“Great Experience”

Ranked #55 of 85 Hotels in Philadelphia
Baltimore, Maryland
“Great Experience”
Reviewed November 5, 2011

We had three parties of two staying here for a wedding taking place a block away at the Hyatt. Great location (especially close to the wedding we were attending) and all the staff we encountered were friendly and helpful. The hotel and the club is gorgeous. Each of our three rooms was different, which is part of what I like about staying in older properties. Though the building is older, the rooms had all the amenities you expect in a hotel room today. The rooms aren't huge, but there is plenty of closet space, enough room to move around with a King-size bed and a desk, and the bathrooms were roomy. Loved the complimentary robes and the complimentary breakfast was great! There was also a small lounge on our floor that had complimentary coffee, hot chocolate, tea, juice and snacks. As for the dress code, we were aware of it before arriving so it didn't take us by surprise. I thought it was nice to stay somewhere where people are dressed nicely. It didn't bother me at all to not wear jeans and tennis shoes while we were there. In fact, I found it added to the charm. Will be staying here again when we visit Philly for fun.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Texas City, Texas
Reviewed September 21, 2011

It had this antique look. We were really into it. Beautiful location. The staff was very friendly. I would definitely recommend this place. It was a quite experience.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Basingstoke, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 12, 2011

Stayed a number of times on business.

What a place the Union League is, but unfortunately I don't mean that in a good way.

I stayed at the Union League on more than one occasion for a week at a time, whilst on business in Philly(my company booked us in there, I didn't have a choice). Quite simply - I've never stayed anywhere so pretentious in all my life.

Now, if the facilities had been exceptionally good, I may have been able to let it go, but they're just not. The rooms are small with poor air circulation and the ridiculous rules about men needing to wear jackets etc just give the place a 'wannabe old boys club' type of atmosphere.

It appears as though they are trying to cling onto some pompous traditions in a vain effort to appear more distinguished than the rest of the city, perhaps because of their 'istory'? However, as my local village pub in the UK is 500+ years old and I don't have to wear a jacket there, I'm not altogether sure why I have to at the Union League.

As you can probably tell, totally underwhelmed by the whole place. Struck me as phoney and stuck-up. I've stayed in Philly for 3 weeks since my last stay at UL and I can confirm there are MUCH better places than the Union League.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
3 Thank Justin H
Westbury, New York
Reviewed August 11, 2011

I often stay at the Inn at the Union league as a reciprocal club member. Location, Location, Location in Center City Philadelphia is perfect. The club is easy to find at Broad and Sansom Streets and I found the Staff welcoming yet reserved and the rooms are whisper quiet. Complimentary ear plugs are supplied to each guest, yet I found no need. Once I checked in I was greeted by name by many of the staff members. The complimentary breakfast is robust and the Dinning and Lounge staff are accommodating. Yes, another pleasant stay at the Union League.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank lionheart65
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed June 19, 2011

When I walked into the Inn at the Union League, I thought there had to be some mistake. How the heck did I end up HERE? The men were all in jackets and the women were classily dressed. I strolled in wearing my grubby traveling clothes and felt extremely out of place. In fact, there are certain floors that jeans aren't even allowed. My colleague and I even joked how we thought we were going to get kicked out at any moment!

However, this was one of the most memorable, pleasant hotel stays I have ever had. There is something to be said for all the men wearing jackets and letting me get on/off the elevator first. Chivalry isn't dead, and it exists at the Union League!

At this place you must wear dress pants and a collared shirt to the complimentary breakfast. The breakfast wasn't any more impressive than what you get at the local Embassy Suites, but the experience made it worth it. I never heard one peep in the hallways, or during the night. At the Union, the guests are quiet, respectful, and made me wish all fellow travellers would have the same respect in other hotels!

The rooms were big with a walk-in closet, and a huge bathroom. There was even complimentary earplugs -which were definately not needed in this place! I kept them (and needed them for a subsequent stay at the Hampton Inn!). The only downside to this place is that I expected the housekeeping to be of higher caliber than what I saw. In the bathroom there were hairs on the floor which is not acceptable in a place like this. When my bed was made, there was a huge lump in it where the sheet and blanket weren't even smoothed out underneath the comforter.

Overall, this was a classy place that I would definately recommend to other travelers only if you love quiet and comfort. It is in a fabulous location with quiet and respectful guests. Just make sure to bring your business clothes as jeans and t-shirts are out of place here!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
Hoboken, New Jersey
Reviewed October 6, 2010

Whenever my husband and I stay in downtown Philadelphia, the Inn at the Union League is 'our place.' We were married a few years ago at the Union League so, yes, we are bias but the architecture and design of this historical landmark make the Inn a sophisticated retreat from the hustle and bustle of Broad Street. The rooms are luxurious and spatially comfortable and the food at the Club is old-school (think Snapper soup) and fantastic. The former Executive Chef of the Fountain Room (#1 restaurant in Philadelphia, within the Four Seasons hotel) has recently moved over and is now manning the kitchen at the Union League Club. Only Club members or Inn guests are permitted to dine. Is the Inn a little exclusive? Perhaps, but I don’t really see anything wrong with that. I like staying in a property where all of the guests are respectful and well dressed.

The Inn is ideally situated in the heart of Philadelphia – down the street from City Hall and a few blocks to Rittenhouse Square. It’s conveniently located to most restaurants and bars you would otherwise be visiting when in Philly. The ‘best’ part about the Inn, however, is the price. Our nightly rate, whenever we have booked, has been well below $200; a steal compared to nearby Ritz Carlton and the Bellevue hotels. I’ve stayed at both other properties as well and, for the price; the Inn at the Union League is hands-down the winner.

The one hiccup, as much as it pains me to admit it, is probably the service. Staff just does not seem up to par with the luxury that the Inn otherwise exudes. They are a little rough around the edges, aren’t very smart or ‘with it’ and aren’t entirely friendly at check-in. Hence, the 4-star review and not the 5-star review, which I wish I could give because I otherwise love it there.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank jezzie78
washington state
Reviewed August 7, 2010

the facility is a sight in itself, especially the halls and reception rooms. our room was excellent except the vented bathroom door allowed for too much sound transmission. the breakfasts were excellent and included. we were out to see Philly after a 35 year-plus absence and this site is right in the middle of everything. visit Pumpkin while you are there. if you like quiet and clubby, and i do, this is probably your place. we did visit the new Le Meridianand thought it also looked very nice.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple