“not up to Hilton standards”

Hilton Philadelphia City Avenue
Ranked #47 of 85 Hotels in Philadelphia
GreenLeadersBronze level
Chicago, Illinois
“not up to Hilton standards”
Reviewed July 24, 2012

I attended the wedding of a dear friend's son this past weekend. Best wedding I've been to--the Please Touch Museum and event were spectacular. Unfortunately, the Hilton hotel the bride's family chose was not at all up to the event. The two days were utterly chaos from check-in to check-out. Badly trained staff, ill-equiped management especially the night manager who misrepresented hotel policy and caused a very poor end to a beautiful evening for the 50-60 guests who came back from wedding to the lounge. Rooms weren't ready when we checked in--one bellman and one parking valet couldn't handle the volume. This place is fine physically and the food was great but the staff was lacking both in number and customer service. I'm a Hilton Honors Gold member and this Philly Hilton doesn't cut it.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
7 Thank emil h
Brian S, General Manager at Hilton Philadelphia City Avenue, responded to this review, July 28, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review from your stay at the the hotel last weekend. I am of course disappointed to read that you were not entirely happy with your stay at the hotel and would like to apologize for the aspects of your stay in which you found the hotel or its service team lacking. In going over your review I did notice a few areas that appeared to have been of great concern to you and I would like to touch on them. With a heavy check-in and check-out on the day in question the hotel did do its best to have as many rooms ready as possible to accommodate requests for early arrivals prior to the standard 4:00pm check-in time, but unfortunately was not able to accommodate every request . I did look over the Valet and Bellman staffing levels and assure you that both areas were staffed to handle the volume of check-ins and most definitely had more than one associate on during peak demand. As to the issue of the bar hours of operation I am truly sorry if there was any confusion, as the bars hours of operation are communicated in advance with the host for all wedding blocks in order to avoid situations such as this from occurring.

Again I would like to thank you for taking the time to write a reivew and I hope that you will again consider staying at the Philadelphia Hilton City Avenue the next time you are in the area for business or leisure. Thank you.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
DC
Reviewed July 23, 2012

We chose this hotel for our wedding. Fortunately that was the only thing that went wrong on our special day. The problems started out small, but snowballed over the weekend to make it a thoroughly unpleasant stay.

We had gift bags made for our guests staying at the hotel, and the hotel was to hand them out to our guests. I had to go down several times to get bags for my guests that were denied them by the check-in staff. No big deal, but a few of my guests were clearly put-out.

The first night our room wasn't cleaned. No big deal I thought. But then my parents mentioned that their room wasn't cleaned. Then a few of my guests mentioned their room wasn't cleaned. When I asked more of my guests if their room was cleaned the answer was always 'no'.

A word of warning: the bar will close early. If there are only a few people in the bar at night, they will just close it before their stated 1am closing time. On Friday, two of my guests were asked to leave the bar at 10:30 because they were closing. The bartenders are not friendly; I probably wouldn't mention that normally, but given everything else, plus a phantom tab that got charged to my Dad's room, I think it's relevant.

They also do not allow you to bring your own beverages into the hotel. So if you had any ideas about drinking beers with your groomsmen, then you will have to spend $127 to have 10 heinekens delivered to your room after a 40 minute wait. Also leave the special bottle of champagne you bought to share with your wife on your wedding night in the car.

I typically never use the services of the guys that help you with your bags, but they were a little insistant. One guy was very good and helpful. Another threw my bag with my laptop onto the cart, and crumpled up my mom's dress.

Our wedding suite was supposed to be ready anytime for check-in the day of the wedding. I even confirmed this on Friday for the Saturday check in. The room was not ready until the afternoon, and I could not set it up for my bride and her party before they got to the hotel.

No one in our party, included me and the bride, were permitted a late check out.

The safe in my mom's room broke, and hotel staff came up to open it. It was actually delaying our departure and we were completely out of the room except for the items left in the safe. The staff opening the safe told us we had to be out of the room ASAP. There was not a single "I hope you enjoyed your stay/sorry about the safe/thanks for choosing Hilton".

The valet cracked up my sister's car. Not much more to say there.

Our wedding party spent about $20,000 at the hotel over the weekend. This was a wedding party of 30, 40 and 50 year olds. All pretty laid back people. All professionals, and most are frequent travelers who are used to the normal service hiccups involved with hotels sometimes. I had not a few, but many, of our guests mention that the hotel was bad. It takes a lot for these people to say anything, let alone mention it to the groom.

I usually am a live and let live person. I'm more likely to hand out praise than criticism. However, this Hilton went above and beyond to complicate an otherwise wonderful weekend. Any single thing by itself would not have warranted a bad review, but we were met at several turns by incompetence, indifference and inhospitable treatment.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
8 Thank KStreetQB
Brian S, General Manager at Hilton Philadelphia City Avenue, responded to this review, August 12, 2012
I want to thank you for taking the time to fill out a review for your recent stay at the hotel. Needless to say I am truly sorry that your stay was not as pleasant an experience as you would have hoped it to have been and I would like to offer you my most sincere apologies if your interactions with any member of the hotel's service team was anything less than hospitable.

I assure you that your frank and honest assesment of your stay is greatly appreciated and that the survey will be reveiwed with all of the appropriate team members. Thank you.

Travelers are raving about these Philadelphia hotels

Pittsburgh, PA
Reviewed July 23, 2012

We recently stayed at the Hilton Philadelphia City Ave for the Phily Tri. My husband was a participant and it was very close to the park. Our reservation came with a free breakfast. It was one of the best breakfasts I've ever had at a hotel chain. It was healthy, abundant, and the service was impeccable. We also enjoyed room service at the hotel during the evening and the food was delicious.

Our room was spacious and very comfortable. We had a great view of the city and the beds were great! They offered fresh fruit-infused water in the hotel lobby and the manager was there to greet us every time we walked in.

My only complaint would have to be parking. I do not love having to valet park every time I leave. But, it wasn't all that bad. They do not make you feel like you have to tip them every time. They were very friendly and willing to help. Right after the race, my husband was just running up to the room to change very quickly and coming back down to the car to go into the city. We explained this. They kept our car right outside the door. It was not a problem.

We would rather pay the high end prices for things like this and stay at a nicer hotel with better clientele. It is worth it!! That is what a Hilton is all about.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank BeachBallerina
Brian S, General Manager at Hilton Philadelphia City Avenue, responded to this review, August 4, 2012
I want to thank you for staying at the hotel on your recent trip to Philadelphia and for taking the time to have posted a review. I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay and that the hotel and its service team met your expectations. I look forward to having you as a guest again the next time your are in the Philadelphia on business or leisure.
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed July 23, 2012

I am CEO of downtown media company and hold business and social events all over the country---UNFORTUNATELY this hotel turned out to be a "Franchise" Hilton not a corporate hotel and they lack the accountability, quality and quantity of staff to serve a classy clientel.

We held black tie wedding at a loca museum for our daughter and had over 100 people staying at this Hilton. This hotel was ill-equipped to deal with even crowd of frat boys heading to a Phillies game much less our many family and friends from out of town and out of country. Embarrassing, frustrating and deceitful.

Check-in was disorganized; bridal party couldn't get into their rooms to change at 2:30, transportation "got lost" to and from the events. Staff couldn't answer questions. Hotel was packed but their was one bell man and one valet. Bar closed early with 75 of us, including the bride and groom--trying to order after the wedding (night manager lied to me citing "state law"--following day found out it was the "Franchisee" hotel policy not state law.

I do business with Hilton routinely--including 700 rooms in February for an event at the Hilton on S Michigan Ave in Chicago. Hilton is a predictably good chain--the Hilton Philadelphia City Avenue howver is a franchisee-owned hotel that cuts corners and is a second-rate experience at best.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank ajweber
Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your stay at the hotel last weekend and for bringing the challenges you experienced to my attention. If the hotel and its service team in anyway failed to have met your expectations I would like to offer you my sincere apologies and I would like to take a moment to address a few of the very important concerns that you have raised. The hotel does close its lobby bar on Friday and Saturday evenings at 1:00 am and this information is conveyed to the guest in the various forms hotel collateral that the guest receives as well as being posted on the hotel's website. Also the hours of operation for the lounge was highlighted in the wedding block contract that would have been sent out to you as the group contact for thre block of rooms.

As to question of early check-ins the hotel's stated check-in time is 4:00pm and while the hotel does try its best to accommodate requests for early check-ins this is wholly dependent on whether the rooms are ready early. With the very high occupancy on the prior evening this did prove difficult, but I do believe that everyone was accommodated by the 4:00pm check-in time.

In regards to the staffing levels for the weekend in question I have reviewed them and while the hotel was indeed busy, all areas of the hotel were in fact staffed properly to handle the volume of business that was in the hotel. I assure you that both the Valet Parkers and Bellmen always had more that one team member scheduled during the peak check-in and check-out periods, and when there was very heavy demand other members of the staff assisted when needed.

Again I would like to offer you my apologies if you were not completely satisfied with your stay and for taking the time to bring your issues to my attention. I hope that you will again think of choosing the the Hilton City Avenue for any rooming needs that may arise in the future. Thank you.
Philadelphia
Reviewed July 22, 2012

I just spent the night at the Hilton on City Ave, and while the rooms were decent, the customer service was atrocious. We had a block of 65 rooms, plus a private brunch for over 100 people. The servers and front desk were nice, but the management and head of security were horrible. About 50 of us arrived back at the hotel at 12:45am and called ahead to let them know we had a large party going to the bar, where we intended to spend a quite a bit of money. We arrived and were only permitted to order one round before calling "Last Call". That would have been fine (but stupid on their part for turning down the business) if we hadn't been given mis-leading information from multiple employees. When the group went to go back to the hotel rooms, security and management asked to search our guests' bags to check for alcohol. This is a group of successful business men and women from all over the country, and we were made to feel like high school children being disciplined. The management was rude and embarrassed our family, who spent a ton of money to make this a memorable experience for our guests. They even went as far as calling the police, who turned around and left because it was obvisouly ridiculous. No one in our group was even out of line, got loud or made a scene.

On top of that, when I handed the Valet my ticket in the morning to get my car, it was returned to me with my front bumper FALLING OFF, as well as dents and scratches all along the side. The head of security and hotel manager had the nerve to insinuate that I had taken my car out overnight and caused the damage myself. I was at a wedding all night and did not drive. The manager refused to apologize and just said that they would be in touch.

I have been a manager at another high end hotel for the past six years, and would be absolutely appalled if my staff ever behaved the way that multiple managers did at the Hilton. They should be ashamed of their lack of customer service. I will not be returning, and the Hilton on City Ave can expect many of these kinds of letters from our guests, as well as a call from my lawyer.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
6 Thank Phils22
HWSPHILADELPHIA, General Manager at Hilton Philadelphia City Avenue, responded to this review, July 24, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback I apologize for the challenges you encountered and would like to take a moment to address a few of your concerns.
Our lounge does close at 1am Friday and Saturday nights. This information is posted in all hotel collateral as well as on our website. In addition, lounge hours of operation were written into your signed agreement as well as verbally discussed with our group sales manager in advance of your event.
Due to local laws pertaining to our liquor license, guests are not permitted to bring alcoholic beverages into the hotel that are not purchased from the hotel. When 5 cases of beer were brought in through the front doors, our security team politely stated our policy. This was not well received by your guests who were rather upset.
In regards to your Valet Parking challenge, the hotel has detailed video surveillance that we will be reaching out to you to share.
I am very sorry that your experience did not meet expectations., and we sincerely hope to have another opportunity to serve you in the future.
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed July 17, 2012

This particular Hilton is not a class act from their management through their staff. The front desk, customer services and help and valets esp. they employ are the most crude, rude and i've heard being of foreign decent they openly profess their hatred of america(ians) reallly! and are difficult to understand or not at all ..maybe a mini english course should be a requirement here!! The pictures are much nicer looking than the what you get there. The place is dirty and customer appreication is not there..i feel it's from the top management down..i don't think this place a higher class resort and if this place is an indication of the attitude of the Hilton Family..it's really a shame and i'd recommend finding another chain of hotels but this one i think is a rare execption of negatives..that need better owner/management and a big overhaul of some personnel.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank DeeMD215
Brian S, General Manager at Hilton Philadelphia City Avenue, responded to this review, August 1, 2012
I want to thank you for having stayed at the hotel on your last visit to the Philadelphia area and for taking the time to have posted a review of your stay. Your feedback was greatly appreciated and will prove of valuable assistance as we continue to strive to provide each and every guest with an exceptional experience during their stay. Thank you
Terceira, Portugal
Reviewed July 9, 2012

We had a King bed room, with views over the reservoir. In one sense, this hotel could be rated 5 stars. Here are the pros - immaculate, professional, nicely appointed rooms, cool, spacious, clean. Provides in-room coffee, 2 water bottles, feather comforter on the bed as well as feather pillows. Beds are firm but have a pillow-top for comfort.

Cons - Our room had a door in the wall, apparently going into an adjoining room. We were able to hear all the conversations of the resident teens next door. Wi-Fi is an extra $10 (Why isn't this included with the room rate, after all 'lower end' hotels do.) Breakfast, a buffet, is $15 + tip. Fifteen dollars? For breakfast? yikes, this is America not Europe.
Parking is a good 300 yards down the road in a rather gloomy, no-man's-land area along the edge of the reservoir. It is only $5 but.....that is $5 every time you go out of the parking lot.

I realize that this hotel is a 'business expense account' hotel, and who cares if they nickel and dime you with all the extras. (One would think in these difficult times, businesses would care about every cent spent). However, bed for bed, space for space, clean bathroom for clean bathroom, I am not convinced Hilton is any better than AmericInn, or other chains that are less expensive.

Room Tip: Don't have a room with an adjoining door. This reduces 'sound' privacy.