“Spectacular wedding!”

Hilton Philadelphia City Avenue
Ranked #48 of 88 Hotels in Philadelphia
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed September 13, 2012

My daughter's wedding ceremony, cocktail hour and reception was at this fabulous venue this past weekend. I'll post pictures of the Garden Ballroom where it took place. (The other pictures posted here are old and before it's renovation.)

As far as I know, the hotel renovation was recently completed March 2012 and in my opinion, they did a stellar job. The lobby is stunning. The pictures online do not do it justice because you can't feel the positive and exciting vibe you get when you walk through the doors. I loved everything about this hotel. From the fabulous decor and magnificent Garden Ballroom to the friendly valets and bellmen, wait staff and housekeeping. We had 19 rooms, and all of our guests were thrilled with everything.

Randy Schaller, director of catering, did an exceptional job. He is very professional and you can count on him to get things done. He is the person that keeps everything in control. Thank you again Randy! I'd like to mention Jessica Augustine. She was so friendly and extremely helpful any time I called.

So my advice if you are looking for a fabulous place for a wedding, Bar or Bat Mitzvah or any special occasion, RUN... do not walk, and check out The Hilton Philadelphia City Avenue.

Room Tip: Request a water view. it was really lovely. For me the bed was too firm for my comfort. I am used to...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Brian S, General Manager at Hilton Philadelphia City Avenue, responded to this reviewResponded September 14, 2012

I want to thank you for taking the time to have posted a review of your daughter's wedding and your recent stay at the hotel. I will be sure to share with all of the team members here at the hotel your very kind comments as I am sure that they will be greatly appreciated by all involved. If there is any other way in which the team here at the hotel can be of assistance to you in the future please do not hesitate to contact us. Thank you.

Reviewed September 13, 2012

My sister's wedding was hosted here and it was spectacular. We could not have been more pleased with everything, especially the staff. The catering staff at this hotel run by Randy & Gerardo is as efficient as it gets in this business. Not only that, they were incredibly accommodating and know how to run a party unlike some venues, like some of these suburban country clubs. This was not my first wedding here and I can safely place my stamp of approval on this venue for your wedding/party. As long as these two gentlemen and running the show here, you really do not have much to worry about. Just hope that all the other vendors you may have hired are on par with these gentlemen.

ps: We stayed next door at the Homewood Suites and hence I cannot speak for the sleeping rooms at this Hilton.

Room Tip: Homewood Suites is located right beside this Hilton and is attached to the Hotel via a corridor. Man...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Brian S, General Manager at Hilton Philadelphia City Avenue, responded to this reviewResponded September 15, 2012

Thank you very much for taking the time to fill out a review from your sister's wedding, your very kind comments are greatly appreciated and I assure you that they will be shared with all of the team members who were involved in helping to make your sister's wedding so enjoyable. I will also share your very positive comments with the team at our sister hotel.

Again thank you for taking the time to have posted a review and if there is anyway that we may be of assitance to you in the future please do not hesitate to contact us.

Reviewed September 13, 2012

I checked into this hotel with an expectation that this would meet Hilton Hotel Standards. It does not. I wonder (and did not ask) if this was a franchise property or Hilton Corporate, not that it excuses my observations. I see the Manager's apology, but as of today, this hotel is no better than the worst reviews. I stay in hotels about 100 or more nights a year, so yes, I know hotels. By the way, I was told he works "normal" business hours: 9-5. Not even banks work those hours any more.

Here are my observations. (Room 813)

1. Arrival went without incident and was efficient. Staff at desk were friendly, but when asked about why they did not honor my HHonors room request they just said that the hotel was "busy."
2. It looked like there was new carpet in my room but the room looked old and tired. See attached picture of the "blond" work desk with missing hardware on the drawer.
3. The bed was clean and comfortable, and this was a saving grace.
4. See the picture of the mold growing on the grout in the shower. There is NO excuse why housekeeping had not reported this and corrected it.
5. The HHonors lounge was a small living room. There were very few tables and this room was obviously dedicated to drinking and TV watching. At breakfast there was almost no place to sit where one could actually eat.

The hotel itself looks dated and could use a bit of refurbishing. I did order room service once and it was good, but pricy for what I got.

I would have to think twice about staying here again. The only reason I would return would be the bed and, oh yes, the nifty way you can control your TV with your iPhone. No need to handle the nasty TV remote.

Room Tip: Choose the west facing rooms with a view of the reservoir. It is quite nice.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business

I want to thank you very much for staying at the hotel and for posting this review, your frank and honest feedback is greatly appreciated. I am truly sorry that the hotel and it's team did not meet your expectations for all aspects of your stay and I want to assure you that your comments have been taken to heart and are being acted upon. I also want you to know that I have also with the team here at the hotel the positive aspects of your stay that you have pointed out as these are strong points to build on.

Again thank you for taking the time to bring these issues to my attention and I apologize that we did not have the opportunity to meet and discuss your concerns in person when you were at the hotel. If you would care to contact me at any time I am at the hotel from 7:30am until 8:00pm Monday through Saturday. Thank you and have a wonderful day.

Reviewed September 10, 2012

the food in the Polo Lounge was very bad, had a turkey club sandwich and found 2 bones in the sandwich, manager said that happens other guest had a prime rib sandwich which was very tuff and hard to chew. Ice machine on 6th floor was not working, room was not cleaned or made up, staff was not friendly at all. I would not go back. My family had a total of 7 rooms for the weekend and we all had about the same bad experience here with billing errors uncleaned rooms or rude staff

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Tom R

Thank you for taking the time to have posted a review of your recent stay at the hotel, your frank and honest feedback is greatly appreciated. I would like offer my apologies for the hotel and the staff not having met your expectations during your stay and I assure you that the issues you have raised will be addressed with all of the team members involved.

Again thank you for taking the time to post the review and if there is anyway that the hotel may be of assistance to you in the future please do not hesitate to contact us. Thank you.

Reviewed September 8, 2012

We stayed here because we attended a wedding in the area. There were 5 weddings over labor day weekend. The ballroom and adjacent public space looked very elegant, clean, well lit, etc.

However the lodging experience was ok, but not great.

Lobby was jammed with guests coming/going from the various weddings being held there that weekend. There were only 2 staff at the front desk and they were clearly working hard to deal with the crowds. Once we got to the front of the line checkin was fast. Unfortunately we got there around 12:30 PM. Normal checkin is at 3 PM and no rooms were ready.

We went to have lunch in the hotel restaurant. Service was very slow. There were hardly any diners in the restaurant -- it was not obvious why the service was slow. Food was ok. There were too many TVs in the restaurant -- at every angle was another TV tuned to a different sporting event.

The room was ready by 1:45 PM. At that time we had to leave to go to the wedding . We left suitcases with the bellhop and went off to the wedding.

We got back at about 9 PM. Neither room key worked -- we had to have them redone. They worked the 2nd time.

Room was clean and quite large. We wanted to ask a question at the front desk but the phone in the room was dead (both the unit on the desk and the next to the bed).

Room was fine -- everything else worked as expected. We had a view of nearby industrial rooftops, but no big deal -- we weren't there for sight seeing.

Breakfast at the hotel restaurant was better than previous day's lunch. Service was prompt and courteous. The buffet was well stocked and had tasty fruit. The omelette and oatmeal were good. The coffee was not very good. There is a starbucks about 2 blocks away.

Room Tip: the odd numbered rooms seem to be on the side with the reservoir view
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay at the Hilton City Avenue, your frank and honest feedback is greatly appreciated. I was of course disappointed to read that while you enjoyed certain aspects of your stay, there were certain areas where the hotel could have done better. I will ensure that your comments are shared with all members of the team so that improvements can be made.

Again thank you for posting your reveiw and for having stayed at the Hilton City Avenue. If there is anyway in which the hotel or its team can be of assistance to you in the future please do not hesitate to contact us. Thank you.

Reviewed September 7, 2012

We had our daughter s wedding reception at The Hilton on City Avenue at the end of June and it was a phenomenal event. The ballroom was beautiful, the staff was professional and accomodating, the food was plentiful and delicious. The dance floor was a a great size with plenty of room. It was the perfect evening and our guests raved about the entire night from cocktail hour through to the end of the evening. Every aspect was perfect. Thank you Randy Schaller!!!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family

I want to thank you for taking the time to have psoted a reveiw of your daughter's wedding and was very happy to read that Randy and the team here at the hotel met your expectations and helped to make your daughter's special day so enjoyable. I will ensure that I share your very kind comments with Randy and all of his team.

Again thank you for posting your review and having your event at the Hilton City Avenue and if there is anyway that the hotel and its team can be of any assistance to you in the future please do not hesitate to contact us. Thank you.

Reviewed September 3, 2012

This was my second stay in this hotel. I have previously reveiwed and again I cannot fault anything in this hotel, I had a room overlooking the canal. The room is spacious and clean. The hotel staff are friendly and welcoming, check in took only 5 minutes! The breakfast has a wide variety to choose from. Love this hotel and look forward to going back!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business

I want to thank you for taking the time to fill out a reveiw of your recent stay at the Hilton City Avenue, you very kind comments are greatly appreciated and will be shared with all of the team members. It is always nice to read when the team here at the hotel has met a guest's expectations and helped to turn the guest into a repeat customer.

Again thank you for taking the time to post a review and if there is anyway that we may be of assistance to you in the future please do not hesitate to contact the hotel. Thank you.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Philadelphia
0 mi away
Philadelphia Marriott West
Philadelphia Marriott West
#1 of 1 in West Conshohocken
Four Points by Sheraton Philadelphia Northeast

Been to Hilton Philadelphia City Avenue? Share your experiences!