“What a disappointment!!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Stateside

Stateside
Reserve with OpenTable
Stateside is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #743 of 4,339 Restaurants in Philadelphia
Cuisines: American
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“What a disappointment!!!”
Reviewed March 18, 2013

Stateside recently was awarded the number one spot in Philadelphia Magazine's Top 50 Restaurants ranking, and we made reservations over a month in advance to see what the buzz was about. All I can tell you is what a complete and total disappointment. Out of curiosity, I had gone on their website the day of our reservation which was 3/16/13, to look over the menu. It looked promising. They made themselves out to be a whisky bar with an impressive selection of bourbon and rye, which they have. The first disappointment came when I asked the bartender for a recommendation, and he told me he had only had first hand knowledge of a few of what they carried. He did make a recommendation, and it was good, but one would expect a little more expertise in the area they are touting. When the rest of our party showed up, we sat down, and were given a 4" x 10" single sheet of paper with a total of maybe 8 items on it. We asked where was the menu we saw online, and were told that the chef had left, and they had a new chef, and this was his menu. We were also told that they were tapas sized to be shared. We placed a drink order, and since had a party of 5 we ordered everything on the menu except for the soup. We even doubled up on the duck, and oysters. What was sent out was the most ludicrously tiny portions I had ever seen. The aforementioned duck ($15.00) was approximately one quarter of one half of a duck breast, for a total of three minuscule slices. The beet dish was even more laughable at $9.00. It was literally one half of a radish sized beet in an oversized bowl. After 20 minuets and no drinks, I looked over and saw that the bar had exactly 3 people sitting there and two bartenders. We grabbed our waitress, and asked about our drinks, and her reply was that it was up to the bartenders. No apology, no "let me check on that" just some smug comment that set me on edge. The food, what little of it there was, was good, but what a complete and total rip off. Between our bar tab and food we were over $320.00 into this meal and all felt robbed. When asked, some of our table neighbors shared the same opinion. One even said this place sucks. I walked over to our waitress and asked if an owner or manager was in. She said no owner, but the manager was there. I asked to speak with him, and she just stared at me with a deer in the headlights look, and then stated, without even checking, that he was busy. I asked "too busy to speak with a customer" and was told yes. I walked back to my table really pissed off, when all of the sudden one of the bartenders appears and claims to be the manager. When we told him about our experience, he said there was nothing he could do since we had already paid. He just threw his business card on the table and said to call him next time we come in. What a fool. Did he really think there would ever be a next time?
We were all still so hungry that we walked down the street to Birra, and had an order of mussels, and two pizzas. Our bill there was $50.00 with drinks. The owner sat and talked with us, and what a difference. He was a guy that cared about his customers, and what they thought!
I am not one to complain, but I feel it is my responsibility to let others know what is going on at Stateside. Avoid it!!!

• Visited March 2013
2 Thank Neil B

Doylestown, Pennsylvania
“Ok food with poor service”
Reviewed March 14, 2013

How did the make the best of philly list. Is the owner friends with someone at the magazine or is the magazine no longer considering the quality of food but only the charm of being a neighborhood place. I'm still baffled that it not only made the lists but more importantly landed itself in the number 1 spot. The food was good but would I drive an hour o have it again....NO! Worst of all...the service is terrible. No explanation of the food or specials. They where out of the first few....that's right I said few.. Of the whiskeys ordered. They were also out of the first bottle of wine we ordered. It took over 20 minutes for us to finally get whiskey and wine with all of the back and forth. It's one thing if you happen to be in the neighborhood but don't make a special trip in for this place. Go to a place like Zahav instead.

• Visited January 2013
Raleigh, North Carolina
“Perfect place to get a small plate and a good cocktail”
Reviewed March 5, 2013

My husband and I were visiting friends in Philadelphia and wanted to travel to Passyunk Avenue to see how the area has changed. We were very pleased with all of the activity, shops, restaurants, etc. We stopped into Stateside to get a cocktail and a little bite to eat. Small place, we sat at the bar which we like and we ordered the andouille sausage with beans and the brussel spouts. Both dishes were perfectly seasoned and exactly what we wanted to eat. We will go back to Stateside during our next trip to Philly.

• Visited March 2013
Philadelphia
“Special place for cocktails in Easy Passyunk”
Reviewed January 16, 2013

East Passyunk is a great part of Philly (in the heart of South Philly) and Stateside has helped it evolve up a notch to a go to place for great eating and drinking discoveries.
Stateside is
1) A top notch bar if you are into high end throwback mixology. Best selection of bourbon, rye and gin I've ever seen and a great selection of early century cocktails made from them - and made with care and skill by the bartenders. Compared to other high end bars, the prices are reasonable $8-10.
2) Great tapas type eatery with creative well-crafted dishes.

The only negative is that it is a small space and can feel crammed and noisy. We greatly prefer the bar as it has more breathing room.

• Visited January 2013
Philadelphia, PA
“Three strikes and you're out!”
Reviewed January 13, 2013

Stateside is in our hood, so we have desperately tried to like it. Unfortunately, three strikes and you're out.

First of all, anyone who lives in, near, works around, or has been to South Philly knows that it is a true neighborhood. Especially the Passyunk Square area. This is not center city with parking garages full of NJ license plate vehicles looking for "trendy/clublike/hip/flashy" restaurants. It is a community--when you live in the area you can't walk out your front door without seeing someone you recognize. With that said, Stateside--the owners, servers, BARTENDERS, etc.--need to take a lesson in how to treat their customers, aka their neighbors.

The first time I went here was for happy hour with two girlfriends. The restaurant had just opened and we wanted to give it a try. The three of us arrived at separate times and each met up with the other at the bar. The restaurant itself was empty (tables) but the bar was filling up. In total I would say there were 20 people in the bar. It's a small area so it felt "full".
The big deal was trying to get the attention of the "MIXOLOGIST" in order to get a glass of wine. At most any bar I have been to in my life, the bartender is able to multitask, i.e. mix one drink and at least looks up at/acknowledge other patrons. The bartender was standing in front of us, shaking the drink of the person next to us. I asked if I might have a glass of the house white when they got a chance. The response was a dirty look and "I'm in the middle of something". Very strange behavior if you ask me. The girl never returned to take my order. I then went to the other side of the bar where a man was working. I asked if we could get some drinks. He said in a moment. I went back to my seat. We sat AT the bar for over 15 minutes and counting before we could get served. I asked the hostess if we could sit at a table to get a server to wait on us and she said only if we ordered food and that they could not honor the happy hour specials. Oy.
My other girlfriend was successful in getting the girls' attention and this time ordered 2 glasses of wine and a beer. They moved at a snails pace and there was not a smile, a "thank you", or any feeling of comfort or welcome to be found. We paid for those drinks and then left.

The second time we were there was for drinks with friends yet again. They were already there or I might have warned otherwise. We decided we wanted specialty cocktails. We asked if we could see the menu and if they had any suggestions. He said "they're all good". Great salesman! Anyway, we ordered our drinks which were weak, small portioned, and certainly not worth $10+. We left still unimpressed.

This last time however I said let's try the food and go on a true "date" here. We went on a Wednesday night just the two of us. They sat us in a table in the middle next to a slightly older couple who were against the wall. I felt bad for them instantly because it was obvious it was way too dark in there for them to read the menu and the printing was very small. We offered the flashlight on our phone and they were appreciative.
When our server came to the table we each began to order a specialty cocktail. When he ordered his she told us they couldn't make that. He picked an alternative and she said they couldn't make that either. He settled on something else quickly and regretted it the minute it showed up with an egg on top--he must have missed that in the pressure to reselect. I suppose it would have been nice to have been offered a suggested alternative. A total waste of $10+. When we told her we didn't realize it had an egg on it she said "it says it in the menu". I made the mistake of asking about one of the drinks ingredients: Rhuby. She said "it's the liquor..you know from Art in the Age". Unfortunately, typing this response does not dictate the tone she said this in, which was one that insinuated I was offending her by asking this. Regardless of the fact that I am familiar with the shop in old city "Art in the Age" which sells specialty liquors such as "Root" (root beer) and "Snap" (ginger snap), I was NOT AWARE that there was a "Rhuby" (rhubarb) one. Thanks for making me feel stupid and for not offering up any further explanation whatsoever.

For food, we ordered the cucumber pickles, pan seared brussel sprouts, duck and roasted garlic sausage, and the chicken breast. The cucumbers were our least favorite dish...too much of this and not enough of that. They just weren't good. The brussel sprouts were almost inedible because they were swimming in a pool of butter. The sausage was good, but it needed more seasoning. The chicken was the best part of the meal but it was a small portion which left a lot to be desired for $21. All in all this is a shame. The staff could make you feel like you want to come back but instead they make you feel like you can't wait to leave. Sorry, Stateside, but your neighbors are not impressed.

Visited December 2012