I stayed here for 3 nights during a recent long weekend in Philadelphia. I was very pleased with the hotel and would not hesitate to stay there again. If Tripadvisor would allow me to give the property a "Very Good +" rating, I would do so without hesitation. (There were a few glitches that keep me from giving it an "Excellent" rating.)
The location is ideal for tourist activities. I did not have a car and did not need one. The hotel is ideally situated nearly in the middle of the major tourist attractions of the city. I walked everywhere and loved it. The hotel is also on the Big Bus Tour route, so that is very convenient, and I recommend it for a good overview of the city.
Check-in was a breeze and very pleasant. That was my only experience with the front desk personnel. I was given a room upgrade, which was an unexpected perk. I had reserved a studio but was given a 1-bedroom with a separate living area/kitchen. It was great for me -- plenty of room to spread out for the weekend! I felt like I had a cozy apartment of my own in the heart of downtown Philly. The kitchen had nearly everything I wanted, except an oven. It would have been nice to have an oven, but this was not a major drawback as I'm not much of a cook!
There is no standard hotel room service, but delivered food is available from a nearby Chili's restaurant. There is a ton of variety! The pepperoni pizza was surprisingly good. (Great pizza from Chili's -- who knew?) I enjoyed the convenience of this dining option so much that I opted for it for all three nights. However, the service deteriorated significantly during my visit. Night 1: Food arrived in about 20 minutes (though I was told to expect 30 to 45 minutes)...Night 2: food arrived in about 45 minutes (as I was promised)...Night 3: food took over 2 HOURS and multiple phone calls to arrive (I was originally told it would take 30 minutes). After that experience, I would advise someone to avoid it. Place a carryout order and go pick it up yourself if you want Chili's food.
Reading Terminal Market is located almost next door to the hotel -- TONS of food choices! And perhaps the best chocolate chip cookies I have ever eaten (4th Street Cookie Company). I was less impressed by Bassett's Ice Cream -- underwhelming, at best.
Just a couple criticisms of the hotel. It would have been nice to have tourist literature in the room. There was none. Yes, there are Paul Mitchell toiletries, but they are so tiny! If I had been sharing the room with another person or family members, there is no way there would have been enough shampoo and conditioner. Yes, I'm sure the hotel would have provided extras if asked, but that is an inconvenience. Finally, the elevator situation is really lacking. If the hotel is crowded, get ready to wait a long time for the elevator. Pack your patience!!!
I would not hesitate to stay at this hotel again. It was clean, comfortable, and in a great location at a decent price.
P.S. I read earlier reviews that complained about the noise. My room was on the 8th floor and faced a parking lot. Noise was not a problem. But I can see that if you have a room on a lower floor facing the beautiful City Government building, it could get noisy due to road traffic.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Residence Inn Philadelphia Center City Hotel is ideal for day, weekend getaway, or longer stays. Our hotel in Center City Philadelphia is just steps away from Historic City Hall and the Reading Terminal Market. The Pennsylvania Convention Center, Kimmel Center for the Performing Arts, world-class restaurants and shopping are all within walking distance of our extended stay Philadelphia hotel. While away from home, our Philadelphia Center City hotel helps you feel connected. Enjoy a sense of community at our complimentary hot breakfast buffet and the complimentary evening social events Monday-Wednesday. Our Center City Philadelphia hotel suites offer separate living, working and dining areas, complimentary Wi-Fi Internet and hallmark Marriott service. Our Philadelphia hotel in Center City is easily accessible from the Philadelphia Airport, Amtrak Train Station and I-95. Our Center City Philadelphia hotel meeting rooms, ideal for groups of 20-40 guests, are perfect for small meetings and social events. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Marriott, Hotwire, Travelocity, Priceline, Orbitz, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA and Odigeo so you can book your Residence Inn Philadelphia Center City reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Residence Inn Philadelphia Center City Hotel Philadelphia
- Philadelphia Residence Inn