“Wrong Marriott”

Ranked #39 of 85 Hotels in Philadelphia
Boston, Massachusetts
“Wrong Marriott”
Reviewed March 29, 2013

We stayed at the Residence Inn in December and the next door Courtyard last April. I would DEFINITELY choose the Courtyard over the Residence Inn. I really disliked everything about the Residence Inn, from the small lobby (with unresponsive desk staff) to the old and dated rooms. We were on one of the upper floors, our bed was fine but the pullout couch in the living room had a super thin mattress and was very uncomfortable for our 2 boys to share. The 2nd floor lounge in the Residence Inn was actually quite lovely, but not enough of a reason to stay there. The location is wonderful, but I wouldn't go back there and instead would choose either the Courtyard or the other Marriott around the corner. We didn't have breakfast there (even though it's included) because we were looking forward to breakfast at the nearby Reading Terminal Market.

Room Tip: if you're going to stay here, ask for a high floor and with a view of city hall.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank cocktailsandgelato
Ed F, General Manager at Residence Inn Philadelphia Center City, responded to this review, April 2, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback regarding our hotel. I am certainly disappointed that your stay was not all that it could have been. I would like to apologize for the condition of your sofa bed that your two boys had to sleep on. I wouldn't want to have my children also sleeping on a thin mattress. We have addressed this with our Housekeeping Manager so it can be corrected. I would like to talk more about your stay so at your earliest convenience you can reach me direct at 1-215-982-7930 or edward.farrington@marriott.com.
Once again please do accept my apologies and I do hope you give us another chance when you visit Philadelphia.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (189)
Markham, Canada
Reviewed March 26, 2013

Stayed here for five nights Feb 28 to March 4 2013. Friendly staff, stayed in room 1202, corner room facing Philly City Hall. Small bath, comfortable king bed, fold-out couch in the sitting area, kitchen with small 2-burner stove top, micro wave, dishwasher & apt size fridge + all the utensils.
Don't be confused there are three Marriotts within two blocks, the Residence, The Courtyards & the BIG Marriott.
Learned from two prior vists to Philly, if you can, don't bring the car. Few inexpensive places to park & the Philly Parking Nazis are relentless in towing. Most hotels in the core charge $35-$50+ per day for parking. Taxis are numerous & inexpensive ($26 to the airport $17 to the hockey/ football/ baseball stadiums. It is a great & relatively safe city core to walk. Reading( pronounced Redding) Market is around the corner, as is the Convention Centre, lots of great & relatively inexpensive restaurants close at hand. Only a few blocks to the Old City & the historical stuff. ( Can you believe it? They sell tacky bobble-head dolls of Geo. Wahington & Thomas Jefferson at the Liberty Bell shop!)

Not a cheap hotel at $250/night. We bought it three months in advance on Expedia & saved $50/night. Would recommend this hotel for anyone ,especially with a family, staying more than 3 nights in Philly. If you shop at the market & eat a meal or two a day in your room, you will make up what you have to pay for the room...and don't forget a hot breakfast in the lounge is included with the room price & OK food & selection too. Free coffee & tea 24/7 in the lounge.
Always the true test, would we go back? Yes in a heart beat.

2 Thank David O
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed March 25, 2013

The location of this hotel is excellent. It's right downtown across the street from City Hall and next to Macy's. There is a 7-11 next door if you need to pick up anything small that you forgot at home too, so that's helpful. The breakfast was great. Wide variety of choices. I suggest you bring your own drink though as the oj and apple juice were like colored water on all 3 mornings we had breakfast. The staff was great too (both front desk and breakfast staff).

The only real problem with this hotel was the room. We had an oddly shaped corner room that was about half the size of a normal room. Only one side of the bed had a night stand and it was half behind a wall. There was no trash can at all in the room (probably no place to put it) and we had to place trash on the counter. The bathroom walls had mildew on them and there was a hole in the wall behind the bathroom door. I have never stayed in a Marriott property where the rooms looked like this. Also we couldn't turn the heat on because it made a horrible rumble noise. It sounded like a jet engine in the room.

I felt bad because I made my boyfriend cancel our reservation at the Sheraton so I could make one here because I prefer Marriott properties. This was the only time I regretted that.

If I return to Philly, I will book somewhere else. Although the lobby and breakfast room were beautiful, location great, and staff friendly, the rooms are in bad need of updating and you might get stuck in the odd "half-room". There are just too many hotels downtown that are nicer than this one.

Room Tip: Make sure you are not stuck in a corner half-room!
1 Thank Amanda N
Ed F, General Manager at Residence Inn Philadelphia Center City, responded to this review, March 26, 2013
Thank you Amanda for your response from your stay this past weekend. I wanted to thank you for your time in giving us feedback during your time here. We go over all comments with the entire hotel team on a daily basis to make sure we can improve in areas of need. I wanted to thank you for the very nice comments regarding our Front desk and Breakfast team being great & friendly. I would like to give you my direct office line to contact me so we can go over your stay with us. My number is 215-982-7930 or edward.farrington@marriott.com. I look forward to hearing from you. Thanks again for staying with us.
Williamsburg, Virginia
Reviewed March 2, 2013

This is the second time we stayed here. Curb/valet service for pleasant and efficient. $48 per day parking fee which includes all taxes. Our vehicle returned in perfect condition. Face view of the architecturally beautiful City Hall of limestone, granite and marble. A 27 ton bronze statue of William Penn, the founder of the city, perches on top. The room was very clean, well appointed and a fabulous free breakfast is included. The front desk personnel were very welcoming and helpful. Easy walk to many attractions, restaurants and transportation. We will seek to stay here again in the future.

Meerut, India
Reviewed February 25, 2013

I stayed for 3 nights and 4 days during my ADA Conference at Penn Covention Hall in June 2012. The hotel location is excellent, big rooms with small kitchen and good bathroom, free breakfast and free coffee and tea dispenser in lobby, news paper in rooms. Overall good experience, most of the city attractions are within walking distance, Metro station is very near. The convention hall is very near, hadly 200 meters away, which was the biggest advantage for us. I will like to stay again and strongly recommends to others also.

Room Tip: Choose rooms on front side , facing city hall have good views, higher floors are less disturbing/noi...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Douglassville, Pennsylvania
Reviewed February 18, 2013

I stay at this hotel with my family several times per year when we visit Philadelphia. It is in a fantastic location - directly accross the street from City Hall. The hotel is very clean, and the rooms (suites) are larger than a normal hotel room, all with kitchens or kitchenettes. The best part of this property is the staff. Everyone, from the valet parking staff; to the front desk personnel; to the housekeeping staff; to those who staff and refill the free breakfast buffet are incredibly service oriented. They are pleasant and actually make you feel as though they will do anything they can to make your stay more enjoyable, (and they really try to do so). Keep in mind, this is not a luxury hotel. However, it is a great option for a family or business trip. Our last visit was in January, 2013 over New Years for the Mummers' Parade. We had a great stay. I want to give a special shout out to Kelly Rogers, who was kind enough to upgrade my family to an available two bedroom suite, which made our stay extra enjoyable. We will continue to stay here anytime we have occastion to stay in downtown Philadelphia, and we could not recommend this place highly enough!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Bangkok
Reviewed January 10, 2013

We just returned from a 3 day stay here and don't know if we will be back. First, the King bed is very uncomfortable and feels old. Second, when you call "Guest Services" for towels or sheets it takes up to 40 minutes for someone to come...if you don't have to call again to remind them!

Also we enjoy a good workout. The towels provided in the workout room were perhaps white 5 years ago but they have managed to put all the dirty brown/black towels in the gym for our use! Nasty!

Front desk and valet staff were very kind though and were the shining light on the stay.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family