“Nice hotel, but odd location”

Hilton Philadelphia City Avenue
Ranked #47 of 89 Hotels in Philadelphia
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed April 9, 2013

I think of Hilton as a big step up from a Hampton Inn, this hotel was a half a step up, if that. It had a small, but pretty, lobby, concierge service and valet, but that was where the luxury stopped.
Our room was clean, well decorated and spacious, but had a horrid view of a crane and water treatment lagoon (not temporary and not a reservoir!). The king bed needed to be replaced, as it sagged in the center, making for a not so comfortable sleep. The walls were also very thin, with the hallway traffic sounding like it was marching through our room.
When we arrived at 3:00 p.m. our reserved room was not ready for occupancy. The hotel did not offer free Internet service - we had not stayed enough nights in a Hilton property thiis year to earn that perk. You would have thought we were staying in a 5-star hotel!
This hotel is NOT in the city. It is west of the city several exits, 3 blocks from I-76. Few restaurants are located near-by.
Although this hotel served its purpose, for our next visit to Philly we will stay closer to downtown.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Brian S, General Manager at Hilton Philadelphia City Avenue, responded to this reviewResponded April 11, 2013

Thank you having stayed at the hotel and for taking the time to have posted a review of yours stay. I would like to personally apologize that the hotel did not meet your expectations in all areas of concern. The hotel and it's Service Team take pride in trying to make each guest's stay a memorable one and I am truly sorry that we as a team were not able to make all aspects of your stay as enjoyable as they could have been on your recent visit.

Again thank you for your stay and for your review. You comments are truly valued and greatly appreciated. I do hope that you will consider staying at the hotel again the next time you are visiting the Philadelphia area. While the hotel may not be downtown it is close to many shopping, entertainment and dining hot spots in the city. Thank you and have a wonderful day.

Reviewed April 8, 2013

If you're looking for a Luxurious hotel that you can feel relaxed, The Hilton City Avenue Hotel is the place to go. When I went online to prepay for my two night stay in this hotel, I thought I got a very good deal, which in most ways I did. I just didn't realize the hidden fees I would have to pay for when I got there. Like everytime you leave the parking lot you must pay 5$ and also if you'd like in-room wi-fi it is 10$ a day. As long as you know about these fees ahead of time and are prepared to pay the money, this is a top notch hotel, GORGEOUS Decor you'll feel like your staying in the Ritz. I had a grin on my face as soon as I walked in the door with how fancy it was.The service was phenomenal and the food was wonderful. To eat in restaurant was pricey but, you don't have to eat there every night though I highly recommend you eat there at least once, you'll feel spoiled with the amazing service you'll receive. I felt that paying some of the extra fees were worth it for how amazing the service was. I highly recommend this hotel!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for taking the time to have posted a review of your recent at the hotel. I was very happy to read that you enjoyed your overall stay and that you felt that both the hotel and it's Service Team met your needs and expectations. I did take note of your comment regarding making sure that all incidental charges are clearly stated when making a reservation. While these charges are already on all of the hotel's web booking sites, I will be looking at them to make sure that they are as easy as possbile for the guest to review.

Again thank you for your stay and for your review. Your comments are valued and greatly appreciated. I hope that you will choose the hotel again the next time you are in the Philadelphia for business or leisure.

Reviewed April 4, 2013

Thought I would try the Hilton rather than the Crowne Plaza down the street. I'll be going back to the Crowne Plaza. The only thing included in the room rate is the room. Parking, internet, breakfast are all ala carte. Lights weren't working in the room. Not a good value.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts
Reviewed April 1, 2013

Beyond the excellent hotel, food, and service, the Bell staff tried numerous things to get my NEW rental car started. They really went out of their way. I would, and will stay here again in a heartbeat.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Brian S, General Manager at Hilton Philadelphia City Avenue, responded to this reviewResponded April 3, 2013

Thank you for your recent stay at the hotel and for taking the time to post a review, your comments are truly valued and greatly appreciated. I was very happy to read that the hotel and it's Service Team met your expectations and that the Bell Staff went above and beyond in trying to assist you with the problem you encountered with your rental car. I will be sure to share your very kind words with all members of the team but most especially the Bell Staff, who true sense of hospitality made such an impression on you.

Again thank you for posting the review and I hope that you will be a guest at the hotel again in the near future.

Reviewed March 23, 2013

Overall average for a Hilton. Very good snacks and hot apps in Executive Level Lounge. Dinner at the lounge was good. Breakfast was edible, not a great quality for the price. Rooms were clean, got a Dimond upgrade. Fron desk staff was very good. Will stay there again.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for taking the time to post a review from your recent stay at the Hilton Philadelphia City Avenue. Your feedback is truly valued and greatly appreciated. I was of course happy to read that in many areas your expectations were met by the hotel and it's Service Team. With regards to your disapointment with the quality of the breakfast buffet I have discussed this comment with the Executive Chef and his team so that they may check all of the products served for quality assurance.

Again thank you for posting the review, comments from guests such as you are the best tools available to me in trying to make improvements and changes to the operation of the hotel. I hope that you will be a guest of the hotel again in the future.

Reviewed March 21, 2013

My first time at the Executive Level and was extremely pleased with the overall experience. Friendliness of the staff, cleanliness of the room, the service and amenities were all top quality. I was not expecting hot and cold appetizers on a Sunday evening and was pleasantly surprised at the variety and freshness of the foods offered. Breakfast the next morning was a treat and I was sufficiently satisfied so that going elsewhere was not necessary. I will be staying at this hotel again should I be in the area and in need of a place to stay!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
Brian S, General Manager at Hilton Philadelphia City Avenue, responded to this reviewResponded March 22, 2013

Thank you very much for staying at the hotel and for taking the time to post a review of your stay. It is always good to hear when the hotel and it's Sevice Team are able to meet the guest's expectations. I will be sure to share your very kind comments with all members of the team.

Again thank for choosing the hotel and for sharing your thoughts on your stay. Your feed back is truly valued and much appreciated. I hope to have you as a guest at the hotel again the next time you are in the area for business or leisure. Thank you.

Reviewed March 21, 2013

Great location for visiting Saint Joseph's University. Very friendly staff. VEry quick check in process. Accommodations were clean and comfortable, although it was a little difficult to regulate the room temperature. Valet parking was very convenient and not over priced.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for your recent stay at the hotel and for taking to post a review of your stay. I was very pleased to read that you had an enjoyable stay and will be sure to share your comments with all members of the Service Team here at the hotel. The feedback that you shared is truly valued and much appreciated.

Again thank you for choosing the Hilton City Avenue and I look forward to having you stay at the hotel again the next time you are here to visit Saint Joseph's University. thank you.