The Inn At The Union League
    • Breakfast included
    • Room Service
    Great 4.5/5
    • Breakfast included
    All reviewsprivate clubcity clubdining facilitiesabraham lincolncoat and tiebusiness centersincluded in the room rategreat restaurants and barsamerican historyrooms are comfortablebreakfast buffetfitness centerbroad streetacross the streetthe ritzroom keycenter city
    FilterAll languages
    Reviewed January 7, 2010

Other reviews have given mixed comments about the formal nature of this hotel, but the reality is it's an old men's club that is trying to hold on to its traditions. You expect to see DicK Chaney around every corner, and during my visit there were many formal events going on for the holidays. I thought it was fun to watch, but it's not for everyone. The rooms are (of course) old and not fancy but have all of the expected features. Threre can be noise due to a jazz club across Sansom Street. Ask for a different side of the hotel if that's a concern.

I didn't eat in the hotel for dinner, but there is a very nice breakfast buffet that is included in the price of the room. One caution, it doesn't open until 8:00 on Saturday, which was a problem for me. (I guess no one in such traditional places does business on Saturday mornings.)

The location in downtown Philadelphia could not be better, so if you are staying downtown, and you don't mind dressing rather properly on the main floors of the hotel, you may consider this an enjoyable trip into the past.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled on business
    Reviewed November 15, 2009

I was intrigued by the Inn and was so excited about having the opportunity to visit. When I first arrived in my room I wondered why there were ear plugs in the bath room. I realized when I went to bed why they were there. There was a club of some sort blasting music that was easily heard in my room. Luckily once I go to sleep I can sleep through anything so the music was too much of an issue and I got a great night's sleep but the room is not the reason to boast. Please note that other rooms in the inn might not have this issue to deal with but I have to rate fairly because of the noise during my experience. Though my room rate was so affordable, I feel guilty mentioning the noise.

Guests at the Inn can use the library and what a library. My estimation is that it is the library has 25,000 or so books in its holdings. I enjoyed reading and read in the library for about 3 hours in the afternoon/ I was then able to take books back to my room!!! Conveniently there is a book return at the main desk where you can drop off books at check out.

The hotel is convenient to businesses and tourist destinations. While checking in, I heard guests trying to extend stays but apparently the hotel stays booked (and I am not surprised). Another fantastic benefit to staying in this hotel is the wonderful breakfast that is included in the cost of a room. Unbelievable!!!

As a guest of the inn I was made to feel very much a part of club membership and I will treasure the memory of the hotel with a library! So glad to have had the experience!

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled on business
    Reviewed November 22, 2008

We are members of a recipocal club in London and had a great stay. Its tough to book a night apparently its become quite popolular as "in" place to stay. Tremendous room, incredible gym location. Your British cousins

Stayed: November 2008
    Reviewed April 16, 2008

My wife and I had a great experience at the Union League. We were delightfully surprised to find that it was just renovated, though there was a smell of "new carpets" in our room. We had stayed there about 10 years ago and it was not in good shape. The new rooms have large flat screen TV's, a large work surface type desk and very comfortable beds. The rooms are still on the small size but the location can not be beat. The Union League is right in the middle of Philadelphia, about half way from everything, it is within easy walking distance of all the attractions. The staff was pleasant and accommodating. The only draw back was that we had to go back upstairs to change out of our jeans. The Club has a business casual dress code in the dining room for breakfast (which is included in the price of the room and is very good), however you can not be in jeans or sneakers. This is a bit of a pain, especially if you want to go touring and have to go back upstairs and change. Though all in all, it was a excellent experience.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled on business
      • Check in / front desk
      • Business service (e.g., internet access)
    Reviewed July 23, 2007

Since the Leauge is centered in a great location for dining and museums, we chose this place without knowing the exact location or reading reviews. Which was our fault. You should basically go into the kitchen yourself and tell the chef what you wanted because the waiters and servers weren't friendly, and they stood around talking to eachother. The food was excellent but again the service was terrible. The staff would expect to be tipped after every move that they made. They were just awful. I'd like to think of myself as a man of principle, and I didn't tip out of sheer principle. Coming into the Inn late one night after a 5 night stay, they escorted me to my room to make sure that I was a guest because I had forgotten my i.d. and expected me to tip them. This place is a joke.

Stayed: March 2007