“Special place for cocktails in Easy Passyunk”
Review of Stateside

Stateside
Reserve with OpenTable
Stateside is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #724 of 4,629 Restaurants in Philadelphia
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed January 16, 2013

East Passyunk is a great part of Philly (in the heart of South Philly) and Stateside has helped it evolve up a notch to a go to place for great eating and drinking discoveries.
Stateside is
1) A top notch bar if you are into high end throwback mixology. Best selection of bourbon, rye and gin I've ever seen and a great selection of early century cocktails made from them - and made with care and skill by the bartenders. Compared to other high end bars, the prices are reasonable $8-10.
2) Great tapas type eatery with creative well-crafted dishes.

The only negative is that it is a small space and can feel crammed and noisy. We greatly prefer the bar as it has more breathing room.

Reviewed January 13, 2013

Stateside is in our hood, so we have desperately tried to like it. Unfortunately, three strikes and you're out.

First of all, anyone who lives in, near, works around, or has been to South Philly knows that it is a true neighborhood. Especially the Passyunk Square area. This is not center city with parking garages full of NJ license plate vehicles looking for "trendy/clublike/hip/flashy" restaurants. It is a community--when you live in the area you can't walk out your front door without seeing someone you recognize. With that said, Stateside--the owners, servers, BARTENDERS, etc.--need to take a lesson in how to treat their customers, aka their neighbors.

The first time I went here was for happy hour with two girlfriends. The restaurant had just opened and we wanted to give it a try. The three of us arrived at separate times and each met up with the other at the bar. The restaurant itself was empty (tables) but the bar was filling up. In total I would say there were 20 people in the bar. It's a small area so it felt "full".
The big deal was trying to get the attention of the "MIXOLOGIST" in order to get a glass of wine. At most any bar I have been to in my life, the bartender is able to multitask, i.e. mix one drink and at least looks up at/acknowledge other patrons. The bartender was standing in front of us, shaking the drink of the person next to us. I asked if I might have a glass of the house white when they got a chance. The response was a dirty look and "I'm in the middle of something". Very strange behavior if you ask me. The girl never returned to take my order. I then went to the other side of the bar where a man was working. I asked if we could get some drinks. He said in a moment. I went back to my seat. We sat AT the bar for over 15 minutes and counting before we could get served. I asked the hostess if we could sit at a table to get a server to wait on us and she said only if we ordered food and that they could not honor the happy hour specials. Oy.
My other girlfriend was successful in getting the girls' attention and this time ordered 2 glasses of wine and a beer. They moved at a snails pace and there was not a smile, a "thank you", or any feeling of comfort or welcome to be found. We paid for those drinks and then left.

The second time we were there was for drinks with friends yet again. They were already there or I might have warned otherwise. We decided we wanted specialty cocktails. We asked if we could see the menu and if they had any suggestions. He said "they're all good". Great salesman! Anyway, we ordered our drinks which were weak, small portioned, and certainly not worth $10+. We left still unimpressed.

This last time however I said let's try the food and go on a true "date" here. We went on a Wednesday night just the two of us. They sat us in a table in the middle next to a slightly older couple who were against the wall. I felt bad for them instantly because it was obvious it was way too dark in there for them to read the menu and the printing was very small. We offered the flashlight on our phone and they were appreciative.
When our server came to the table we each began to order a specialty cocktail. When he ordered his she told us they couldn't make that. He picked an alternative and she said they couldn't make that either. He settled on something else quickly and regretted it the minute it showed up with an egg on top--he must have missed that in the pressure to reselect. I suppose it would have been nice to have been offered a suggested alternative. A total waste of $10+. When we told her we didn't realize it had an egg on it she said "it says it in the menu". I made the mistake of asking about one of the drinks ingredients: Rhuby. She said "it's the liquor..you know from Art in the Age". Unfortunately, typing this response does not dictate the tone she said this in, which was one that insinuated I was offending her by asking this. Regardless of the fact that I am familiar with the shop in old city "Art in the Age" which sells specialty liquors such as "Root" (root beer) and "Snap" (ginger snap), I was NOT AWARE that there was a "Rhuby" (rhubarb) one. Thanks for making me feel stupid and for not offering up any further explanation whatsoever.

For food, we ordered the cucumber pickles, pan seared brussel sprouts, duck and roasted garlic sausage, and the chicken breast. The cucumbers were our least favorite dish...too much of this and not enough of that. They just weren't good. The brussel sprouts were almost inedible because they were swimming in a pool of butter. The sausage was good, but it needed more seasoning. The chicken was the best part of the meal but it was a small portion which left a lot to be desired for $21. All in all this is a shame. The staff could make you feel like you want to come back but instead they make you feel like you can't wait to leave. Sorry, Stateside, but your neighbors are not impressed.

3  Thank Theresa P
Reviewed November 7, 2012

My son and I stopped at Stateside on Election night and had one of the best meals I've ever enjoyed. We started with fresh Virginia oysters, perfectly chilled and served with a great mignonette - a hint of the great vinegars to come. We then had the chef's board, which had something with duck, a chicken liver mousse, pickled cauliflower and a wonderful soft cheese, all served with grilled bread. We also had the pamesan croquette, broccolini with trout, seared brussels sprouts, grilled scallops and andouille sausage. Each dish was more amazing than the last - truly a joy. For dessert we had a smoked chocoate ganache (sprinkled with sea salt) and a carmelized apple and pear tart. The fruit was presented in tiny spheres (I think scooped out with a miniature melon ball tool) and just as beautiful to look at as it was to eat! The bar is equally good - the cocktail menu is superb. We had whisky sours from the "classics" menu - really, really good with frothy egg white on top. I can't wait to go back.

Reviewed July 5, 2012

Friends and family gathered around a table for six and allowed the kitchen to decide what we'd have for dinner and boy were we happy we did. The menu is not extensive, but with a few exceptions we were served everything on it. We were all complely hooked after the first dish, golden beet soup topped with smoked trout. That was followed by delicately treated scallops, west and east coast oysters, steak tartare topped with a quail egg, corn salad, asparagus flan, pork bellies, mussels and more. Mind you these were mostly small plates, so we were each just getting a bite or two of each thing, but oh the wonderful flavors, textures and smells. Not knowing what was going to come out of the kitchen next heightened the anticipation that much more! The meal ended with chocolate panna cotta, butterscotch ice cream on a ginger snap, a freshly made donut with jam and strawberry shortcake. All equally delicious and nicely presented! Hurray to chef George and sous chef Jai!! Thank you for a meal to remember!!

Reviewed May 30, 2012

We found Stateside soon after they opened last Fall and have been back many times. Anthony (the manager?) has always greeted us with a smile. We usually start with one of the pickled choices. The beets and pickles are our favorites. The Fall soup was a butternut squash with an apple foam. It was killer and we craved it! We'll order a few small plates to share. They always have a good beer selection and a great menu of specialty drinks. Parking later in the evening can be an issue but be patient. It's worth it.