“Extravagant Wedding” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hilton Philadelphia City Avenue

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Hilton Philadelphia City Avenue
Ranked #47 of 85 Hotels in Philadelphia
GreenLeadersBronze level
Philadelphia, PA
“Extravagant Wedding”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 7, 2012

We had our daughter s wedding reception at The Hilton on City Avenue at the end of June and it was a phenomenal event. The ballroom was beautiful, the staff was professional and accomodating, the food was plentiful and delicious. The dance floor was a a great size with plenty of room. It was the perfect evening and our guests raved about the entire night from cocktail hour through to the end of the evening. Every aspect was perfect. Thank you Randy Schaller!!!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Brian S, General Manager at Hilton Philadelphia City Avenue, responded to this review, September 15, 2012
I want to thank you for taking the time to have psoted a reveiw of your daughter's wedding and was very happy to read that Randy and the team here at the hotel met your expectations and helped to make your daughter's special day so enjoyable. I will ensure that I share your very kind comments with Randy and all of his team.

Again thank you for posting your review and having your event at the Hilton City Avenue and if there is anyway that the hotel and its team can be of any assistance to you in the future please do not hesitate to contact us. Thank you.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Cavan, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2012

This was my second stay in this hotel. I have previously reveiwed and again I cannot fault anything in this hotel, I had a room overlooking the canal. The room is spacious and clean. The hotel staff are friendly and welcoming, check in took only 5 minutes! The breakfast has a wide variety to choose from. Love this hotel and look forward to going back!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
I want to thank you for taking the time to fill out a reveiw of your recent stay at the Hilton City Avenue, you very kind comments are greatly appreciated and will be shared with all of the team members. It is always nice to read when the team here at the hotel has met a guest's expectations and helped to turn the guest into a repeat customer.

Again thank you for taking the time to post a review and if there is anyway that we may be of assistance to you in the future please do not hesitate to contact the hotel. Thank you.
Idaho Falls, Idaho
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2012

This hotel is very close to Philadelphia University and I'd recommend to parents visiting their students. The best impression is the service by the hotel staff from the Bell Hop, John, to the Breakfast hostess. Breakfast is complimentary and made by a chef at your request. The room furniture is a little old, but is fine.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Brian S, General Manager at Hilton Philadelphia City Avenue, responded to this review, August 28, 2012
I would like to thank you for your recent stay at the Hilton Philadelphia City Avenue and for taking the time to have posted a review of your stay. I was pleased to read that the hotel and especially the staff met your expectations. It is the goal of the hotel and its Service Team to ensure that each guest has a memorable stay and it is always a pleasrue to read when this goal has been achieved. I will be sure to share your review with all of the team members here at the hotel especially John the Doorman and the Breakfast team at Delmonico's.

Again thank you for staying at the hotel and for your very kind comments. I hope that you will again be a guest at the hotel the next time you are in the area visiting Philadelphia University.
New York, NY
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2012

I was nervous about staying here based on some of the negative reviews. However, it was the most conveniently located for a recent work trip to the Main Line, so I sucked it up and took the risk.

Luckily, I was pleasantly surprised.

Don't get me wrong, the hotel could definitely use a facelift. It's not so much dated (just traditional) but the wear-and-tear has definitely taken its toll. Hopefully they're due for an upgrade sometime soon.

That said, I found the staff very warm & helpful. It was so unexpected that I was actually taken by surprise by all the smiles & hellos (not to mention them happily facilitating a credit card authorization from my company and my need to send a few faxes.)

The rooms were fine (ask for a reservoir view). Nothing to write home about but decent enough for a place to relax for a few hours before and after work.

I was actually most worried about the neighborhood, as I was going to be staying alone and knew I would be getting back late some nights. It turned out to be fine - I used the valet ($10/day with unlimited in and out privileges; there's self-parking down the street) for added security but I never felt unsafe. The hotel is mostly surrounded by office buildings, but there are also some shops & restaurants close by.

There aren't many options outside of the city and if you need to stay in the area (or are looking for a less-expensive hotel with proximity to the city), the hotel should suit you just fine.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Brian S, General Manager at Hilton Philadelphia City Avenue, responded to this review, August 22, 2012
I want to thank you for staying at the hotel and for taking the time to post a review of your stay. Your feedback is truly appreciated and valued. I was pleased to read that you came away from your stay with the feeling of having been treated with genuine sense of hospitality and friendliness. It is the goal of the hotel and its Service Team to treat each and every guest as the truly valued individual that they are.

Again thank you for staying at the hotel and I hope that you will again choose the Philadelphia Hilton City Avenue the next time you are in the area on business. Thank you.
Madison, WI
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2012

...it was probably a pretty good place. Now, it's a dated Hilton out in the burbs, geared for weddings, meetings, and such, and there's not much around it. We stayed on the "concierge" floor, and at least it was quiet. The complimentary breakfast/lounge was nothing special, except for the attendants who were very nice. I think the Griswold's were there while we were, because they were camped out watching TV while everyone else was trying to find a place to eat their cheerios.
Probably not again...

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Brian S, General Manager at Hilton Philadelphia City Avenue, responded to this review, August 17, 2012
I want to thank you for having stayed the Hilton City Avenue and for taking the time to post a review. Your frank and honest feedback is greatly appreciated and truly valued. I will be sharing your review with all of the appropriate team members so that we can continue to strive to improve the operation of the hotel and provide each guest with a memorable stay. I will of course make sure that I pass on to the Executive Lounge staff your very kind comments about the service that they provided to you during your stay.

Again thank you for staying at the hotel and for your review. I hope that you will again stay at the Hilton City Avenue the next time you are in the Philadelphia area.
Des Plaines, Illinois
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2012

The girl at the front desk did not know what she was doing and needed 'some' help from the manager who in plain and borderline disturbing manner denied all of our requests regarding HiltonHonors perks and privileges (HH Gold guest). Everything started with the check-in...and from there it was downhill! At the breakfast room the next morning ALL the employees (except waitress) got the attitude and treated me like I was a second-class guest... One of them just kept calling me 'girlfriend' - rude. We also had late check-out however because of the lack of communication at the front desk it apparently did not register with everyone since a guy showed up at our door asking when we were checking out (no greetings & apologies)!
I was happy to leave this less than mediocre hotel behind...I know for sure that we will never return to this place in the future and will warn everyone who plans on doing so!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank john h
I want to thank you for staying at the Hilton City Avenue and for taking the time to have posted a review. Your feed back is greatly appreciated and truly valued. Needless to say I was disappointed to read that your stay was not as enjoyable as it should have been and for that I would like to offer you my most sincere apologies. I will be contacting you off line to go over in more detail the issues that you encountered.
Rosemont, Illinois
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2012

I've stayed at this hotel quite a few times on business. It's an older facility that has been maintained reasonably well. The furnishings in some of the rooms are pretty tired and the carpet in many of the rooms is in dire need of a thorough cleaning.

In terms of the staff, some are very pleasant but myself and other members of my team have had several notable bad experiences ranging from the front desk to the host at the steak house, which has pretty good food but terribly slow service, by the way.

I would probably rate this place a 2...low for a Hilton...barely suited for business travelers. I've since been avoiding this place whenever possible...but at my firm we don't always get a choice where we stay when traveling to see clients...so at some point I'm sure I will be back. I can assure you that I won't be eating there, however.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for having stayed at the Hilton City Avenue and for taking the time to have posted a review. The feedback you have provided is greatly appreciated. I am truly sorry that not all of your recent stays have been as satisfactory as they should have been and I would like to offer you my sincere apologies if the hotel and its Service Team have not met your expectations on a consistent basis. I will be contacting you off line to discuss in more detail some of the issues that you have encountered.

Again thank you for staying at the hotel in the past and for your feedback.