“Landmark, historical property in best location”

and 1 more site!
The Inn At The Union League
Ranked #49 of 89 Hotels in Philadelphia
Reviewed October 6, 2010

Whenever my husband and I stay in downtown Philadelphia, the Inn at the Union League is 'our place.' We were married a few years ago at the Union League so, yes, we are bias but the architecture and design of this historical landmark make the Inn a sophisticated retreat from the hustle and bustle of Broad Street. The rooms are luxurious and spatially comfortable and the food at the Club is old-school (think Snapper soup) and fantastic. The former Executive Chef of the Fountain Room (#1 restaurant in Philadelphia, within the Four Seasons hotel) has recently moved over and is now manning the kitchen at the Union League Club. Only Club members or Inn guests are permitted to dine. Is the Inn a little exclusive? Perhaps, but I don’t really see anything wrong with that. I like staying in a property where all of the guests are respectful and well dressed.

The Inn is ideally situated in the heart of Philadelphia – down the street from City Hall and a few blocks to Rittenhouse Square. It’s conveniently located to most restaurants and bars you would otherwise be visiting when in Philly. The ‘best’ part about the Inn, however, is the price. Our nightly rate, whenever we have booked, has been well below $200; a steal compared to nearby Ritz Carlton and the Bellevue hotels. I’ve stayed at both other properties as well and, for the price; the Inn at the Union League is hands-down the winner.

The one hiccup, as much as it pains me to admit it, is probably the service. Staff just does not seem up to par with the luxury that the Inn otherwise exudes. They are a little rough around the edges, aren’t very smart or ‘with it’ and aren’t entirely friendly at check-in. Hence, the 4-star review and not the 5-star review, which I wish I could give because I otherwise love it there.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank jezzie78

Reviewed August 7, 2010

the facility is a sight in itself, especially the halls and reception rooms. our room was excellent except the vented bathroom door allowed for too much sound transmission. the breakfasts were excellent and included. we were out to see Philly after a 35 year-plus absence and this site is right in the middle of everything. visit Pumpkin while you are there. if you like quiet and clubby, and i do, this is probably your place. we did visit the new Le Meridianand thought it also looked very nice.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 24, 2010

I just spent 2 nights at this historic facility. I stayed in one of the suites on corner of the 4th floor (414) which is significantly larger than the regular rooms in the hotel. However, I saw a standard room and it was comparable in size to most hotel rooms. The room was clean and very traditional. Only reason I gave the room category 4 stars is the carpets were a little aged. Now to the wonderful part..the club facilities. This is a very historic and beautiful building with wonderful dining and banquet facilities. I felt like I stepped into a part of history and tradition which is rarely found in current times. Plus, the service was always outstanding from the front desk to the waiter service! Thank you!

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed March 22, 2010

My husband and I recently stayed here for a wedding, and my personal opinion is that the Inn is highly overrated. While the location is fantastic, the building is architecturally beautiful, and the rate was reasonable, it has a very pretentious and snooty atmosphere. The staff could not have been less helpful or less friendly if they tried, and in general seemed very put-out if you asked them for assistance, directions, etc. While some previous reviewers alluded to "recently renovated rooms" we clearly did not get one of these rooms, as ours had old and battered furniture (it looked like it could have been purchased at a thrift store or garage sale) and a TV that must have been 10 years old. The bathroom was very spacious (as was the closet), but the housekeeping staff had done a sub-par job of cleaning the bathroom after the last guest, leaving a pile of hair and dust in the corner.

On the bright side, the buffet breakfast was delicious (although again, the waitstaff seemed utterly incompetent at handling a weekend crowd).

A little clarity on the dress code (which we thought was poorly explained on the website) -- if you enter and exit the hotel through the side door on Sansom Street, which leads you directly to the Registration Desk, you can wear jeans and casual shoes (which is great if you want to spend the day sightseeing and walking around the city). You can also wear jeans on the "sleeping floors" of the hotel. But if at any point you want to stroll around the main level, enter/exit through the beautiful main entrance, or use any of the dining facilities, you need to be more formally dressed. My husband and I made the 3 hour drive to the Union League in our formal dress, because we didn't realize there was a side door where we could enter dressed more casually.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank ChrisJ0113
Reviewed January 7, 2010

Other reviews have given mixed comments about the formal nature of this hotel, but the reality is it's an old men's club that is trying to hold on to its traditions. You expect to see DicK Chaney around every corner, and during my visit there were many formal events going on for the holidays. I thought it was fun to watch, but it's not for everyone. The rooms are (of course) old and not fancy but have all of the expected features. Threre can be noise due to a jazz club across Sansom Street. Ask for a different side of the hotel if that's a concern.

I didn't eat in the hotel for dinner, but there is a very nice breakfast buffet that is included in the price of the room. One caution, it doesn't open until 8:00 on Saturday, which was a problem for me. (I guess no one in such traditional places does business on Saturday mornings.)

The location in downtown Philadelphia could not be better, so if you are staying downtown, and you don't mind dressing rather properly on the main floors of the hotel, you may consider this an enjoyable trip into the past.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed November 15, 2009

I was intrigued by the Inn and was so excited about having the opportunity to visit. When I first arrived in my room I wondered why there were ear plugs in the bath room. I realized when I went to bed why they were there. There was a club of some sort blasting music that was easily heard in my room. Luckily once I go to sleep I can sleep through anything so the music was too much of an issue and I got a great night's sleep but the room is not the reason to boast. Please note that other rooms in the inn might not have this issue to deal with but I have to rate fairly because of the noise during my experience. Though my room rate was so affordable, I feel guilty mentioning the noise.

Guests at the Inn can use the library and what a library. My estimation is that it is the library has 25,000 or so books in its holdings. I enjoyed reading and read in the library for about 3 hours in the afternoon/ I was then able to take books back to my room!!! Conveniently there is a book return at the main desk where you can drop off books at check out.

The hotel is convenient to businesses and tourist destinations. While checking in, I heard guests trying to extend stays but apparently the hotel stays booked (and I am not surprised). Another fantastic benefit to staying in this hotel is the wonderful breakfast that is included in the cost of a room. Unbelievable!!!

As a guest of the inn I was made to feel very much a part of club membership and I will treasure the memory of the hotel with a library! So glad to have had the experience!

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed November 22, 2008

We are members of a recipocal club in London and had a great stay. Its tough to book a night apparently its become quite popolular as "in" place to stay. Tremendous room, incredible gym location. Your British cousins

Stayed: November 2008