“I make better food than this”
Review of Avenida - CLOSED

Avenida
Cuisines: Guatemalan
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Gowen Ave
Transit: Allen"s Lane train station, Gowen Avenue train station. Septa
Description: We invite you to indulge your taste buds in the bold Latin American flavors and tantalizing cocktails that we serve at Philadelphia’s award-winning restaurant, Avenida.Set in a historic Mount Airy home built in the 1700s, patrons will sit by the stone fireplace or on the romantic outdoor porch sipping margaritas and sampling Chef Edgar’s signature guacamole with homemade tortilla chips and salsa.Stop by for dinner tonight to sample the award-winning delicacies that he and wife and partner Chef Kim Katz Alvarez have prepared. And do bring the kids! The owners of Avenida pride themselves on being family-friendly.
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“I make better food than this”
Reviewed December 17, 2012

Came here on a weekday and it was empty when I arrived. Around 7pm more people started arriving. Not enough to fill the room.

We were greeted and seated immediately. To drink I had michelada (unfortunately, the waiter arrived with a can of Tecate which I hate both, canned beer and Tecate). To start they brought us some chips and salsa & guacamole. The salsa didn't taste fresh and the guacamole was good but you can't really go bad with guacamole since avocado taste good by itself.

My fiance ordered the Vegetarian Fondido ($8) which is "soy chorizo, black beans, roasted poblanos with cheese on top". I ordered the Guatemalan Tamale ($16) which was vegan and consisted of zucchini, roasted poblanos, olives, served with a side of tomatillo sauce. Where are the capers?! Too salty for my liking. I have had so many central american tamales and have made some myself and the ones at Avenida are by far the worst I've ever tried. Sorry, but I am not coming back here anymore.

To our waiter,
Learn how to pronounce the items on the menu correctly. Practice makes perfect and you won't look foolish.

Quick Spanish Lesson:

Sopa de Dia = Soup of the day

Pronounced: [so'-pah] [day] [dee'-ah]

NOT the way you pronounced it: [sue' pah] [day] [die' ah]

• Visited December 2012

Chicago, Illinois
“Really good upscale Mexican in Mount Airy”
Reviewed December 16, 2012

I really enjoyed my dinner at Avenida. The service is beyond great, and the food is very delicious. It is not the cheapest place in Mt Airy, but it definitely was worth it. The margaritas are fantastic (and I got my mother-in-law drunk off her VERY FIRST margarita of her life here, so this place will always hold a special place in my heart).

They also do an awesome brunch that I would recommend to anyone looking for some drinks+food on a Sunday morning/afternoon.

Visited August 2012
Philadelphia, PA
“Good food and neat atmosphere -- would definitely return”
Reviewed November 12, 2012

Overall a very positive experience. Good location, easy parking and good atmosphere. Our server was friendly and attentive.

We really enjoyed our appetizers (spare ribs, grilled octopus, calamari) and I liked my entree (sea bass) but not as much as the appetizers -- I think it was a little over cooked. My wife's entree (tamale) was good, but she did not like it that much. The dessert (sweet potato upside down cake) was phenomenal. Overall, I was pleased, and I would return.

• Visited November 2012
Kulpsville, Pennsylvania
“Way cool, great food and a great value”
Reviewed September 19, 2012

I have been driving past this place for over a year. Googled it and saw the menu, I was sold and had to try it. My wife and I went on a Saturday night. I suggest reservations just to be safe. It is small and I hear it can get crowded fast.
Food was excellent combination of Latino and American cuisine. A good "morph" between the two.
Service was great. My only complaint was with the hostess. She was a bit anal in teh way they seat you. The dining room is small but there was no need this night to seat us like lining up toy soldiers. She could have spread us out and provided everyone with a little privacy and intimacy.
Other than that .. you gotta go!

• Visited June 2012
Bloomington, Minnesota
“Noisy and just ok for a group”
Reviewed August 27, 2012

While I would have preferred to sit outdoors or in the dining room, we had a group of eleven and were put in a private dining room on the second floor. It felt like we were sitting in the bedroom of a house. The service was attentive but slow - in their defense, it was a Friday night and the restaurant was very busy. The chips with salsa and guacamole were delicious and we ordered extra. The food is authentic Latin and is well spiced. They had a nice selection of wines and the sangria was very good. I would prefer to go their as a couple or a party of four. Probably wouldn't go as part of a group again.

• Visited August 2012