“Worst Experience”

Hilton Philadelphia City Avenue
Ranked #47 of 88 Hotels in Philadelphia
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed October 28, 2012

Rude staff, not clean. You learn to expect more from a Hilton Hotel after staying at their locations 2-3 times a week. When you run across one that does not stand up to the brand standards, I just don't go back again. The manager could barley even look at me when I was talking to him, he was more interested in other things issues. 30 seconds of a guests time is not too much to expect.

I had planned to stay for two nights over the weekend, but I checked out on Saturday morning, and checked into another Hilton location, where you get what you expect from the rates that you pay.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Mark K
Brian S, General Manager at Hilton Philadelphia City Avenue, responded to this reviewResponded November 1, 2012

We are sorry that you had an unpleasant experience during your stay with us. At Hilton, we always aim to ensure every guest feels cared for, values and respected and we regret this was not your experience. Please accept our apology for the poor service you received and know that your comments will be used as a reminer of how important our guest interactions really are. your feedback will help us to better deliver our brand standards moving forward. Guest satisfaction is very important to us and we try hard to make sure all of our guests have a rewarding stay.

Thank you again for your feedback and we hope that you will consider staying with us again.

Brian Sheridan

Reviewed October 13, 2012

We stayed here because a family event was being held in the hotel. Room was comfortable and good-sized. Towels were large and fluffy, but I did have to ask for an extra set of towels for both nights of our stay (we like 3 sets for the 2 of us). Parking is not too convenient. We used valet parking because we were "in and out" several times, but the self-park lot is a good walk from the hotel and charges each time you go in and out. The event was well-done - the service for cocktail hour and event was excellent, and food was very good, especially appetizer buffet. Convenient access from highway, lots of shopping and eating choices around.

Room Tip: Rooms with a view over the lake are west facing, so get warm sun in the afternoon (but no bright sun...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Brian S, General Manager at Hilton Philadelphia City Avenue, responded to this reviewResponded October 16, 2012

I want to thank you for staying at the hotel and for having taken the time to post a review. I was very plreased to read that the hotel and it's Service Team seemed to have met your overall expectations and that your stay was an enjoyable one. I will make sure that I share your very kind comments with all members of the team.

Again thank you very much for your feedback and I hope that you will choose the Hilton Philadelphia City Avenue the next time you are in the area for lesiure or business. Please have a wonderful day.

Reviewed October 12, 2012

I stayed here for one night while attending a conference at the hotel. I noticed the mixed reviews and was a bit leery, but was pleasantly surprised with everything.
Check in was quick and smooth, room was nice, good size, and comfy beds. Main drawback would have to be thin walls, but other than that, I would recommend or stay here again as well. The front desk was always helpful, bellman was great as was valet.
We had a nice buffet breakfast and dinner at Delmonico's was amazing!!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Brian S, General Manager at Hilton Philadelphia City Avenue, responded to this reviewResponded October 13, 2012

I want to thank you for having stayed at the hotel and for posting a review of your stay. I was very pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay and the hotel and its service team seemed to have met you needs and expectations. I will ensure that I pass along your very kind comments to all members of the team here at the hotel.

Again thank you for your review and I hope that you will choose the Hilton Philadelphia City Avenue the next time you are in the area. Thank you.

Reviewed September 24, 2012

We had to be in Philly for a wedding & this hotel was a good location for us. The price was OK and the room surprised us with a fridge--unusual for a Hilton. However, there was no coffee shop & only a $30 (for 2) buffet breakfast. We walked to a nearby Starbucks for coffee & a bagel. The other nice thing was free internet in the business center.

They did try to charge us $10 a day for overnight parking. We didn't use their valet service & self parked in the nearby $5 outdoor parking lot. We complained & they took the charge off. But I hate being nickel & dimed & these hotels are very good at that!

We also had to ask 4 times to get our room cleaned.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Brian S, General Manager at Hilton Philadelphia City Avenue, responded to this reviewResponded October 2, 2012

I want to thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay at the hotel. I was of course happy to read that you found your room comfortable and that the hotel provided you with amenities that you found to be of value. I did take note of you comments regarding pricing for breakfast and valet parking and assure you that the guest's perceived value for the dollars being spent is one of our highest priorities. I also made note of the delay you encountered in having your room cleaned and refreshed and I would like to offer you my sincere apologies for this delay in service. I have passed this comment on to the appropriate team members.

Again thank you for posting your review and I hope that you will again choose the Hilton City Avenue the next time you are in the Philadelphia area.

Reviewed September 20, 2012

My husband and I had our wedding at the Hilton Philadelphia City Avenue in the Spring of 2012 in the brand new beautiful ballroom. Randy Schaller, the Director of Catering, and his team tended to every detail helping to make our wedding spectacular! The planning process was easy under Randy’s guidance. The service, presentation, and food were fabulous! We would highly recommend the Hilton Philadelphia City Avenue.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank SDL12

I want to thank you for taking the time to post a review of your stay and for having chosen the Hilton City Avenue as the location for hosting your event. It was a pleasure to read that Randy and all members of the Service Team here at the hotel were able to contribute to making your wedding day such a wonderful and joyous one. If there is anything that we as members of the hotel team can do for you please do not hesitate to contact us. Thank you.

Reviewed September 17, 2012

Over-crowded "venue" hotel, rundown, terrible parking options (valet slow and self park limited), huge hotel and lots of noise from halls, etc. Staff extremely unresponsive for help. Lots of things didn't work in my room and only some items attended too. The hotel's paid internet service interferred with my free aircard and I was unable to get any internet entire time there. Help desk wasn't helpful.
Second time staying here for family event and will know better next time and stay downtown even if it means more money because this place is unbearable. Also bad traffic getting to/from hotel to in city sightseeing...so no reason to ever stay here

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank missyltc

I want to thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay at the hotel and for your frank and honest feedback. Needless to say I am truly sorry that both the hotel and its Service Team did not provide you with the stay that you were expecting and for that i would like to offer you my sincere apologies. I have taken the liberty of sharing your review with all of the appropriate team members so that the necessary corrective steps may be taken so that the issues you expereinced do not repeat themselves in the future.

Again thank you for posting your review and I assure you that it has been taken to heart and is being acted upon.

Reviewed September 13, 2012

My daughter's wedding ceremony, cocktail hour and reception was at this fabulous venue this past weekend. I'll post pictures of the Garden Ballroom where it took place. (The other pictures posted here are old and before it's renovation.)

As far as I know, the hotel renovation was recently completed March 2012 and in my opinion, they did a stellar job. The lobby is stunning. The pictures online do not do it justice because you can't feel the positive and exciting vibe you get when you walk through the doors. I loved everything about this hotel. From the fabulous decor and magnificent Garden Ballroom to the friendly valets and bellmen, wait staff and housekeeping. We had 19 rooms, and all of our guests were thrilled with everything.

Randy Schaller, director of catering, did an exceptional job. He is very professional and you can count on him to get things done. He is the person that keeps everything in control. Thank you again Randy! I'd like to mention Jessica Augustine. She was so friendly and extremely helpful any time I called.

So my advice if you are looking for a fabulous place for a wedding, Bar or Bat Mitzvah or any special occasion, RUN... do not walk, and check out The Hilton Philadelphia City Avenue.

Room Tip: Request a water view. it was really lovely. For me the bed was too firm for my comfort. I am used to...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Brian S, General Manager at Hilton Philadelphia City Avenue, responded to this reviewResponded September 14, 2012

I want to thank you for taking the time to have posted a review of your daughter's wedding and your recent stay at the hotel. I will be sure to share with all of the team members here at the hotel your very kind comments as I am sure that they will be greatly appreciated by all involved. If there is any other way in which the team here at the hotel can be of assistance to you in the future please do not hesitate to contact us. Thank you.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Philadelphia
Crowne Plaza Philadelphia West
#66 of 88 in Philadelphia
Philadelphia Marriott West
#1 of 1 in West Conshohocken
City Center East
Hilton Garden Inn Philadelphia Center City

Been to Hilton Philadelphia City Avenue? Share your experiences!