“Tasty food, great beer selection”
Review of Bierstube - CLOSED

Bierstube
Cuisines: Belgian, German, Gastropub
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Philadelphia's only authentic and fun German Bierstube and Restaurant !
Reviewed October 30, 2012

We were a party of three just looking for a decent bite to eat on a Saturday night - we came to the right place.

I had the goulash which was pretty good - very similar in taste to the one I had at a Hungarian restaurant in Vienna this summer. I found the portion size a bit small and could've used a salad to go along with it. My friend ordered one as an appetizer and it was quite big so I would recommend sharing one with someone else.

The service was very friendly and helped us find our way through the menu including the incredible beer selection that's available.

If you've never had German food before, give this place a try. If you've had it before and like it, you won't be disappointed.

There are newer reviews for Bierstube

Reviewed October 3, 2012

Stopped in on a Saturday night. At first we were a little confused by the German-Asian menu, but after trying the Winzig Pretzels we were sold. These are soft bite size pretzels that come with 3 delicious dipping sauces. We also had the pulled pork sandwich which was excellent. The service was very good and the beer selection is excellent. I would definitely go back.

Reviewed September 28, 2012 via mobile

Stopped for an afternoon break. The waitress was very helpful in choosing beers. We drank several different varieties. Ordered a knockwurst and fries. Hot, delicious and tasty. Was only $7 for both. Big enough to split between two. Would go again in a heartbeat

Reviewed August 20, 2012

Bierstube might just be our new haunt when visiting Philly. We stopped in for weekend lunch and were please with terrific schnitzels, knackwurst and perogies. The beer selection was fabulous and included some really terrific offerings. We look forward to our next visit.

Reviewed June 24, 2012

Bierstube, in Old City Philadelphia, excited me. I love German food, probably more than any other style of cuisine, and it is new to the area - and it had open reservations for a last minute, prime-time dinner hour on a Friday night.

I can understand why.

While the food was awesome, seriously awesome, the service was lacking. We waited quite a while before anyone even saw us at the hostess stand. It looked like the host was also acting as a server and bar-back because they were understaffed, leaving us standing at the entrance waiting to be seated.

Once we were seated, it took another long while for our waiter to get to our table. Again, it seemed to be an understaffing problem.

The one person on staff who was very helpful was the actual bar-back who brought our meals to the table. I ordered the sausage platter, and asked (after the fact) what kinds of sausages I'd be dining on that evening. He didn't know and rather than make something up, walked into the kitchen and asked. And returned promptly.

Service aside, the food was delicious. All of the sausages in the sausage platter were fantastic, as well as the sauce they were in and the spicy mustard. I also ordered pierogi which were delightful.

The weinerschnitzel was very different from traditional, but still delicious. They use what tastes like panko instead of traditional breadcrumbs for the crust, which gives it a crispier, lighter crust. The sauce on the schnitzel was also magnificent.

So, while I don't highly recommend the service, I do highly recommend the food here. Maybe eating at the bar is a better idea.