“Excellent.”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Il Pittore - CLOSED

Il Pittore
Cuisines: Italian, Mediterranean
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Validated Parking, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: 20th Street
Pennsylvania
“Excellent.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2014

Great dining experience. Service and atmosphere exceptional. Do not go there unless you want gourmet dining, they offer no relatively simple choices. I had ravioli but it was very buttery, no red sauce, and the next day I still felt it. Wine list really good, great Italian wines.

• Visited August 2014

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Outstanding and atmospheric dinner”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2014

We were looking for a special place to have dinner on the last day of our family vacation, and came across the rave reviews for Il Pittore. It was a great choice. The staff was friendly, knowledgeable and attentive. They were also justifiably proud of having just earned a prestigious award for best chef in the city. The food was outstanding - each member of our party of 5 ordered something different, primarily a selection of appetizers and house made pastas, and then passed them around and raved about each dish. The waiter offered appropriate and personalized wine recommendations. And the atmosphere was relaxed and inviting, with the light filled second floor giving the impression that you are dining al fresco in a well appointed garden. We rolled out of the restaurant well fed and discussing when we might return.

• Visited August 2014
Fort Worth, Texas
“Put this one on your list”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2014

While an Italian restaurant, it was much more than that. Except for the pasta, this restaurant didn't really "feel" like a visit to Italy. It did however surprise in its range of very good food. The appetizers are varied and extremely good. The same can be said for the entrées. The wine list is extensive and had some unusual wines that were very good. Desserts were likewise unique, varied and quite good. Service was outstanding. We had a large party (8) and it didn't appear that anyone was lacking for anything. Of course when you're spending lots of $$$ the service tends to be a lot better so I'm not sure if the driver was the big price tag or if it was the norm. I'd highly recommend this restaurant, quality and service were solid, if a little pricey.

• Visited July 2014
Roanoke, Virginia
“Excellent armosphere, mediocre food”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2014 via mobile

This gets 3 stars for atmosphere (relaxed, but with some good energy, and nice rapport with the street on a cool evening) and design, but the service and food left a lot to be desired. Perhaps our waiter was in training, so he gets the benefit of the doubt. The food was overpriced and unimpressive--memorable for the entirely wrong reason: 'wow, I can't believe I'm paying $17 for these 4 pieces of over-tough pasta swimming in nondescript sauce' rather than the 'wow, I don't care what it takes, I must have one more bite of this'. We were looking for a lighter meal, so did nor have any of the secondi; those may have been stellar. The cocktails were pretty yummy. I liked the vibe enough to give it a second try, but would not return after that if the food showed the same.

Philadelphia
“Bits of adequacy interspersed with incompetence”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2014

This is a Steven Starr restaurant, which means you are getting a well designed set, some adequate set pieces, and mostly a mediocre experience. If you don't know any better, this place is fine. if you ere comparing it to South Philadelphia, you may be pleased. If you are comparing it to the Italian restaurant at Disney World, you will be delighted. But if you have ever had real pasta in Florence, or a veal chop in Milan, or even been served by a competent waiter, you will find this place wanting. It looks like it should be good. But Starr knows his clientele and it is no better than it needs to be. The most striking thing, visit after visit, is how badly trained the staff is. On my last visit (as in never again, last ever!) the waiter kept coming over and asking loudly if there was anything he could do for us. Since we were still eating, the answer was no. Since he invariably managed to ask that question when our guest was speaking, the timing was rude and incompetent. The last time he came over he managed to kick me in my broken leg. I screamed. He looked put out. I pointed out that he had kicked my broken leg. He seemed relieved. The scream now made sense to him. He said cheerfully, "Oh, that's ok then." Where does Starr find these people? It's too expensive. The staff is incompetent. The food is mostly mediocre. And there are some good pasta dishes available. The pappardelle with ragout were quite good.

• Visited March 2014