“Great beers, great service”
Review of Bierstube - CLOSED

Bierstube
Cuisines: Belgian, German, Gastropub
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Philadelphia's only authentic and fun German Bierstube and Restaurant !
Reviewed November 18, 2012

The place to go after dinner in the Old City. Excellent choice of beers -- especially Belgian and German. Friendly. Noisy. Open late. Try it!

Reviewed November 10, 2012

Many German cities have a section called “Altstadt”, or Old City. Old City Philadelphia has a bit in Germany in the Bierstube, or beer room at 206 Market St. They have a large selection of draft beers and an enormous list of bottle beers from around the globe. The food is mostly German, but they also have the usual burgers. The food is prepared German style. The sausages are grilled, not steamed as I’ve seen in some German restaurants. They don’t have typical German desserts, only brownies & apple cobblers, but they’re served warm and quite tasty.

My only complaint is I could smell cigarette smoke coming from the downstairs lounge. Smoking is prohibited in restaurants in PA. My advice is if you don't like tobacco smoke, request seats away from the lounge steps, or don’t go there when the lounge is open. And definitely complain to the management if you smell smoke.

Other than that, Bierstube is great German restaurant in Old City Philadelphia.

1  Thank KenGPhila
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Everything about this place is misleading. The name and marketing suggest it's a German restaurant but there are more non-German beers on draft than German. The food is meant to be German, they tell you it's "German Asian fusion" when you sit down, but all that means is they add Sriracha to ketchup that's offered as a condiment. Not a restaurant or gastropub by any stretch of the imagination. If you go, have a beer, leave and eat somewhere else in the neighborhood.

Reviewed October 30, 2012

We were a party of three just looking for a decent bite to eat on a Saturday night - we came to the right place.

I had the goulash which was pretty good - very similar in taste to the one I had at a Hungarian restaurant in Vienna this summer. I found the portion size a bit small and could've used a salad to go along with it. My friend ordered one as an appetizer and it was quite big so I would recommend sharing one with someone else.

The service was very friendly and helped us find our way through the menu including the incredible beer selection that's available.

If you've never had German food before, give this place a try. If you've had it before and like it, you won't be disappointed.

Reviewed October 3, 2012

Stopped in on a Saturday night. At first we were a little confused by the German-Asian menu, but after trying the Winzig Pretzels we were sold. These are soft bite size pretzels that come with 3 delicious dipping sauces. We also had the pulled pork sandwich which was excellent. The service was very good and the beer selection is excellent. I would definitely go back.