“Never thought I would go to a Vegan Restaurant....”
Review of Vedge

Vedge
Ranked #6 of 4,491 Restaurants in Philadelphia
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: 12th Street
Reviewed February 13, 2014

Being from Texas, meat is a staple.

This was our first encounter with a vegan restaurant. I thought we would have to have a Philly Cheesesteak after our veggie encounter.

I was wrong. This was an outstanding "Top Chef" dinner.

The tastes, textures, presentation of the salt roasted beets, the white root pâté ( was this really parsnips?), roasted Maitake Mushroom, and the eggplant braciole (I could swear this was meat)

We did draw the line on dessert and enjoyed a Dunkin Donut down the street.

The bill for two, including two excellent brown ales was only $81 ....a steal for such a high quality and 5 star service dinner. Meat lovers, give this a try!

Reviewed February 9, 2014

This elegant vegan restaurant is one of the best in the world. The Grilled Seitan is beyond compare--you would swear you're eating a steak off the grill. We could not stop eating the Brussels Sprouts Shaved and Grilled with Smoked Mustard. Also of note were the Fingerling Potatoes with Creamy Worcestershire, and the frilly Maitake Mushroom that somehow had crispy little edges. For dessert, we had the Sticky Toffee Pudding and the housemade ice cream and sorbet sampler. Dinner for two with one delicious mocktail and one expensive glass of wine, was $102. The only dish I did not care for was the sweet potato pate, they went too crazy with the smoke and it was a bit unremarkable, but my husband liked it ok. There's a parking lot just before you get to the restaurant, on the same side, maybe within 100 yards, not sure. There is an optional coat check and the white stone bar in the front is lovely. The dimensions and features of the nice antique building are gracious. I would go again and again and again if I lived in Philly. I bought their cookbook so I can try to recreate at home. p.s. Lighting in Vedge is super low, so my photos are not good.

Reviewed January 31, 2014

Just had an AMAZING birthday dinner at Vedge. Highlights include the lupini beans with piri piri and fried garlic, roasted maitake mushrooms, and, of course, the sticky toffee pudding. Our server, Nichole, was the best - friendly and professional. We will be back!

Reviewed January 21, 2014

Unfortunate to be seatted facing the bathroom to the priviledge of watching men exiting while puling up their pants and their zipper. Unfortunate to be audience to the noise of whatever one does in a bathroom.
Unfortunate also to suggest the addition of a screen to the maitre d- free architectural consultation from an architect in the group- when the answer was " don't need your advise we are very succesful"
Also unfortunate that the food which shows a lot of creativity was ignored by the waiter. Appetizer- olives- and soup come at the same time. Asked to wait a bit and bring the soups later the waiter felt offended and showed it. Then the soup arrived but it was cold. No serving spoon and no gaze toward the dining room to catch the waiter attention. Moved my carot tadgine into my plate with the knife. The grilled tofu was a joke. Barely boiled ? barely cooked? an orange sauce with no texture nor aroma covered the marks of a grill instrument on this unhappy piece of tofu floating over a greassy puree decorated with also a greassy whatever fried something. Wedge, I live next door to you, Vedge I want to love you.I will try you again Vedge, but please get it together. Arogance is not a spice.

3  Thank minette2014
Reviewed January 18, 2014

First time….food was very delicious and the cocktails were yummy but the bill was very high for a carrot and some pickled cauliflower. Not sure I would go back mainly because it was so expensive for vegetables!