“Solid standard hotel”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Solid standard hotel”
Reviewed January 17, 2012

Stayed at this Hilton recently for work and I would say that it's a very solid place. Room was clean, bright and comfortable. Check in and check out were both very easy and the staff was all very eager to help in any way they could.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank DCTerry
HWSPHILADELPHIA, General Manager at Hilton Philadelphia City Avenue, responded to this review, January 18, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We are glad that you enjoyed your experience and hope to welcome you back to the Hilton soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Stamford, Connecticut
Reviewed January 15, 2012

Spent one weekday night on a business trip. Hotel met my expectations for a Hilton hotel. Dinner at Delmonico's restaurant in the hotel was excellent. Only complaint/recommendation is the parking costs $5 in an outdoor lot and is a 100 yard or so walk from hotel. Valet parking is $10, next time I'll pay the extra $5.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
HWSPHILADELPHIA, General Manager at Hilton Philadelphia City Avenue, responded to this review, January 17, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. I'm glad you enjoyed your experience and we hope to serve you again soon.
Purchase, New York
Reviewed December 10, 2011

We stayed here for a campus visit to Haverford College. The hotel is located in the City Line business shopping district, about twenty minutes northwest of downtown. The hotel would be perfect for a business traveler who had multiple stops - it's also convenient to the Main Line, Chestnut Hill, Manayunk, etc. but if you're here to see the Art Museum and Liberty Bell this is not the place. Our room was distinctly average, a bit small, two double beds a bathroom that could have used renovation.I have had nicer at the Hilton Garden Inns., warm fridge.The hotel offered the new Peter Thomas Roth amenities, but shower gel was not provided. There was a nice large LG flat screen. Breakfast at Delmonico was quite good - the omelet guy makes real rolled omelettes, not the egg pancakes that a lot of these buffet "chefs" make and there were cold cuts and smoked salmon. It's buffet only and worth it on the package.Valet parking took a long time bringing our car - I think the garage is a ways off.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the reservoir
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
5 Thank Jazz_and_cocktails
Thank you for your feedback, it is very much appreciated. We sincerely hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Hilton soon!
Northern VA
Reviewed November 30, 2011

Clean, comfortable stay that wasn't super expensive. Make no mistake, this isn't for the budget traveller, but if you travel for business and need to be located near downtown Philly, and have business in the suburbs as I did, the location is great.
Room was a good size, quality bed and great water pressure in the shower. Staff was curteous and when I had a minor problem with my bill they resolved quickly.
Lobby bar was cozy and well appointed. It is just what you want after a day of travel. A quiet place for a drink with a fireplace and ESPN on.
Speaking of tv, they offered a dozen sports channels on the HD tv in room. NHL, MLB, NFL networks plus the four ESPNs and the Big Ten Network.
Charge for parking, Internet, but they do offer package rates that include both for a reasonable charge.

• Stayed November 2011
HWSPHILADELPHIA, General Manager at Hilton Philadelphia City Avenue, responded to this review, December 6, 2011
Thank you for the positive feedback, I'm glad that you enjoyed your experience. We hope to welcome you back to the Hilton soon!
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed November 28, 2011

Stayed for 2 nights over the Thanksgiving weekend. No end to little annoyances; no cot as promised for our 9 year old to sleep on - had to settle for blankets on the floor, foul smell in the room, broken light fixture over bathroom sink, no toilet paper or tissue in room. Front desk staff was helpful in resolving miscues in a timely and friendly manner.

Call me old fashion, but I expect more from the Hilton brand, or was I really staying at a Motel 6?

Room Tip: Check out your room carefully before unpacking.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
5 Thank Mark L
HWSPHILADELPHIA, General Manager at Hilton Philadelphia City Avenue, responded to this review, November 30, 2011
Thank you for sharing your feedback. I am very sorry that we were unable to provide the quality accommodations that Hilton is known for. I will be sending you a private message to further assist you. We hope to have the opportunity to serve you again soon.

Travelers are raving about these Philadelphia hotels

Seattle, Washington
Reviewed November 22, 2011

The room was OK but customer service was horrible. Catherine Stafford - front desk manager was extremely rude and unprofessional during our stay. We had a wedding set at the hotel and the bridal party along with family members, were staying at the hotel for two nights. The hotel was given a list of names along with room types that they did not adhere to - like assigning a King bedroom to a group of 4 individuals. When a change was requested during check-in, we were told, "we're all booked out tonight so you'll have to pay if you want another room". I ask for a manger and am told she won't be in until 9am so we were reasonable and said, ok, let's pay for a room tonight but can you move us for the second night into a double bedroom since they were available. They said yes, absolutely and then the next day, when we go to check out of the rooms and into 1 room with a double bed to accommodate 4, we again get the "We're all sold out, sorry, we cannot accommodate". I ask for a manager and am told she'll be back at noon. The wedding was to take place in the afternoon at around 3pm with a reception to follow so at around 2:30pm, I decided to speak with the manager again. At this time, she rudely tells me that it's not the hotel's problem that we don't have a double bed because they "don't book room types - just a room". When I mention that there were 4 in our party so a King bed doesn’t work and that we were promised the night before that we could be moved in the morning, she proceeds to say, "well, we have a double room right now due to early checkout so please move out of your current rooms and into the double one now". I tell her that with the wedding about to start shortly, I can't have everyone pack and move right now - that would be ridiculous to ask us to do now. "Sorry, we can't do anything else for you; you'll just have to pay for two rooms for both nights".

Their front desk staff really needs training in courtesy, respect and hospitality. Personally, I won't be visiting them ever again.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
5 Thank Merzin K
HWSPHILADELPHIA, General Manager at Hilton Philadelphia City Avenue, responded to this review, November 25, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. After reviewing the circumstances surrounding your experience, I was able to determine that the rooming list submitted to the hotel noted a King size bed for your accommodations. Upon check in, unfortunately we were sold out of rooms with 2 beds and were therefore unable to honor your room type change request. We did offer a rollaway bed, but I understand that did not suit your needs. Please know that we always do our very best to honor a change of room type, but unfortunately there are times when we are unable to do so due to a lack of room type availability. At 2pm the following day we had an unscheduled early departure allowing a room with 2 beds became to become available, and we offered this room to you in an attempt to satisfy your request. I apologize that you were unable to take advantage of this gesture due to time constraints. Our goal is to exceed our guests expectations, and we regret not being able to do so for you during your recent stay. Thank you again for your feedback. We sincerely hope to have the opportunity to serve you again soon.
Asheville, North Carolina
Reviewed November 15, 2011

I had a two-day business meeting across the street from this hotel, but was reluctant to stay because of some of the reviews on tripadvisor.com. Convenience helped overcome my reluctance, and now having stayed two nights at this hotel, I'm extremely surprised by the negative reviews. The front-desk staff could not have been friendlier, more helpful, or more efficient - both at check-in and throughout my stay. The same was true for the bell and housekeeping staff I encountered during my stay, and the staff members in the concierge lounge were also extremely friendly. Although the hotel is not new and my room was a bit dated, both the hotel and my room were clean and well maintained. The room was good-sized with a large, flat-screen TV. It was also extremely quiet - I heard no noise from the hallway or adjacent rooms. My only criticism is that the rooms do need more electric outlets. The buffet breakfast in the lounge was certainly okay and the evening selection of food, wine, etc. was excellent, as was the buffet breakfast in the hotel restaurant. As to the criticism that the hotel is not near the center of Philadelphia - this is true, but the website for the hotel also clearly notes that that the location is outside the center of the city and people who read the website should not be surprised. Overall, an excellent stay!

Room Tip: The executive-floor rooms on the 12th floor were extremely comfortable and on the large side of a st...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank SusaDogue
HWSPHILADELPHIA, General Manager at Hilton Philadelphia City Avenue, responded to this review, November 18, 2011
Thank you for the kind feedback. We sincerely appreciate your taking the time to post your review and we hope to welcome you back to the Hilton soon!