“Not quite athentic... but great Spanish food”
Review of Jamonera

Jamonera
Reserve with OpenTable
Jamonera is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #105 of 4,491 Restaurants in Philadelphia
Cuisines: Spanish, Wine Bar
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: 13th b/t Sansom and Chestnut
Transit: Broad Street Line - Walnut Locust Station
Reviewed May 6, 2013

Having been to Spain numerous times,I think that Jamonera has taken traditional
Spanish tapas and put their own spin on it to some extent.

Having said that, I think the results are excellent. I really enjoyed it when I ordered the tapa del dia and got a glass of vermouth covered with the traditional "tapa" holding the food on top!

It's a small place, not suited for a large group but perhaps 6 can be accommodated if you make arrangements in advance.

I loved the vegetable tapas plate and also enjoyed the boquerones very much. The jamón iberico was very enjoyable and served with the same sort of pretzel like nuggets my friends in Madrid served to me with Jamón. The Jamón was pricey... but it is a pricey item everywhere and they served it right!

A less expensive option was the Patatas Bravas, which were very good and come with their sherry based hot sauce. That hot sauce was fantastic. Starting off with the potatoes might be a good option as they are a less expensive dish and will fill you up before moving to the more expensive options on the menu.

I loved this restaurant. Will visit the next time I am in Philadelphia.

Reviewed May 2, 2013

Recently has lunch at this Tapas style place in Philadelphia City Center.Service was superb, attentive, food delivered hot from kitchen and water glasses kept full. Quality of food was excellent, with varied choices and adequate sizes for this type of food. Space was a bit tight, eatery is smallish with tables very close together.Would clearly return and try more things.

Reviewed April 24, 2013

Great food, very small place, glad we had reservations! If you want to have a quiet private conversation, this isn't the place. We were sandwiched between two tables and found ourselves struggling to hear each other. We ordered the octopus - it was amazing as was the salad with beets and fried goat cheese!

Reviewed April 12, 2013

This place is small, so make a reservation.
We took everyone's advice and ordered the pig egg, which might have been my favorite of that whole meal! That crispy pig belly was a knock out on the egg! Both the dates and crispy pig tails toast were great too, and fun. Next time we will pass on the meatballs as they were good, but just meatballs. The foie gras was nice, my husband had never tried it, so a nice dish to introduce it to him. To drink that night they had a special offering of ill bulli's beer with some almonds and cheese, you can imagine it was perfect.
I can't wait to come back!

Reviewed April 8, 2013

So the Phillies lost to that juggernaut Kansas City Royals team yesterday (Sunday), but we had a fantastic dinner at Jamonera post-game! Sunday night is the tapas tasting menu evening and we gorged ourselves on some fantastic tasty treats and a terrific bottle of albarino. Jamonera is a small restaurant with a nice bar and outdoor seating. The range of food options is very diverse from top to bottom and the flavors are robust and very unique. The chef keeps the ingredients very simple yet gets very sophisticated flavors from each dish. My favorites were the pumpkin seed croquetas, papa fritas, jamon iberico, berenjenas (eggplant fries), and the grilled flank steak. The owners of this restaurant also own Barbuzzo and Lolita across the street and have revitalized that portion of Center City. Well worth the visit!