“OMG!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Vedge

Vedge
Ranked #5 of 4,342 Restaurants in Philadelphia
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: 12th Street
Bethlehem, Pennsylvania
“OMG!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 8, 2013 via mobile

Absolutely the finest vegan...no wait, the finest restaurant in Philadelphia. This slice of heaven is one of my favorite places to eat ANYWHERE! The food is like art, and the atmosphere is hip without being pretentious. You don't have to be vegan you just have to open to having the finest dining experience of your life. Compassion tastes great.

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank Lucian62965

• Korean first
Washington DC
“A Not-to-be-Missed Foodie Experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 4, 2013

This was one of the better meals we’ve had and not just within the context of veg/vegan food. No wonder the place was full on a wintry Monday evening. Not only are the food flavors creatively combined and fabulous tasting, but each dish was beautifully presented as well. We started with the sweet potato spread and the portobello mushroom carpaccio as appetizers. The sweet potato was excellent, and the carpaccio very good (albeit very tiny - but more on that later). We loved the spicy grilled tofu, and the grilled seitan and the maitaki mushroom dishes were also very good - described as ‘medium sized’ dishes or ‘entrees.’ The kale with mushroom ‘side dish’ was only okay when compared to everything else - a bit on the greasy side. The decor is pleasant and doesn’t try to compete for your attention with what’s on your plate. Our waiter was knowledgeable and attentive. Good beer choices - the waiter let me taste a couple when I was not sure which one to order (and he did likewise when the neighboring table was dithering over their wine). This is a foodie experience and not just for those who are veg or vegan. (By way of comparison, we felt the food here was significantly better than that served at vegan Candle 79 in New York City.)

The main negative is that expectations are set poorly: The staff talk in terms of an appetizer, entree and side dish which creates expectations of portion sizes that just aren’t accurate within the context of dining out in the US these days: These dishes are all small - sometimes no more than a few delicious bites. Even the ‘medium’ sized dishes are small. You’re better off thinking of it as mezze or tapas-style. If guests realize that they need to order at least 6 dishes for two people, they won’t be dismayed when 4 paper thin slices of mushroom show up as the appetizer or that at most 5 shaved brussel sprouts are all that come in the ‘side dish.’ Just because the food is veg, doesn’t mean it’s inexpensive - you are paying for the chef’s skill and artistry. If you eat slowly, savor eat bite, eat the bread that comes with the meal, and appreciate the richness of each dish, you won’t leave hungry.

Lastly, the dessert - a sticky toffee pudding - just didn't live up to the standard set by the rest of the meal. Syrupy brown sugar sauce with 3 candied pecans poured over a square of tasteless but absorbent ‘bread pudding’ topped with a scoop of unexceptional ice cream. Given how creative and flavorful everything else was, we felt that a kitchen this good could to do much better.

Altogether, our meal (6 dishes, 1 beer, 1 dessert and two coffees) cost around $120 including tip and tax. This is not unreasonable given the quality of the food and service and we won’t hesitate to come back again.

• Visited December 2013
1 Thank 2trvel
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Best Gourmet Veg Food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 3, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

There are not enough good things to say about Vedge. The food is inventive, delicious, and sufficient to totally satisfy even a non-vegetarian. The restaurant space itself is warm and open and not as packed together as many other Center City locations. You can actually carry on a normal conversation without yelling across your table. Gets my highest recommendation.

Visited September 2013
Washington, DC
“Fantastic food and service at Vedge in Philadelphia!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 2, 2013

I have known about and wanted to dine at Vedge for some time, but because I don't like having a big dinner, I never end up going there when I am in Philly.

But I went up going there for dinner today, and the food and service were just fantastic!

We didn't have a reservation, but called to see if they could accommodate us as we were leaving the office, and they invited us to come right over.

Having read the reviews, we knew the food would be just amazing. Rather than picking from the menu, we asked the cheerfully pleasant and helpful lady who was taking care of us if there was a chef's tasting menu. She advised that the chef could select some dishes for a four course meal (turned out to be five courses). I said that would be great, and asked only that I preferred hot plates rather than cold dishes.

Everything we had was so flavorful and delicious! They brought each of us a different dish for each course so that we could share and enjoy a greater variety if we wanted. I loved the grilled tofu dish that my friend got for one of the courses, and our server said that the chef can prepare that for me for the next course if I wanted.

The food came out quickly. After the third course, I joked that I needed to go take a walk so that I could digest the food and be in a position to properly appreciate the next course. She offered to give us more time between courses if we liked. I loved how willing they were to accommodate our preferences - not delaying in bringing out food, but allowing us more time to dine if we needed.

The meal was a great value for what we got. I would not hesitate in dining and Vedge again and again!

• Visited December 2013
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Wonderful: causing wonder and astonishment”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 29, 2013

We don't drive anywhere. Really. We live in Washington, DC, and think it's a long drive to Alexandria, VA. And yet, we drove to Philadelphia and ate at Vedge. Even more happily, we drove home. And I can't wait to drive up again.

How good was it? I called my globe-trotting (4 million miles on United alone) vegan (more than 30 years) brother who lives in Davis, CA, and told him to meet me at Vedge. Any day of the week.

It really is vegan and you'll swear they're lying and you'll swear that you're really a carnivore -- it's that good. And honestly, I don't even like radishes and yet there I was oohing and aahing over the radish "sushi." And if, like my husband, you think that mushrooms are wonderful then you'll think you clicked your heels three times and ended up in mushroom heaven. And if you love Peru because they have 3300 kinds of potatoes then you'll be in a state of awe when you eat the fingerlings. And the porter "ice cream" that accompanies one of the desserts is a revelation. And don't miss the French hard cider.

Just go.