. This was my first taste of a trend: everything ran a cost. I was shocked by this because almost all the other locations we stayed at were Hampton Inns, and they all had free parking, free breakfast, free wifi, and free snacks. Not one of these accommodations was to be found at the "higher class" Hilton. The wifi cost roughly $10.00 per machine, the breakfast buffet was around $15.00 per person (I did not partake, so I cannot speak to quality), and everything save the beds and the TV cost extra. At the rates we were paying, I can say I was quite taken aback by Hilton's attempt to squeeze out every possible money-making opportunity. I do, however, feel that the rooms were clean and comfortable (if a little small). I could recommend you staying at this location, but only if you're willing to shell out extra money for things that really should be free. I can recommend a large number of Hampton Inns (which I considered to be "lower grade" before) for short stays over this location. We only stayed a short while, so I cannot speak to long-term amenities.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your recent stay and for taking the time to have posted a review. I would like to apologize that the hotel did not meet your expectations as to the complimentary amenities that it offers. I was please to read that you did find your accomidations comfortable and relaxing and I hope that you found the Service Team both hospitable and helpful.

Again thank you for your stay and for your frank and honest feedback. I will be sure to share your thoughts with all members of the staff,
Oakdale, United States
Reviewed August 8, 2013

Our family stayed the weekend at the Hilton City Line because of its close proximity to SJU for activities our son had at the university. The staff was very pleasant and accommodating. The room we stayed in contained two double beds and a mini fridge. The television was a large flat screen with adequate programming choices. The room and bathroom were very clean. The beds were comfortable which was needed after long days at the university. The cons during my stay was that there was an additional charge for WiFi access and parking. For the rate we paid, I felt it should have included both. There are restaurants onsite but we never ate there so we can't comment on the quality. All in all, it was a pleasant stay there and would stay there again in the future.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Thank you for your recent stay and for taking the time to have posted a review. I was very pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay and that the hotel and the Service Team met your expectations and assisted in making your trip a pleasant one. I will be sure to share your very kind comments with all members of the team.

Again thank you for your stay and for your frank and honest assessment of the hotel. I do hope that you will choose to stay at the hotel again the next time you are in the Philadelphia area and that you will try the hotel's restuarant, Delmonico's Steakhouse or the Polo Lounge. I assure you that you will truly enjoy the experience.
Indiana
Reviewed August 7, 2013

As a Hilton Honors Diamond member, I pretty much stick to the Hilton Brands, including Hilton Garden Inns, Doubletree Hotels, Hampton Inns and, when affordable, flagship Hiltons. This was my first stay at this hotel and, generally, I expect more from a Hilton than I do from a Hampton Inn.

I happened to stay here during a heat wave in Philly. During my 48 hour stay, the hallways and elevators were unbearably warm. My room was just fine and with the door closed and the temperature turned down I was very comfortable...while I was in the room. However, getting to and from the lobby was a chore and I would expect that, in a 48 hour period, management would have been able to get this fixed. the high temperature manifested itself primarily in making the Executive Lounge uncomfortably hot for the breakfast and evening hours.

My experience at the hotel restaurant was below expectations, as well. While my waitress was extremely attentive, the food took an exceptionally long time, for which she apologized. I ordered the small filet mignon, "medium" and--when it arrived, the center was cold and red. When my server came by, I asked her if the chef would be offended if I asked him to put it on the grill for some additional cooking..I actually apologized for asking...and she said "no need to apologize...it's clear that your steak is raw." Upon return, I ended up with a steak that was medium rare and simply ate around the edges as I already had an hour invested in my dinner.

Finally, I was charged $10 for parking even though I self-parked both nights and paid upon exiting. My email to Hilton Honors was answered promptly, followed by an email from the GM who said he would look into the situation. I emailed him two days later and he said that they would be issuing a $10 credit for me. Later, I received a new folio with the charge removed but, unfortunately, they neglected to credit the $10 to my credit card. (At least as of this writing one week later).

For $10, I'm done chasing this and will simply choose to stay at another Hilton property when in Philly. Very disappointing and if you read some of my other reviews you will see that many Hilton properties with much less to work with make up for what they don't have with excellent client service, unlike this property.

Room Tip: I always ask for a high room away from the elevator, just to cut down on the noise.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank HoosierTravelers08
Thank you for having stayed at the hotel and for taking the time to have posted a review. I would like to personally apologize for you having experienced the issues that you did while staying at the hotel. I no that the negative items that you have raised took away from your stay and this lead to your expectations having not been met and for that I am truly sorry.

I do remember our email communications regarding the error in charging you for valet parking and I do want you to know that the hotel did in fact reverse the charge to your credit card for the charge.

Again thank you for staying at the hotel and for sharing your thought about your stay. I hope that you will consider staying at the hotel again so that you can see that improvements were made based on your frank and honest assessment of your stay. Thank you and please have a wonderful day.