“Comfortable”

Hilton Philadelphia City Avenue
Ranked #49 of 88 Hotels in Philadelphia
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed September 24, 2012

We had to be in Philly for a wedding & this hotel was a good location for us. The price was OK and the room surprised us with a fridge--unusual for a Hilton. However, there was no coffee shop & only a $30 (for 2) buffet breakfast. We walked to a nearby Starbucks for coffee & a bagel. The other nice thing was free internet in the business center.

They did try to charge us $10 a day for overnight parking. We didn't use their valet service & self parked in the nearby $5 outdoor parking lot. We complained & they took the charge off. But I hate being nickel & dimed & these hotels are very good at that!

We also had to ask 4 times to get our room cleaned.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Brian S, General Manager at Hilton Philadelphia City Avenue, responded to this reviewResponded October 2, 2012

I want to thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay at the hotel. I was of course happy to read that you found your room comfortable and that the hotel provided you with amenities that you found to be of value. I did take note of you comments regarding pricing for breakfast and valet parking and assure you that the guest's perceived value for the dollars being spent is one of our highest priorities. I also made note of the delay you encountered in having your room cleaned and refreshed and I would like to offer you my sincere apologies for this delay in service. I have passed this comment on to the appropriate team members.

Again thank you for posting your review and I hope that you will again choose the Hilton City Avenue the next time you are in the Philadelphia area.

Reviewed September 20, 2012

My husband and I had our wedding at the Hilton Philadelphia City Avenue in the Spring of 2012 in the brand new beautiful ballroom. Randy Schaller, the Director of Catering, and his team tended to every detail helping to make our wedding spectacular! The planning process was easy under Randy’s guidance. The service, presentation, and food were fabulous! We would highly recommend the Hilton Philadelphia City Avenue.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank SDL12

I want to thank you for taking the time to post a review of your stay and for having chosen the Hilton City Avenue as the location for hosting your event. It was a pleasure to read that Randy and all members of the Service Team here at the hotel were able to contribute to making your wedding day such a wonderful and joyous one. If there is anything that we as members of the hotel team can do for you please do not hesitate to contact us. Thank you.

Reviewed September 17, 2012

Over-crowded "venue" hotel, rundown, terrible parking options (valet slow and self park limited), huge hotel and lots of noise from halls, etc. Staff extremely unresponsive for help. Lots of things didn't work in my room and only some items attended too. The hotel's paid internet service interferred with my free aircard and I was unable to get any internet entire time there. Help desk wasn't helpful.
Second time staying here for family event and will know better next time and stay downtown even if it means more money because this place is unbearable. Also bad traffic getting to/from hotel to in city sightseeing...so no reason to ever stay here

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else
2  Thank missyltc

I want to thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay at the hotel and for your frank and honest feedback. Needless to say I am truly sorry that both the hotel and its Service Team did not provide you with the stay that you were expecting and for that i would like to offer you my sincere apologies. I have taken the liberty of sharing your review with all of the appropriate team members so that the necessary corrective steps may be taken so that the issues you expereinced do not repeat themselves in the future.

Again thank you for posting your review and I assure you that it has been taken to heart and is being acted upon.

Reviewed September 13, 2012

My daughter's wedding ceremony, cocktail hour and reception was at this fabulous venue this past weekend. I'll post pictures of the Garden Ballroom where it took place. (The other pictures posted here are old and before it's renovation.)

As far as I know, the hotel renovation was recently completed March 2012 and in my opinion, they did a stellar job. The lobby is stunning. The pictures online do not do it justice because you can't feel the positive and exciting vibe you get when you walk through the doors. I loved everything about this hotel. From the fabulous decor and magnificent Garden Ballroom to the friendly valets and bellmen, wait staff and housekeeping. We had 19 rooms, and all of our guests were thrilled with everything.

Randy Schaller, director of catering, did an exceptional job. He is very professional and you can count on him to get things done. He is the person that keeps everything in control. Thank you again Randy! I'd like to mention Jessica Augustine. She was so friendly and extremely helpful any time I called.

So my advice if you are looking for a fabulous place for a wedding, Bar or Bat Mitzvah or any special occasion, RUN... do not walk, and check out The Hilton Philadelphia City Avenue.

Room Tip: Request a water view. it was really lovely. For me the bed was too firm for my comfort. I am used to...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Brian S, General Manager at Hilton Philadelphia City Avenue, responded to this reviewResponded September 14, 2012

I want to thank you for taking the time to have posted a review of your daughter's wedding and your recent stay at the hotel. I will be sure to share with all of the team members here at the hotel your very kind comments as I am sure that they will be greatly appreciated by all involved. If there is any other way in which the team here at the hotel can be of assistance to you in the future please do not hesitate to contact us. Thank you.

Reviewed September 13, 2012

My sister's wedding was hosted here and it was spectacular. We could not have been more pleased with everything, especially the staff. The catering staff at this hotel run by Randy & Gerardo is as efficient as it gets in this business. Not only that, they were incredibly accommodating and know how to run a party unlike some venues, like some of these suburban country clubs. This was not my first wedding here and I can safely place my stamp of approval on this venue for your wedding/party. As long as these two gentlemen and running the show here, you really do not have much to worry about. Just hope that all the other vendors you may have hired are on par with these gentlemen.

ps: We stayed next door at the Homewood Suites and hence I cannot speak for the sleeping rooms at this Hilton.

Room Tip: Homewood Suites is located right beside this Hilton and is attached to the Hotel via a corridor. Man...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Brian S, General Manager at Hilton Philadelphia City Avenue, responded to this reviewResponded September 15, 2012

Thank you very much for taking the time to fill out a review from your sister's wedding, your very kind comments are greatly appreciated and I assure you that they will be shared with all of the team members who were involved in helping to make your sister's wedding so enjoyable. I will also share your very positive comments with the team at our sister hotel.

Again thank you for taking the time to have posted a review and if there is anyway that we may be of assitance to you in the future please do not hesitate to contact us.

Reviewed September 13, 2012

I checked into this hotel with an expectation that this would meet Hilton Hotel Standards. It does not. I wonder (and did not ask) if this was a franchise property or Hilton Corporate, not that it excuses my observations. I see the Manager's apology, but as of today, this hotel is no better than the worst reviews. I stay in hotels about 100 or more nights a year, so yes, I know hotels. By the way, I was told he works "normal" business hours: 9-5. Not even banks work those hours any more.

Here are my observations. (Room 813)

1. Arrival went without incident and was efficient. Staff at desk were friendly, but when asked about why they did not honor my HHonors room request they just said that the hotel was "busy."
2. It looked like there was new carpet in my room but the room looked old and tired. See attached picture of the "blond" work desk with missing hardware on the drawer.
3. The bed was clean and comfortable, and this was a saving grace.
4. See the picture of the mold growing on the grout in the shower. There is NO excuse why housekeeping had not reported this and corrected it.
5. The HHonors lounge was a small living room. There were very few tables and this room was obviously dedicated to drinking and TV watching. At breakfast there was almost no place to sit where one could actually eat.

The hotel itself looks dated and could use a bit of refurbishing. I did order room service once and it was good, but pricy for what I got.

I would have to think twice about staying here again. The only reason I would return would be the bed and, oh yes, the nifty way you can control your TV with your iPhone. No need to handle the nasty TV remote.

Room Tip: Choose the west facing rooms with a view of the reservoir. It is quite nice.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business

I want to thank you very much for staying at the hotel and for posting this review, your frank and honest feedback is greatly appreciated. I am truly sorry that the hotel and it's team did not meet your expectations for all aspects of your stay and I want to assure you that your comments have been taken to heart and are being acted upon. I also want you to know that I have also with the team here at the hotel the positive aspects of your stay that you have pointed out as these are strong points to build on.

Again thank you for taking the time to bring these issues to my attention and I apologize that we did not have the opportunity to meet and discuss your concerns in person when you were at the hotel. If you would care to contact me at any time I am at the hotel from 7:30am until 8:00pm Monday through Saturday. Thank you and have a wonderful day.

Reviewed September 10, 2012

the food in the Polo Lounge was very bad, had a turkey club sandwich and found 2 bones in the sandwich, manager said that happens other guest had a prime rib sandwich which was very tuff and hard to chew. Ice machine on 6th floor was not working, room was not cleaned or made up, staff was not friendly at all. I would not go back. My family had a total of 7 rooms for the weekend and we all had about the same bad experience here with billing errors uncleaned rooms or rude staff

1  Thank Tom R

Thank you for taking the time to have posted a review of your recent stay at the hotel, your frank and honest feedback is greatly appreciated. I would like offer my apologies for the hotel and the staff not having met your expectations during your stay and I assure you that the issues you have raised will be addressed with all of the team members involved.

Again thank you for taking the time to post the review and if there is anyway that the hotel may be of assistance to you in the future please do not hesitate to contact us. Thank you.