“All 7 of us enjoyed the Sbraga”
Review of Sbraga

Sbraga
Ranked #221 of 4,445 Restaurants in Philadelphia
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Pine Street
Reviewed February 4, 2013

4 course dinner for 49 USD - interesting choices and the courses were appetizing to look at and tasty as well. Seven people from a conference at the convention center popped by Sbraga, had an enjoyable evening, albeit a bit expensive in total including wine, coffee, tips, etc.

Reviewed February 4, 2013

The choice of 4 courses is a neat and fun style of menu and is growing in popularity amongst classy Philadelphia restaurants. The 2nd course gnocchi escargot was amazing. I was spotted from across the restaurant using my fork to finish the broth after I had devoured the soft delicious pasta and a busser slipped a soup spoon in front of me within seconds. It was attentive service on a busy night like i've never seen. My buddy was also amazed at this! His black truffle risotta was quote "fire" as well.

Reviewed January 26, 2013

You have to be kidding me. Pretentious? No way - outrageous food and 4 courses for $49 makes this a fine dining bargain. The ingredient combinations get a little out there (pork belly several ways) but the choices are fantastic! I ate here this Wed and it was not crowded, which allowed the staff more time to talk to us about our choices and the paired wines and beer.

Every time I need to go to Philly I think "yeah, Sbraga!"

Try eating at the bar or reserve a stool at the kitchen bar and watch them cook!

Jim. Austin.

Reviewed January 21, 2013

From the decor to the service to the food, this smal,l rather loud restaurant hit all the right notes. The bonus was a $49 price for the four course dinner and wine pairings for $35. A somewhat unusual feature of the 4 course meal was the option to choose from five items for each course. With the exception of a new desert item, red pepper pineapple with yogurt ice cream, the wine pairings were perfect. Bread was a truffle flavored pop-over which was a nice touch. The service was professional and attentive adding nicely to the overall experience. At a nearby table, a young couple was sharing the 4 course dinner. Nice to see a restaurant allow that. I am sure they will be back. I wished I visited Philly more often.

Reviewed January 19, 2013

Sbraga was an extraordinary find, thanks in part to tripadvisor reviews. The 4 course prix-fixe menu for $49 was a wonderful value. The food was incredible and the service was excellent, the only negative was that the place was packed and we had to wait almost 15 minutes for a table, despite having reservations.

The service was phenomenal and attentive. I am allergic to gluten, and the waiter helped go through the menu to tell me all of the different choices I could order or courses that they could adapt to make without gluten.

For our first course, I ordered the ceviche. It had cold citrus flavors along with some heat from jalapeno foam. The flavors of the food dance in your mouth. My husband ordered the foie gras soup. He said it was rich and intensely flavorful with a subtle sweetness added from the rose relish. Some of the best soup he's ever had.

For our next course, I ordered the octopus with piri piri sauce and my husband had the sea bream with pork belly. I am an octopus connoisseur, and this octopus was the best I had ever had. It was amazingly tender and not at all chewy like octopus often is. The sea bream with pork belly was well cooked and a good combination of flavors.

For our third course, I got the lamb with brussels sprouts and pancetta. This was the tastiest lamb I have ever had. The waiter told us that it is cooked in the oven and then sauteed again after all of the flavors had cooked in. The flavor palette was unique and delicious and you did not even need to use a knife to cut it. I was a bit perplexed when my husband ordered meatloaf. Meatloaf? In a place like this? I had to eat my words as his meatloaf came out. It was the size of a souffle and loosely held together with a consistency very unusual for meatloaf. The combination of meats were tender and melted in your mouth. It disgraces all other meatloafs!

Finally dessert...my husband has a sweet tooth unlike anyone I have ever met. He could not decide between the chocolate peanut butter ganache bowl or the pumpkin mouse. Lucky for him, they accidentally brought him the mouse when he in fact ordered the chocolate. They apologized multiple times and let him have both. Well, he was delighted, especially because he ended up liking the mouse the best. That said, he finished both desserts. I had the rice pudding, the only gluten free option. I am not a rice pudding fan, but this I could eat every night. It was sweet, creamy, and had a good combination of spices.

It was not until we got home that I learned that this restaurant is owned by Kevin Sbraga from Top Chef. It was a phenomenal meal and as we left, we started planning our next trip to Philly to return to Sbraga. We can't decide if next time we will try new things or stick with the amazing choices we ordered on our first visit.

1  Thank EricDanielle M