“The truth beneath King Tut's mask”
Review of King Tut

King Tut
Ranked #1,827 of 4,519 Restaurants in Philadelphia
Cuisines: Middle Eastern
Reviewed March 28, 2013

I visited the restaurant at 930 PM. The space is small, crowded, and cold. If you like the smell of burning fruits and herbs then you will love the hookahs available to all. Check mouthpiece cleaning. There was a large screen TV blaring a Russian News report. The décor is tacky at best. The Egyptian owner was present and friendly. We were served plain tap water without ice. I ordered a spinach pie which was doughy and not very tasty. I loved the unusual pita bread said to be imported from Israel. My entrée was marinated lamb. It was tough, dry and very sour. The owner suggested I add tahini sauce, which he sat on the table when I told him the lamb was dry. I then had a tough, dry, sour piece of lamb with the added taste of tahini. He never asked if I wanted to try another dish. As served, the lamb sat on top of a mound of dry rice. The owner made up for the bad lamb by offering a free desert called Tut's favorite. I was a very sweet rice pudding topped with a small piece of cake and ground nuts. The price of the lamb was not taken off the bill. This is a BYOB restaurant.

2  Thank njdadddy

Reviewed February 8, 2013

THis restaurant specializes in middle Eastern food, from the Egyptian perspective. We had a sampler with grape leaves ( not briny at all) stuffed cabbage "cigarettes", hummus, yogurt dip, baba ganoug and felafel made from lava beans ( light and fluffy )served with hot authentic Israeli pita - flown in 2x a week. I had lamb that was tender and well seasoned, my husband had the spicy red snapper that was amazing. Both were served with fragrant rice. The food was delicious and the service delightful. The owner chatted with us and we gelt almost like dinner arty guests. BYO on top of it all. We would definitely return - so close to the theaters.

Reviewed December 14, 2012 via mobile

Went here for take out when in Philly on business. I got a vegetable samosa which was good, lamb curry which was not good, and humous with Naan bread. the humous was top notch and as good as the stuff I've had in the middle east. I'd overlook the poor curry and go back just for the humous.
They also do hookah/sheesha but I didn't sample any of them when there.

Reviewed October 14, 2012

We were welcomed very warmly by the restaurant owner. The restaurant is small enough that it is run primarily by owner and his family. They were very gracious, made every effort that we liked our food and brought us tea and desert without us ordering it showing extreme hospitality. Would highly recommend for a relaxed, friendly and personal dining experience.

Reviewed February 18, 2012

The restaurant is in a cute little corner building and is very cozy. Even though there are more tables than you would expect in the space, because of how it's all laid out you don't feel close to the other tables at all. The 2 of us sat at a 4 top with enclosed benches to sit on - it felt like we had the best seat in the house even though it was right in the middle of the room. The service was friendly and personal - the owner (who is from Egypt) waited on us all night and we ended up sitting there talking to him for quite a while after we were finished. The service is not hurried - if you are going to the theater or have a time limit, this may not be the place for you. The food was wonderful - we ordered way too much! We had lentil soup which was wonderful, the Kings Mezze platter, which could have been dinner by itself, and lamb and chicken shwarma. It was all terrific food - an all around wonderful evening and I would highly recommend King Tut!