“I expected More”

Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Pine Street
Reviewed January 22, 2014

Okay the foie gras soup is unbelievable and worth the visit but the food went down from there. The octopus with harissa was tough and over cooked and sat too long (I was seated at the chefs counter). The Roasted Pork was mostly fat and the provolone bread pudding was meh. The key lime pie for dessert was just ok. All in all, I expected more for my money.

Reviewed January 21, 2014

We arrived for our 8:15 reservation and were greeted by two hostesses. One was having a conversation with other patrons a head of us and the other asked us if we needed help. However she talked over and through the other people and not bothered to leave her post to come over to us. So instead of yelling over to her I walked around to talk to her. It was very odd. We were escorted to our table and waited for our friends to arrive. After being seated for a few minutes I notice how cold it was at our table. We were near the door, and every time the door opened at blast of cold air came in. It was freezing. When our friends arrived, we asked to be moved to another table. Our request was refused. The restaurant was not yet full.. We asked to be seated at the banquet table for two tops. All the had to do was move a table over and make it for four. Again they refused saying those tables were for two's only, Really? What would have been the big deal. We stayed at our table. My friends ate with their coats on. Our server asked us if this was our first time dining here, we said yes. He did not explain the menu to us. We had to ask a slew of questions about every dish. Being a prix fix menu it would have been nice to have items explained and told about the wine pairings. None of that was done. We were also seated next to the service area where plates and silverware were bussed. Yup, great dining experience........ The food was okay. The drinks were fine. Too bad management has not taken the time to train the staff and show them how to really treat the guests at this restaurant. We will not return.

1  Thank Shoeshop
Reviewed January 19, 2014

The server had to lean close to my ear to be heard, and my wife had to repeat almost everything she said to me (most voices were outdone by the overly loud, energetic "background 'music'" chosen perhaps to please the staff rather than soothe the patrons). The delicious and innovative food was excellent, however, as was the service. Portions were small but quite satisfying as a complete meal, and the plates were thankfully an appropriate size for the tiny, closely spaced tables.

Reviewed January 11, 2014

Truly remarkable! The fois gras soup, the escargot, the rigatoni and the rum cake!!! Each course better than the last. I honestly can't wait to go back!

Reviewed January 9, 2014

Went for a dinner with my husband and admittedly there has already been so much hype that maybe the restaurant didn't have much of a chance to live up to it.

The people who say $45 for 4 courses is a bargain would be right if this was anything like four courses of normal portion (or even a little smaller). I am not a big eater, but when my Nicoise salad arrived I laughed out loud - it was literally (I wrote it down so as not to forget) ONE slice of lettuce cut into 3 pieces, 2 green beans cut into half each, 3 dried olives, and 1/4 of a hard boiled egg.

The other dishes were slightly larger (slightly), and all of the presentations were definitely beautiful. The foie gras soup was probably the best savory dish. The sauce on the Octopus was good, but it could have been any meat underneath and the falafel had some nice seasoning but the texture was a little dry and mealy. The highlights were dessert, which is unusual, we had the key lime and the brown butter, both which were flavorful and pretty.

We liked the atmosphere, the sophisticated rustic look is comfortable and not pretentious. The service was rather fast for multiple courses, but the waiter was nice. The wine was very expensive for the pour, one of the pricier lists we've seen in Philly in a while.

Overall, nice vibe, beautiful plates, but food wasn't amazing, and we ordered a pizza afterward.