“So close to excellent”
Review of Aksum Cafe

Aksum Cafe
Reserve with OpenTable
Aksum Cafe is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #471 of 4,506 Restaurants in Philadelphia
Cuisines: Mediterranean
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: 47th
Transit: 34st SEPTA
Reviewed July 19, 2014

Comfortable and roomy outdoor seating. Very good food - generous without being overwhelming, priced just right, presented well, tasty (on the spicy side, be aware). Lots of veggies, along with meat and fowl and fish. Very good waitress. BYOB, ice bucket came without our asking, along with glasses for the beer and wine we’d brought. We’ll definitely go back.

Two things we’d change: don’t auction off our entrees (“Who has the fish?”) and they gotta clear our appetizer plates before they bring the entrees. Our entrees arrived to a table full of empty small plates and the server seemed utterly flummoxed.

Reviewed June 26, 2014

Aksum is an upscale restaurant in what you might call a fascinating area, so it stands out, but not in a bad way. It is very inviting and very comfortable; on the day I went there, the windows were open, and people walking by would see a friend inside and come in and talk. The tall and very striking waitress was a big contributor to this: friendly to everyone, obviously friends with some of the regulars, but very alert and efficient.

The only thing I didn't like all that much was the food. Maybe I just don't like Mediterranean/Middle Eastern sauces. Maybe I order the wrong thing (chicken breast and mashed potatoes). But it just didn't do much for me. It wasn't bad, and I got out for a very fair price. But it didn't make me long to go back then next time I'm in the area.

Reviewed June 8, 2014 via mobile

Personally, Ive never tried the drug, but I hear the 1st time your hooked.

Aksum is like that, its a food experience like no other. The food is presented beautifully, the flavors are spot on and its BYOB!
My friend and I ordered the humus, calamari, and the honey glazed salmon. Yummy! The salmon sat on a bed of spicy mashed potatoes with green beans. After one bite, we attacked it with gusto. Desert was Fig Creme Brulee. I hate fig newtons, but I loved this dish. I like figs, who knew? Maybe its the freshness of every ingredient? My friend hates tomatoes, but every piece of tomato on her plate disappeared. Usually when we go out we order soda, but we never got around to ordering that. The staff serves you water from a air-tight bottle. I dont know what they do to the water there, but we wound up drinking 2 bottles of it! Interesting...you cant even get me to drink water at home.
The staff was great and so were the prices. Like Arnold said, " I will be back!"

Reviewed May 28, 2014

This was our second visit to Aksum and I had to write about our great food. The restaurant was crowded on a Tuesday night. Started with wonderful hummus and grilled pita along with a spicy octopus salad. Entrees were succulent lamb shank and delicious grilled sea bass. I love the food and the fact that it is BYOB. Our only hitch was that they were understaffed and our dessert order kind of was forgotten. I am looking forward to our next visit!

Reviewed May 20, 2014

Aksum is a byob restaurant in west Phila. Five of us ate there, and the service and quality of food were superb. Hummus and grape leaves which are my test for good med food were excellent, and salmon dishes, and stews were also excellent. The salads were fresh and bountiful. Desserts were also very good...baklava and bread pudding w ice cream were served warm and tasty. We'll definitely go back.

1  Thank Amayesing