“One of the City's best restaurants”
Review of Gemelli on Main - CLOSED

Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Pennsdale Street
Reviewed December 18, 2012

It seems to me that most restaurant writers miss the mark by reserving their highest praise for those truly grand restaurants that manage a complicated menu and enormous beverage list in a grand setting. I think we should remember that the heart of the visit to the restaurant lies in the taste of the food-did you get delicious or didn't you?

By that standard, Gemelli is a great restaurant. The folks in the kitchen know how to cook. On our last visit, we had a seafood ravioli cooked al dente with a luscious mixed grill of vegetable and the steak frites cooked to perfection with perfect beef flavor. The pastas have always been outstanding and the fry cook does a great job. The daily soups -especially in winter-are a joy. We delighted in the cream of parsnip.
Neither of us is so sophisticated that we don't go all gooey over a creme brulee and we're glad that Gemelli is relaxed enough to make one-it's savory and eggy.
The wine and beer list is short but loaded with delicious and sophisticated choices that make the food even tastier. They are even daring enough to offer some big bottles of beers that aren't available in the small (12oz) format. We passed up a Victory Red Thunder for Dogfish Head's Hellhound. There was also a Scaldis on tap and some serious eel river porter.
In our several visits, the service has always been friendly and knowledgeable.

1  Thank Lynn H

Reviewed October 31, 2012

A group of four of us went a few weeks ago- I waited to post because I was warned by the manager that "he would find me" and write back in response to my post. I am sure the psychopath still will.--- and he did waive our entire bill and appologize by making up some lies.

We sat for dinner. Rolls were cold and hard as rocks. We ordered our appetizers. Apps came and were okay. After appetizers we ordered our meals. The tables around us then were sat, served all the courses and were gone before we even heard about our food-- im talking over an hour wait. We were fine, very pleasant and just drinking as we waited. We did not complain or anything at this point. The manager then came to us and told us that because of a small street fair that morning they "got our (profanity for butts) handed to us" and were "really tired." He then said our food would be up in five minutes and sorry for the delay. We did not get our food for another 15 minutes. If this was the truth, the whole restaurant would have been not getting thier food either, but every other table was saw ate and paid before we ever saw our entrees.

Five minutes after getting our good, not great but not bad, food the waitress was asking us if we wanted boxes... Really?! We politley said no and kept eating and drinking for a while, shocked at how the manger made lame excuses about how busy they were when the tables around us were eating in normal times. Be Honest, someone lost our order. We wouldnt have cared if we were told the truth, and we obviously we not.

After paying our check we headed downstairs. This is the part that angers me the most. I have shared this part with many friends- none of them will ever go to this restaurant. While the girls were in the bathroom i heard the manager start yelling, We ran out of the bathroom to see the manager literally yelling at my brother in law- hand in the air, making a huge scene. My brother was attempting to keep the manager in the back portion of the restaurant to not draw attention but the manager thrived on this i guess and kept yelling and moving to where everyone could see. He was just simply telling the manager that we didnt really appreciate being lied to. The manager started to make a scene, in his own restaurant. During his rant and yells he told us "to come outside, take this outside," "shut your mouth" complete with hands being thrown in the girls' faces, and that he would find us if we posted on any social media sites saying that he would post that he really was sorry and he didnt lie. At one point he offered to cover the whole check, at first we said no but as he continued to be so rude that we ended up letting him. As we waited for the check to be reversed multiple other workers came up to us and told us how that manager does this often. We went down the street to another bar to cool off and the bartender said he has heard many stories like this!

My brother in law went and talked to the owner the next day- not for anything free but to notify him that his employee is treating customers like this. The manager appearently acted fine but nothing changed. The manager is still there.

I have never written a bad review before, i usually write them off for a bad night and dont want to hurt the business but in all truthfulness, i just dont want anyone to ever be treated as poorly as we were treated. I have never been disrespected so much in my life.

Reviewed October 28, 2012

relocated from Narberth but with a different menu, his lovely italian restaurant has a small but excellent menu, with good salads and bread, and terrific service,with friendly , knowledgable and attentive waitstaff. everyone in our party enjoyed their entree. the only complaint about the place on a saturday nite was the noise level.

Reviewed October 12, 2012

The food was spectacular, but a bit pricey. The service was very nice! Everything was fine. The atmosphere was rich and elegant, but it was a little tight.

Overall, I recommend this restaurant, if you have the money. Luckily, I was treated to this restaurant at a special event.

Reviewed August 12, 2012 via mobile

Came here by chance after missing the bus downtown from Main Street. It was early, so we were one of a few people in the restaurant. The bar tender, David, immediately took us "under his wing" and sat us at the bar. Having never been there, we let him recommend some items for dinner. The prices struck me as high but when the food came it was clear that it was all very high quality. Overall, we had a great time... ended up meeting an investor of the restaurant who sat at the bar too. He brought his own fancy wine for dinner and passed it over to us to finish! Oddly fun experience that made us feel at home there!

Upon leaving, David gave us a secret coupon for our next visit...still waiting to use it!