“WOW - she threw away my crusts!!”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Slice Pizza

Slice Pizza
Ranked #829 of 4,342 Restaurants in Philadelphia
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Good for: Dining on a budget, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Seating, Takeout
rural hinterland
“WOW - she threw away my crusts!!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2012

We stopped in Philly on the way to Atlantic City to grab some lunch. I still had this Groupon and wanted to use that. Wow, had I known what I would get into, I would not have bothered with this place.

First, there is no parking. In my country you wouldn't get any public business licence if you can't provide enough customer parking at your business lot. Here, in the land of the free, they have the freedom of not needing such a parking place.

That means for us, the customers, to find a parking space somewhere else, pay several dollars (!!) and then walk back to the place. Hopefully you will remember at that time where the venue/business was that you wanted to visit...

We found it again and stepped inside. It was really very small, but that is not bad at all. It can still be great.

I remember their website and the marketing text on the Groupon, they were claiming this was an upscale place. No, it is not. In my country this would not even be called "Restaurant", instead this is an "Imbiss". Like a Fast Food place without being fast.

Hubby ordered the most fancy pizza they had, with goat cheese and caramelized onions. I went with the vegetarian "seasonal" pizza with spinach and Ricotta and tomatoes. I will never know what was seasonal about it in November, but OK, we were hungry and late by now.

The pizza itself was not that great.

It wasn't too bad, I mean, I had worse before, but considering these prices (around 16 $ for a pie) I was actually expecting "great". Like what we get in Scarsdale...

For 16$ (or around that price) I need to get real mozzarella on the pie, not this american fake rubber ball sliced or shredded. The problem is that Americans don't know they are served with cheaze fakes, since they never (or hardly ever) get the original (outside NYC).

The size is actually huge! I had ordered a large because I couldn't imagine how big it really was. That's not a problem, I am just saying a medium might have been enough. We could not possibly eat this all, so we asked for a box to take it on the road with us. This would be tomorrow's breakfast or a late night snack for later.

I had left my crusts (the end bits of a pizza slice, the outer side, not the tip of the triangle slice) on my (plastic!!!) plate, as Hubby likes to dunk those in his morning coffee. I needed to visit their bath room, and when I came back, the boxes were at the table, the pizze were in them - but not my crusts! I asked the person where'd they go, and she said she threw them away! WHAT?

I am not kidding you, this is really true! She did throw them away, as she (assumably) thought they were unwanted. But she should have asked before she did that! Hubby came from the bathroom while I went to it, and in that short time window she did that.

Now she could have apologized, she could have offered any kind of compensation (whatever, like a single slice of another pizza. Yes, they do sell by the slice also, so she could have done so. Or she could have discounted our 2 large ones), but she didn't. Even when I said the crusts were meant for next day's breakfast, she didn't offer any reaction than a shrug.

I was very upset and we left.

I actually told Hubby to pack up the 6 $ tip from the table that he intended to leave there. We had paid already too much (for those prices you can get really heavenly authentic pizza in NY!!), we were late for Atlantic City because of the stupid parking problem, and now the crusts had been thrown away. I just wanted to leave.

Stupidly enough, I had bought a second Groupon before ever using the first one, since I wanted to take advantage of the deal and could not imagine that a Pizzeria in Philadelphia Center City could be such a failure. I mean, the rental must be skyrocketing in that area, and to be able to pay your rent there you must do great in your business. So I thought, at least.

Luckily for me, Groupon has a wonderful customer care, they refunded my second (unused) groupon when I told them I was so unhappy with my experience and that I will never go back there. Thanks Groupon.

But I mean that - I will not go back!

• Visited November 2011
2 Thank Albgardis T

Durham, North Carolina
“A little Slice of Philly”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2012

We were in town visiting a friend this summer who wanted to take us to a neighborhood pizza joint she enjoys. We were all for it!

Cute, very tiny place on the corner. Not too many tables so it seems crowded all the time. It's so small, when I needed to use the restroom, one of the employees literally walked me through the kitchen to get to it!!

Anyway, the pizza is ok. I do like a more upscale pizza every now and then, but I usually just prefer your everyday ordinary toppings. It's obvious the ingredients are of high quality and the prices reflect that.

The waitstaff is friendly and quick to get to you. One thing I really liked is they keep large bottles of very cold water in their stand up fridge that they bring to your table and will replace when you run out . If memory serves me correctly it has lemon slices in it too. Nice touch, especially since it was hot out & hot in the dining area!! I guess cos it's such a small place it's not easy to get away from the heat of the ovens during the summertime.

• Visited July 2011
Scranton, Pennsylvania
“Not bad, but nothing special either”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2012

This pizzeria is showing off their awards in frames on their walls, and the website is looking like it is a real upscale eatery. But in the end it is not.

Came here recently to try the pizza. Not bad, but can't be compared to NYC styles. Well, they do call theirs Philly style, and maybe it is just me, but I would not come back here. I thought it was overpriced for what you actually get.

For 16 $ I am getting a world-shaking pie in New York City, out of a wood fired oven, flash baked and with real (Bufala) mozzarella. The same amount paid in Philly's City Center district just buys me a mediocre pizza with american (cow's) cheese and some other regular ingredients.

Nothing surprising, nothing new or great. But at least the pies are big, really big. A large one will feed 2 very hungry adults or 4 regularly hungry adults.

Place is surprisingly small. The website gave the impression this was a big famous place, but again, it is not. But the small size of the dining room is not a problem. I am having a problem with the attempted grandezza which could not be achieved by service or product. Will not likely return here.

• Visited November 2011