“Totally fine if you need to stay in the area.”

Hilton Philadelphia City Avenue
Ranked #48 of 89 Hotels in Philadelphia
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed August 21, 2012

I was nervous about staying here based on some of the negative reviews. However, it was the most conveniently located for a recent work trip to the Main Line, so I sucked it up and took the risk.

Luckily, I was pleasantly surprised.

Don't get me wrong, the hotel could definitely use a facelift. It's not so much dated (just traditional) but the wear-and-tear has definitely taken its toll. Hopefully they're due for an upgrade sometime soon.

That said, I found the staff very warm & helpful. It was so unexpected that I was actually taken by surprise by all the smiles & hellos (not to mention them happily facilitating a credit card authorization from my company and my need to send a few faxes.)

The rooms were fine (ask for a reservoir view). Nothing to write home about but decent enough for a place to relax for a few hours before and after work.

I was actually most worried about the neighborhood, as I was going to be staying alone and knew I would be getting back late some nights. It turned out to be fine - I used the valet ($10/day with unlimited in and out privileges; there's self-parking down the street) for added security but I never felt unsafe. The hotel is mostly surrounded by office buildings, but there are also some shops & restaurants close by.

There aren't many options outside of the city and if you need to stay in the area (or are looking for a less-expensive hotel with proximity to the city), the hotel should suit you just fine.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
Brian S, General Manager at Hilton Philadelphia City Avenue, responded to this reviewResponded August 22, 2012

I want to thank you for staying at the hotel and for taking the time to post a review of your stay. Your feedback is truly appreciated and valued. I was pleased to read that you came away from your stay with the feeling of having been treated with genuine sense of hospitality and friendliness. It is the goal of the hotel and its Service Team to treat each and every guest as the truly valued individual that they are.

Again thank you for staying at the hotel and I hope that you will again choose the Philadelphia Hilton City Avenue the next time you are in the area on business. Thank you.

Reviewed August 16, 2012

...it was probably a pretty good place. Now, it's a dated Hilton out in the burbs, geared for weddings, meetings, and such, and there's not much around it. We stayed on the "concierge" floor, and at least it was quiet. The complimentary breakfast/lounge was nothing special, except for the attendants who were very nice. I think the Griswold's were there while we were, because they were camped out watching TV while everyone else was trying to find a place to eat their cheerios.
Probably not again...

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Brian S, General Manager at Hilton Philadelphia City Avenue, responded to this reviewResponded August 17, 2012

I want to thank you for having stayed the Hilton City Avenue and for taking the time to post a review. Your frank and honest feedback is greatly appreciated and truly valued. I will be sharing your review with all of the appropriate team members so that we can continue to strive to improve the operation of the hotel and provide each guest with a memorable stay. I will of course make sure that I pass on to the Executive Lounge staff your very kind comments about the service that they provided to you during your stay.

Again thank you for staying at the hotel and for your review. I hope that you will again stay at the Hilton City Avenue the next time you are in the Philadelphia area.

Reviewed August 14, 2012

The girl at the front desk did not know what she was doing and needed 'some' help from the manager who in plain and borderline disturbing manner denied all of our requests regarding HiltonHonors perks and privileges (HH Gold guest). Everything started with the check-in...and from there it was downhill! At the breakfast room the next morning ALL the employees (except waitress) got the attitude and treated me like I was a second-class guest... One of them just kept calling me 'girlfriend' - rude. We also had late check-out however because of the lack of communication at the front desk it apparently did not register with everyone since a guy showed up at our door asking when we were checking out (no greetings & apologies)!
I was happy to leave this less than mediocre hotel behind...I know for sure that we will never return to this place in the future and will warn everyone who plans on doing so!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank john h

I want to thank you for staying at the Hilton City Avenue and for taking the time to have posted a review. Your feed back is greatly appreciated and truly valued. Needless to say I was disappointed to read that your stay was not as enjoyable as it should have been and for that I would like to offer you my most sincere apologies. I will be contacting you off line to go over in more detail the issues that you encountered.

Reviewed August 14, 2012

I've stayed at this hotel quite a few times on business. It's an older facility that has been maintained reasonably well. The furnishings in some of the rooms are pretty tired and the carpet in many of the rooms is in dire need of a thorough cleaning.

In terms of the staff, some are very pleasant but myself and other members of my team have had several notable bad experiences ranging from the front desk to the host at the steak house, which has pretty good food but terribly slow service, by the way.

I would probably rate this place a 2...low for a Hilton...barely suited for business travelers. I've since been avoiding this place whenever possible...but at my firm we don't always get a choice where we stay when traveling to see clients...so at some point I'm sure I will be back. I can assure you that I won't be eating there, however.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business

Thank you for having stayed at the Hilton City Avenue and for taking the time to have posted a review. The feedback you have provided is greatly appreciated. I am truly sorry that not all of your recent stays have been as satisfactory as they should have been and I would like to offer you my sincere apologies if the hotel and its Service Team have not met your expectations on a consistent basis. I will be contacting you off line to discuss in more detail some of the issues that you have encountered.

Again thank you for staying at the hotel in the past and for your feedback.

Reviewed August 14, 2012

just stayed at this Hilton on business. OK hotel and good location, but the staff from bellman, through check-in were "disinterested" at best. Bartender had an attitude. I stay at a lot of Hiltons, Marriotts, Hyatts, etc--this just doesn't stack up.

1  Thank karin k

I want to thank you for having stayed at the Hilton City Avenue and for posting a review of your stay. I would like to offer you my most sincere apologies for the hotel's service team not having intereacted with you with a real sense of hospitality and for not having made you feel truly welcomed. I am going to be contacting you off line so that I may get further details as to your stay. Thank you.

Reviewed August 9, 2012

I'm actually sitting in my hotel room right now, FURIOUS that WiFi doesn't work. I can't tell you how sick I am of it just not working at hotels. Add to that, my Verizon MiFi gets 1 bar of reception everywhere (lobby, restaurant, my room, 12th floor lounge) and my cell phone just plain doesn't work within a half block radius of the hotel. I have to walk out to the street (which is a bit ghetto). It's taking two minutes per page load just to write this review.

The room was nice, the staff were great, the restaurant was nice blah blah but all I really wanted was functional WiFi and a clean room. I don't ask for much. I will not stay at this hotel specifically because the connectivity is poor. Not hard to find a clean room these days. </rant>

Room Tip: Great place to go for the weekend and tune out the world, with the non-functioning cell phones and W...
1  Thank Kelly G
Brian S, General Manager at Hilton Philadelphia City Avenue, responded to this reviewResponded August 14, 2012

I want to thank you for your recent stay at the hotel and for taking the time to post a review of your stay. Needless to say I am truly sorry that you experienced issues with internet connectivity during your stay. I truly understand the importance of the need for today's business traveler to be able to stay connected when on the road and would like to offer you my most sincere apologies if this was not the case during your stay.

I have passed this information on to the appropriate departments so that the issue can be researched to see if there were any problems in particular recently that may have caused a problem with connectivity for the hotel guests.

Again thank you for staying at the hotel and for the review that you posted. The frank and honest feedback that you have supplied is much valued and greatly appreciated. I hope that you will again be a guest of the Philadelphia Hilton City Avenue the next time you are in the Philadelphia area on business, thank you.

Reviewed July 30, 2012

Great hotel with awesome view Of the city. Staff was more than helpful, was awesome. Great hotel with very good economy prices. The rooms were immaculate and very nice. Restaurant was very good. Recommend the breakfast, since it was very plentiful and again the staff was very helpful and courteous. Overall, a very good hotel for any trip or occasion. Very well recommended.

Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Ricanranger
Brian S, General Manager at Hilton Philadelphia City Avenue, responded to this reviewResponded July 31, 2012

I want to thank you for staying at the Philadelphia Hilton City Avenue and for taking the time to post a review of the hotel. Your feed back is greatly appreciated. I was of course very please to read that you enjoyed yur stay and the hotel and it's service team seemed to have met your overall expectations. I hope that you will choose the Hilton City Avenue the next time you are in the Philadelphia area for business or leisure. Thank you and have a wonderful day.