“Sweat the small stuff”

Hilton Philadelphia City Avenue
Ranked #48 of 88 Hotels in Philadelphia
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed November 28, 2011

Stayed for 2 nights over the Thanksgiving weekend. No end to little annoyances; no cot as promised for our 9 year old to sleep on - had to settle for blankets on the floor, foul smell in the room, broken light fixture over bathroom sink, no toilet paper or tissue in room. Front desk staff was helpful in resolving miscues in a timely and friendly manner.

Call me old fashion, but I expect more from the Hilton brand, or was I really staying at a Motel 6?

Room Tip: Check out your room carefully before unpacking.
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
5  Thank Mark L
HWSPHILADELPHIA, General Manager at Hilton Philadelphia City Avenue, responded to this reviewResponded November 30, 2011

Thank you for sharing your feedback. I am very sorry that we were unable to provide the quality accommodations that Hilton is known for. I will be sending you a private message to further assist you. We hope to have the opportunity to serve you again soon.

Reviewed November 22, 2011

The room was OK but customer service was horrible. Catherine Stafford - front desk manager was extremely rude and unprofessional during our stay. We had a wedding set at the hotel and the bridal party along with family members, were staying at the hotel for two nights. The hotel was given a list of names along with room types that they did not adhere to - like assigning a King bedroom to a group of 4 individuals. When a change was requested during check-in, we were told, "we're all booked out tonight so you'll have to pay if you want another room". I ask for a manger and am told she won't be in until 9am so we were reasonable and said, ok, let's pay for a room tonight but can you move us for the second night into a double bedroom since they were available. They said yes, absolutely and then the next day, when we go to check out of the rooms and into 1 room with a double bed to accommodate 4, we again get the "We're all sold out, sorry, we cannot accommodate". I ask for a manager and am told she'll be back at noon. The wedding was to take place in the afternoon at around 3pm with a reception to follow so at around 2:30pm, I decided to speak with the manager again. At this time, she rudely tells me that it's not the hotel's problem that we don't have a double bed because they "don't book room types - just a room". When I mention that there were 4 in our party so a King bed doesn’t work and that we were promised the night before that we could be moved in the morning, she proceeds to say, "well, we have a double room right now due to early checkout so please move out of your current rooms and into the double one now". I tell her that with the wedding about to start shortly, I can't have everyone pack and move right now - that would be ridiculous to ask us to do now. "Sorry, we can't do anything else for you; you'll just have to pay for two rooms for both nights".

Their front desk staff really needs training in courtesy, respect and hospitality. Personally, I won't be visiting them ever again.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
5  Thank Merzin K
HWSPHILADELPHIA, General Manager at Hilton Philadelphia City Avenue, responded to this reviewResponded November 25, 2011

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. After reviewing the circumstances surrounding your experience, I was able to determine that the rooming list submitted to the hotel noted a King size bed for your accommodations. Upon check in, unfortunately we were sold out of rooms with 2 beds and were therefore unable to honor your room type change request. We did offer a rollaway bed, but I understand that did not suit your needs. Please know that we always do our very best to honor a change of room type, but unfortunately there are times when we are unable to do so due to a lack of room type availability. At 2pm the following day we had an unscheduled early departure allowing a room with 2 beds became to become available, and we offered this room to you in an attempt to satisfy your request. I apologize that you were unable to take advantage of this gesture due to time constraints. Our goal is to exceed our guests expectations, and we regret not being able to do so for you during your recent stay. Thank you again for your feedback. We sincerely hope to have the opportunity to serve you again soon.

Reviewed November 15, 2011

I had a two-day business meeting across the street from this hotel, but was reluctant to stay because of some of the reviews on tripadvisor.com. Convenience helped overcome my reluctance, and now having stayed two nights at this hotel, I'm extremely surprised by the negative reviews. The front-desk staff could not have been friendlier, more helpful, or more efficient - both at check-in and throughout my stay. The same was true for the bell and housekeeping staff I encountered during my stay, and the staff members in the concierge lounge were also extremely friendly. Although the hotel is not new and my room was a bit dated, both the hotel and my room were clean and well maintained. The room was good-sized with a large, flat-screen TV. It was also extremely quiet - I heard no noise from the hallway or adjacent rooms. My only criticism is that the rooms do need more electric outlets. The buffet breakfast in the lounge was certainly okay and the evening selection of food, wine, etc. was excellent, as was the buffet breakfast in the hotel restaurant. As to the criticism that the hotel is not near the center of Philadelphia - this is true, but the website for the hotel also clearly notes that that the location is outside the center of the city and people who read the website should not be surprised. Overall, an excellent stay!

Room Tip: The executive-floor rooms on the 12th floor were extremely comfortable and on the large side of a st...
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank SusaDogue
HWSPHILADELPHIA, General Manager at Hilton Philadelphia City Avenue, responded to this reviewResponded November 18, 2011

Thank you for the kind feedback. We sincerely appreciate your taking the time to post your review and we hope to welcome you back to the Hilton soon!

Reviewed November 11, 2011

In town for a quick business trip. Room was clean and bed was very comfortable. Our room had a very nice view. Went to the Polo Lounge, service was good and the lounge was a great place to meet friends for drinks. Found it easier to use the valet service than try and find parking. Valet attendants were very friendly and efficient. The location was perfect, just a short ride to the major universities, downtown and on City Line.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank ILuv2Travel66

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We are glad that you enjoyed your accommodations, service and dining options here at the Hilton. We look forward to serving you again soon!

Reviewed November 7, 2011

Visited this hotel for one night during our campus tour of St. Joseph's University. This hotel is in a city area. Room was decent. Bathroom fine. Bedding and towels adequate. Check in was quick. We arrived at around 8:30 pm famished. We were exhausted and decided to eat at Delmonico's downstairs. Dinner was delicious. The dining room was very crowded but our food was brought out promptly. We had to rush out early to attend an orientation so I cannot comment on the other areas of the hotel. If you are looking to stay for one night while visiting St. Joe's this is a good choice.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank SueZCue
HWSPHILADELPHIA, General Manager at Hilton Philadelphia City Avenue, responded to this reviewResponded November 10, 2011

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback, I'm glad you enjoyed your experience. We are very proud of Delmonico's Steakhouse, and we are happy that you had the opportunity to experience it. We look forward to seeing you soon!

Reviewed October 31, 2011

Attended a family celebration downstairs & then stayed the night. Had two rooms @ $150 apiece on Saturday night (may have been group rate). Pluses: Clean rooms, excellent health center (three high-quality treadmills w/mini-TVs, two ellipticals, one bike), good breakfast w/omelettes & waffles cooked to order (don't know price; was treated), small pool, good shower, and good bathroom supplies. Forgot toothbrush & toothpaste; was immediately delivered to our room free. Minuses: Halls not as nice as rooms, room service trays left in hallway not cleared for extra special long time, wi-fi is extra charge, self-parking in open-air lot is down the street & costs $5 extra. Tiny driveway made for check-in and check-out traffic jams.

Room Tip: I bet you don't want to be on the third floor -- just above the ballrooms.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
4  Thank hushaphone

Thank you for sharing your feedback, I appreciate your kind words. We will work hard to address the challenges you encountered and we hope to welcome you back to the Hilton soon.

Reviewed September 27, 2011

the hotel is in city avenue, indicating that it is in the city centre. However, it is rather far from the centre. the hotel needs a general restauration as it looks like no real maintenance has been done in the recent years. The room carpets, the bed and equipment in the rooms look like being used already for years. In the bathroom the toilet was equipped like for handicapped people. this might be advantageous for this group of people, however it looked not overly nice for me. In sharp contrast was the status of the exercise room, which was suprisingly well equipped. One additional note is the nuisance that one has to pay for internet access in a hotel for business people, which nowadays seems not acceptable any more from my perspective

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
6  Thank Juretennis1

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. Our hotel is just under 5 miles from Center City Philadelphia, which is advertised on our website. I apologize if you felt mislead in any way. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Hilton soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Philadelphia
0 mi away
Philadelphia Marriott West
Philadelphia Marriott West
#1 of 1 in West Conshohocken
Four Points by Sheraton Philadelphia Northeast

Been to Hilton Philadelphia City Avenue? Share your experiences!