“Amidst IRENE tumult, great wedding & stay at Hilton City Ave”

Hilton Philadelphia City Avenue
Ranked #48 of 87 Hotels in Philadelphia
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed September 12, 2011

Our friends were married the last weekend of August (27th) at the Hilton City Ave hotel. Despite the torrential rains and winds of Irene, the wedding went off without a hitch thanks to the wonderful crew at the Hilton City Ave.
The wedding of over 200 in the end was only made up of about 100 of us and despite the weather conditions the ceremony, cocktail hour, reception and following breakfast were all wonderful.
Our room (5 of us) slept all of us on the deliciously comfy king queen beds. The bathroom was spacious and clean, though there weren't enough towels in the end, and the coffee machine was well stocked & used happily the next morning. The mini fridge was also useful and we packed our Irene-surviving alcohol and snacks inside without a problem.
Thankfully, there was no visible damage to the hotel that evening or the following day from the rains and all went well even driving home later the next day.
Although the hotel is no where near the city center, it was very nice and the staff was wonderful. if you're looking for a wedding venue, this could also be your spot!

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends
HWSPHILADELPHIA, General Manager at Hilton Philadelphia City Avenue, responded to this reviewResponded September 14, 2011

Thank you for your kind feedback. Irene was a challenge for our team, but as they say, the show must go on! I'm glad that you and your guests enjoyed our facilities and services, and we hope to welcome you back to the Hilton soon.

There are newer reviews for Hilton Philadelphia City Avenue

Reviewed September 5, 2011

The bathtub drain was clogged and I did not enjoy standing in ankle deep water while showering. The elevators were stuck and the front desk was slow to respond. The restaurant food was quite good. The hotel is clean. Other than the maintenance issues it was a pleasant stay.

• Stayed: September 2011
4  Thank Foodstudy
HWSPHILADELPHIA, General Manager at Hilton Philadelphia City Avenue, responded to this reviewResponded September 7, 2011

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback I apologize for the challenges you encountered while staying with us, and I am glad that your overall experience was a positive one. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton soon.

Reviewed August 22, 2011

This was out 4th stay in a year. The front desk staff was by far the friendliest yet. First impressions do matter. The valet parking was fine, wish we could have avoided the fee, but no street parking available this time. They gave us the room we asked for and it was clean with a great view. We had a refrigerator, which I used. As an Hilton Honors guest we were able to have breakfast in the executive lounge. One of the best I have been in, the young man in charge was friendly and helpful. The food was great, especially the coffee. Best stay yet, will return when in Phili.

• Stayed: August 2011

Thank you for your kind words. We sincerely appreciate your taking the time to share your experience here on Trip Advisor. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton soon.

Reviewed August 22, 2011

I travel for business all the time and I'm a Silver Hilton Honors member. I have been a member for years and have always chosen to stay at Hilton's over other chains. I am not a super particular person and this is the first review for anything (food, hotel, etc.) that I have ever written.

I highly recommend that you do NOT stay in this hotel. First, the customer service is some of the worst I have ever experienced. I checked into the hotel for business and two hours later had a family emergency and needed to leave town. I had entered the room and placed my suitcase on the floor and left the hotel to go grocery shopping. I literally had not touched a thing in the room. When I asked to check out, the reps at the front desk told me that I would be charged for the night. I asked to speak with the manager and he made no accommodations. While I am completely aware that they have the right to charge me, it has always been my experience with Hilton's to make accommodations for those who frequent their hotels (I stay in Hilton's about 3 times a month for work). To make matters worse, the manager was rude and belittling.

In addition, the pictures you see in the photos here are much nicer than what you will experience. The hotel was dirty and the rooms were just ok. The area felt unsafe and it was farther from downtown (about 20 minutes with traffic) than I had hoped.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled on business
4  Thank Lally426

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. I apologize for the challenges you encountered and I will be sending you a private message to further communicate.

Reviewed August 18, 2011

I was running from city to city and didn't have time to choose a hotel so I decided to go by the chain name. What a disaster !!! I just needed a good night of sleep and couldn't get it. The carpet was all wet, the air was a mix of humidity and cigar (which was supposed to be a non-smoking hotel). I couldn't barely sleep and kept on coughing for the whole night. Don't get impressed by the chain name. This Hilton doesn't match to the standard Hilton quality.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled on business
5  Thank WPHF
HWSPHILADELPHIA, General Manager at Hilton Philadelphia City Avenue, responded to this reviewResponded August 20, 2011

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. I am very sorry for the challenges you encountered while staying with us. I will be sending you a private message to make this right.

Reviewed August 15, 2011

Stayed in this hotel for 2 weeks on a business trip. Front counter receptionist very polite and helpful. Rooms were a great size (King room) and had all amenities that you would require for a stay as long as mine. Excellent gym and swimming pool facilities. Had breakfast there every morning and staff were very polite and professional, had a great selection for breakfast and food was lovely. Also had evening meals here on occasions including room service and again could find no faults. Overall a lovely relaxing hotel!

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled on business
HWSPHILADELPHIA, General Manager at Hilton Philadelphia City Avenue, responded to this reviewResponded August 16, 2011

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback, we look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton soon!

Reviewed August 5, 2011

Aside from the sub-par front desk service (did not enter my Hilton Honors number, did not give my AAA discount, did not inform me on parking options and then double charged me for parking, did not provide my Hilton Honors preferences or amenities) - which I believe was an anomaly due to a new, inexperienced employee - this is a very nice hotel. Great location just a few miles from the heart of Philadelphia. Clean, spacious rooms and a great breakfast. We often stay here when in Philadelphia and will continue to do so.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank Poonya
HWSPHILADELPHIA, General Manager at Hilton Philadelphia City Avenue, responded to this reviewResponded August 6, 2011

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. I apologize for the challenges you experienced regarding your Hilton HHONORS benefits. I am glad that your overall experience with the Hilton Philadelphia was a positive one, and we look forward to serving you again soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Philadelphia
Crowne Plaza Philadelphia West
University City
Homewood Suites University City
Homewood Suites University City
#28 of 87 in Philadelphia

Been to Hilton Philadelphia City Avenue? Share your experiences!