Residence Inn by Marriott Philadelphia Center City
$179
$149
Agoda.com
  • Restaurant
All reviewspenn squaregreat locationcenter cityacross the streetbedroom suitevalet parkingfree breakfastreading terminal marketfull kitchenyogurtsofa beddunkin donutswithin walking distancesitting areafront desk staffbreakfast roombusiness center
Reviewed January 10, 2013

We just returned from a 3 day stay here and don't know if we will be back. First, the King bed is very uncomfortable and feels old. Second, when you call "Guest Services" for towels or sheets it takes up to 40 minutes for someone to come...if you don't have to call again to remind them!

Also we enjoy a good workout. The towels provided in the workout room were perhaps white 5 years ago but they have managed to put all the dirty brown/black towels in the gym for our use! Nasty!

Front desk and valet staff were very kind though and were the shining light on the stay.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank devotioncafe
Reviewed January 7, 2013

This is a suite hotel which is great for all different types of travelers. The location is great, right across from City Hall with many things in walking distance. This is a smoke-free hotel with 280 suites on 25 floors, pets are allowed as well. The hotel offers several great amenities like a fitness room with some treadmills, eliptical machines, & free weights. There is a good sized coin operated laundry room, a lounge area, free wifi, & free breakfast, 24 hour coffee and tea.

They have a few different room types. I was in a studio suite, the smallest but by no means small. it was very roomy & comfortable. I really liked the room a lot. When you walk in there's a table for 2 where you can eat - the drawback is that it's right by the door with no TV. A few feet more and you have a living room area with pullout sofabed and the kitchenette. The kitchenette has a full refrigerator, stove, coffee maker, & microwave along with all the cooking utensils & dinnerware you will need. Next to the living room area is a desk & large tv which swivels so you can see it from the living room area or the bed. The bed was so comfortable, I got a great nights sleep for each of the 2 nights I spent there. The bathroom was large and the shower was great. The room did not have a safe. The closet is in the bedroom area in the corner and that's where the mirror is, the lighting there isn't great so that was a tiny drawback. There is an iron/'ironing board in the closet with a good amount of hangers. There is one luggage stand, I wish there were 2 since most times there's at least 2 people traveling. The heating system was odd, when I set it the room would warm up but they it would get very chilly before it went back on and it was a bit loud. I found our room to be drafy by the window so maybe that's why the room would get chilly before the heat kicked back in. Not all rooms may be set up this way.

The free daily breakfast was great. To my surprise they had scambled eggs, hash browns, & potatoes one day & french toast another day. They also offer bagels, muffins, cold cereal, yogurt, make your own waffles, fruit, coffee, tea, & hot chocolate. The offerings sometimes change daily. I think it ended around 930am, which I thought was a little early but it may be until 10am on weekends.

There is a bar in the lounge area outside the breakfast room but it wasn't open during my 2 night stay. On Monday through Thursday evening they offer a reception in the lounge which varies by night, it was light desserts when I was there. The lounge area is on the 2nd floor and has couches and comfortable seating with several tvs, it's where the 24 hour coffee & tea are.

We did not use the valet parking which is $46 per day, I found a garage 2 blocks away under Macys which was $26 for 24 hours! The hotel is in a good location, there are main bus lines right there along with the subway a block away. We walked to the Franklin Institute from the hotel and it was barely 15 minutes. You can walk just a few blocks and you'll find many dining choices, Chinatown is a 10 minute walk as well as the "Gay-borhood" area.

I would stay at this hotel again...and again!

Room Tip: To save money park in a self park garage and not valet which is $45 per night.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank JoeytravelerNJ
Reviewed January 5, 2013

We stayed here for just one night, but wished we were there longer. The place was clean, equipped with a kitchen, a nice TV, included breakfast, and a fantastic location.

This hotel is right across from City Hall and in the center of everything. If you like to walk, It's within walking distance to city attractions like Independence Hall and other historic sites, Love Park, National Constitution Center, Penn Convention Center, Franklin Institute, Philadelphia Museum of Art (a longer stroll), Arts Theatres, and Rittenhouse Square. Plus, you are right next to a station to connect to a couple of subway lines to move you around to other parts. It's a simple ride down Broad Street to get to the Sports Complex in South Philly, or north to Temple University. There is also another subway for E/W travels.

The only negative was the high price for parking, but if you are willing to walk 5 or 6 blocks, you can find much cheaper lots. We found one that was $5 from Friday night to Monday morning, but no in and outs. But since you can walk or ride to almost everything, you wouldn't need to take your car out much. And if you do, you'd still probably come out ahead. :)

The place just had everything I would need for a nice stay and I would definitely like to stay here again if I came back to Philadelphia.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 3, 2013

It was an OK stay. We had a gas line issue at our home so we decided to stay at a hotel. I did the reservations online and was accommodated immediately. When we got to our room it smelled like cigars. GROSS!! The extra sheets had a large rip in it. I called the front desk and they said that someone would be right up a new set of sheets. No one ever came. I told the front desk in the morning, they apologized and said they would give me Marriott points for the inconvenience. I did not receive it until I had to call 2 weeks later to remind them. For it was, it was an OK stay. I have seen better!

Room Tip: For business purposes only.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank BrendaK81
Reviewed December 18, 2012

Stayed for two nights on business. While work colleagues had told me the Courtyard (next door) would be better, I can clearly vouch that the Residence Inn was far superior. There are two reasons for this: the service (everyone is extremely friendly and helpful) and the breakfast (which was better than anticipated). The common space on the floor where the breakfast is served was quite large (for a city hotel), nicely decorated and well thought out (and TV's in the breakfast bar greatly appreciated so I could catch up on the news). The room had an odd layout to say the least, but had all the amenities one would expect from a Residence Inn (fridge, popcorn for first night, etc.) Great location within five minutes of Center Ciry offices, City Hall, Reading Terminal Market and top restaurants. Would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business