“Try the Rabbit, it is great!”
Review of Opa

Opa
Reserve with OpenTable
Opa is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #238 of 4,356 Restaurants in Philadelphia
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Greek
Good for: Romantic, Bar scene, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: 13th Street
Transit: Broad Street Line-Walnut Locust Station
Description: Opa is a new Modern Greek restaurant and bar located in Center City's Midtown Village neighborhood. The menu features a fresh take on traditional Greek flavors. Featured items from the mezedes (small plates) include herbed keftedes (meatballs) in a ouzo-tomato sauce, octopus and spinach croquettes served with a smokey feta dip. Large plates offer a variety of items such as striped bass and pastitsio. The signature cocktail list and Greek wine selection offer the perfect complement to your meal. Acclaimed designer, Jun Aizaki/Creme, created an alluring setting which includes a striking birch branch canopy. Walk-in seating is available at the 24 seat bar and offers the full menu.
Turlock, California
“Try the Rabbit, it is great!”
Reviewed February 5, 2013

We liked Opa. Good service, environment, and food. I would improve the speed. It took them more than 30 minutes to serve a table of 7 with the place less than half full. Anyway, the food was so good that I will be back.

• Visited February 2013

The Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia
“A Disappointment”
Reviewed January 30, 2013

We were in Philly for a visit and stayed at the Holiday Inn Express downtown. Opa was recommended to us, and it was right across the street, so we went there for dinner. I love rabbit: when my wife pointed out that they had it on the menu, I ordered it. The menu description had implied that it was served with pasta, but when it came it turned out to BE "rabbit pasta," according to our waiter.

Instead of pieces of rabbit, as one gets in any other restaurant that serves this dish, and which I was expecting, I received a mound of long, doughy pasta strands with what was alleged to be rabbit meat scattered here and there in it. This was drenched in a gooey sweet sauce that simply obliterated any other flavor. If there was as much as five ounces of meat in it I would be surprised. I'm willing to give them the benefit of doubt and admit that it was, in fact, rabbit; but since I couldn't taste anything except the sauce, it could have been chicken or cat, for all I could tell. I've eaten rabbit in restaurants on four continents and never have I seen anything like this dish. I always received what was recognizably pieces of rabbit, cut in the way a chicken would be. The waiter explained that a) it was "rabbit pasta," which isn't how the menu described it; and b) rabbits are "very small animals." Given that a domestic rabbit weighs as much as a frying chicken, this explanation for the paucity of what was supposed to be the main ingredient was suspect.

My wife had the lamb shank, which was a very generous portion, and well prepared but dry.

Service was very slow. We waited for 20 minutes before anyone took our order; and for 10 before we were served with water and the bottle of wine we'd ordered. There was no bread of any kind served at all. There were no side dishes with the meals. The price we paid, $139 including wine and tip, for two people, was outrageously high for what we got.

• Visited January 2013
Wendell, North Carolina
“Not pure Greek but very good”
Reviewed January 25, 2013 via mobile

I had tbe asparagus bisque and the mussels. Both were excellent and tasty dishes. Nothing truely Greek ontbe menu more of a Mediterranean fusion but worth checking out.

“Good Greek spot”
Reviewed December 9, 2012 via mobile

I always enjoy Greek food, and Opa has several of the classics that are prepared and served well, with some modern twists. It doesn't have the extensive selection that you find in Greek Town Chicago, but what they do have is enjoyable.

“A gem”
Reviewed November 30, 2012

A friend introduced me to this restaurant when we went out for a girls night several months ago. The food was excellent and the service was good. So one night I was in the city with my family, my husband and two children and our regular place had a 2.5 hour wait. We walked a few blocks and came across Opa and so we stopped in. We weren't disappointed. Food again was excellent and service the same!

• Visited November 2012