“Nice Overnight” 5 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersBronze level
Wernersville PA
“Nice Overnight”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 31, 2013

We stayed down in Philly overnight to go to dinner and do some 'city things' the next day.
Everyone at the Hilton was very pleasant and helpful. The Valet was prompt and the concierge was very helpful getting us a car service to take us into the city when we didn't want to drive.
This was our second stay and we would definitely stay again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Brian S, General Manager at Hilton Philadelphia City Avenue, responded to this review, February 2, 2013
I want to thank you for again choosing to stay at the Hilton Philadelphia City Avenue while visiting the area and for taking the time post a reveiw of your stay. It is alwasy a pleasure to read that the efforts of the hotel and it's service team have helped to have enhanced a guest's stay. I will be sure to share your very kind comments with all members of the team. Thank you and I look forward to having you as a guest at the hotel at sometime in the near future. Please have a wonder day.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 28, 2013

I enjoyed my stay the ladies at the front desk were perfection ...great smiles perfect customer service.....the men that work valet need training on how to talk to people just rude they were working sat 26 2013 around 4:00 pm ....the door man was so adorable in his uniform also perfection i loved the hilton on city ave.

• Stayed January 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Brian S, General Manager at Hilton Philadelphia City Avenue, responded to this review, January 30, 2013
I want to thank you for having stayed at the hotel this past weekend and for taking the time to post a review of your stay. I was very pleased to read that in general you enjoyed your stay and that you would stay with us again. I did make note of your comment regarding the need for the Valet Parking staff to display a more welcoming attitude towards the guest and assure you that this has been addressed with all involved.

Again thank you for staying at the hotel and for your very kind comments about the staff and your overall stay. I will most definitely be sharing your review with all members of the team. Please have a wonderful day and I look forward to having you as a guest of the Hitlon Philadelphia City Avenue the next time your are in the Philadelphia area.
Eugene, Oregon
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 28, 2012

I have never written a hotel review before, but I was appalled by my treatment at this hotel. Both my mom and I called initially to inquire about staying here. My mom was told that the hotel did not have rollaways, and I was told that they did. So we both called back separately in the next couple of days and were told that they absolutely had rollaways and could put one in our double room. When I made the reservation for 3 nights (a prepaid one, that sure was a mistake!) I was again told that we could 'definitely' have a rollaway in our double room, "don't worry about it, you are all set," and the request was written into our reservation.
We arrived with tired kids and were told by Chanda that we could not have a rollaway in the double room because of Pennsylvania fire codes. So we were stuck with one less bed than we needed, unless we wanted to pay hundreds of dollars more for another room. Now I understand fire codes and had no interest in going against them, but the staff who booked us certainly should have known these fire codes (why would they write the rollaway request into the reservation if they were not even permitted), and I was most surprised by Chanda's response. Chanda only told us (repeatedly) that she was "sorry for our frustration" and that she was "taking responsibility for the situation." Words are cheap. To me, taking responsibility for a situation means that you do something to rectify it for the guest (eg. offering a different room), but Chanda did absolutely nothing to accommodate us. Her manner was most patronizing, and she clearly didn't really care about her customers.

We wondered if someone different was supervising the staff in the restaurant, because we had a completely different experience there. The staff in the restaurant was genuinely friendly and most hospitable.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank guest1818
Brian S, General Manager at Hilton Philadelphia City Avenue, responded to this review, December 29, 2012
I want to thank you for your recent stay at the hotel and for taking the time to post a review of your stay. I was of course very disappointed to read of the issue you encountered with the hotel not being able to accommodate your request for placing a rollaway bed in your rooms with double beds already in them. I would like to personally apologize for the inconvenience that this may have caused you. I have contacted the hotel's reservation center to assure that they have the correct information with regards to which room types are allowed to have a rollaway bed added to them.

Again please accept my apolgies for what occurred and thank you for bringing this matter to my attention. Also I want to thank you for your very kind comments with regards to the service you received while dining in Delmonico's Restaurant. Your review will be posted for all team members to read and to take the appropriate steps to see that this type of incident does not occurr again in the future. Thank you and please have a safe and joyous New Year.
Columbus, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 11, 2012

Nice hotel, wonderful continenal breakfast, good location and easy access to lots of restaurants/attractions etc. Very comfortable and clean, amazing service. Conceirge calling up to the room after check in to see if we needed anything or if there was anything he could do to make our stay better was a very nice touch. I would gladly stay here again.!

Room Tip: we were on the 11th floor (rm 1114) and the view is the rooftop & parking lot of the building ne...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Brian S, General Manager at Hilton Philadelphia City Avenue, responded to this review, December 12, 2012
I want to thank you for posting a review of your recent stay at the Hilton Philadelphia City Avenue. I was very pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay and that the hotel and it's Service Team seemed to have met your expectations. I will make sure to share your very kind comments with all of the hotel's team members.

Again thank you for posting the review and for staying at the hotel. I hope you will again choose the Hilton Philadelphia City Avenue the next time you are in the Philadelphia area.
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 12, 2012

I stayed here with my fiancee and a large group of her family for an event in town last weekend. The moment we walked into the hotel, we were greeted by courteous hotel staff in the attractive and spacious lobby. Modern, yet homey decor and furnishings made for a comfortable environment as we waited to be checked in, and during other times in our trip. The lobby also has a small convenience store, that to my surprise, had even more reasonable prices than an outside store. This seems to run counter to hotels gouging prices at their on-property stores.

Attached to the lobby were the hotel's restaurant (a steakhouse), and another dining room which looked like it abuts the restaurant, but is separate (I could be wrong). We didn't eat at the steakhouse (the family event spanned the whole weekend and involved dinners in the city), but one morning we had the breakfast buffet in the other dining room. At $15-and-change per person, it seemed fairly reasonably priced for unlimited access to both hot and cold items. The food was very good, and all pancakes, waffles, and eggs were prepared fresh to-order. Hilton City Avenue really hit a home run here. Foodwise, few things are worse than pre-made buffet eggs.

The rooms were large, clean and well-maintained, and the beds were comfortable. My fiancee and I slept in one room, her family slept in several others, and consensus was that the rooms were all high-quality and allowed for good nights' rests.

The hotel also has a business center, which has three computers, a printer, and I think I saw a fax machine as well. There is also a pool and a gym, but I can't speak on those, as we didn't use them. Seeing that the rest of this hotel is great though, I'm sure there are no problems.

There are also several large and attractive function halls, one of which we used for a brunch on the last day of our trip. It was clean and well-staffed.

The only real complaint that anybody in our group had was that WiFi was not offered free of charge. Most of us felt that in this modern age of tablets and smartphones, free WiFi is becoming less of a luxury and more of an expectation, much like cable TV.

I would also suggest renting a car to someone who wants to stay here and spend a lot of time in the city. It's close enough so that it's a short drive, but far enough so that cab fare can get quite expensive (especially when you factor in round-trip). Between friday evening and sunday morning, we easily spent over $300 on cabs.

I'd recommend this hotel to anybody. Whether you're traveling with friends, family, or for work, you'll for sure have a great stay at Hilton City Avenue.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Andrew F
Brian S, General Manager at Hilton Philadelphia City Avenue, responded to this review, November 15, 2012
I want to thank you for having stayed at the hotel and for taking the time to post a review of your stay. I was very pleased to read that the hotel and its Service Team were able to help in making your stay a pleasant and enjoyable one. I will be sure to share you very kind comments with all members of the team. I hope that when you are next in the Philadelphia are that you will again choose to stay at the Hilton Philadelphia City Avenue. Thank you.
Norfolk, Virginia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 10, 2012

My family and I arrived in Phil. during early evening after a 5 hour drive to attend a funeral scheduled for the next morning. Staff was extremely disconnected-doorman included. Couple was checking in and took a little more time than usual. But more to that was the MOD or Front Desk Manager, a pudgy guy with a navy jacket, came out, walked passed me as I waited to check in, checked with the doorman to see if he was "ok", then returned to the back office. Ten minutes later, a guest arrived and was in line behind me. The Manager, walked from the back office again, saw me and the gentleman in line (couple was still at the desk), walked up to the gentleman behind me and asked HIM was he ready to check in. What do you think happened? The gentleman (who deserved to be called that) informed him that I should go since I have been waiting longer. Seems the manager went to the back and finally another front desk person came out and checked me in.
This was an intentional behavior of discrimination on the part of the manager. You see, I am a black woman and as much as I am a mature open-minded woman, I am extremely aware of great customer service and the attention to detail-I did not experience it that day.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Suebird631
I want to thank you for having stayed at the hotel and for posting a reveiw of your stay. I want to personally apologize if the Service Team at the hotel failed to treated you as anything but the truly valued guest that you are. There is no excuse for a guest to be treated with anything but a true feeling of warmth and hospitality, and if this was not the case during your check-in I am truly sorry. I assure you that the issue you have raised will be discussed with all of the team members involved.

Again thank you for taking the time to have posted your review and supplying the hotel with this crucial feedback about your experience at the hotel.
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 8, 2012

On behalf of my organization, a prominent local university, I coordinate an annual conference-style event for professionals and advocates who work in youth development. Prior to 2011, this event was held at a large public facility in Center City until we realized we needed to "upgrade" the venue. Hilton was the choice, much to our delight, and we haven't looked back since. Our contact is a gentleman named Randy who is simply a hospitality all-star. Each of the last two years, he has: worked with us to reserve the plush Grand Ballroom (stellar accommodations); been available and pleasantly responsive to numerous inquiries and requests; and generously offered several delightful and complimentary perks. Randy, his team (which includes Paula, Gerardo, and Steve) and wait staff have a commendable way of making you feel as though your satisfaction is vastly more important to them than your rental fee. My colleagues and I have been exceptionally pleased with our event experience at the Hilton Philadelphia City Avenue and I am more than happy to spend this time and energy touting the excellence of Randy and his crew.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for posting a review of you stay and for holding your company's event at the hotel. I was very pleased to read that all aspects of your stay and meeting were pleasant and enjoyable and that the Catering and Service Team met or exceeded your needs and expectations. I will be sure to share your very king comments with all members of the team. I look forward to having you and your company here again in the near future. Thank you.