“Northern Italian Gem!”

Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: 20th Street
Reviewed March 19, 2013

What a wonderfully charming and excellent restaurant. The food and service and atmosphere is right on. The service is professional and informative. food is amazing in every aspect from the delicious Bruschetta withporcini and lava beans to the crudo of ahi tuna and lamb sausage involitini. The pastas are all homemade and stellar. The corzetti with braised goat and mint oil is unlike any I have had in philly. The Lobster tortolloni and fusulli with blue crab and uni crema rock. On to Entrees, Veal cheeks braised eith orange marmalde and a buckwheat polenta takes me back to to my grandmom's polenta in lombardy. Scallops are perfect with a squash puree and vsully stunning and the suckling pig. Desserts are great gelato and such !!!

Reviewed March 18, 2013 via mobile

This restaurant strives for perfection everything I tasted was delicious and creative. The service was vaery attentive,, but nott pretentious Not for the person who goes to an Italian restaurant for a big plate of Parmesan. It is very expensive, but you pay for what you get. Enjoy

Reviewed March 14, 2013

Actually just walked in off of the street, had some time to kill before a show. My wife and I sat at the bar, ordered two glasses of wine, and looked at the menu. A gentleman noticed us, I guess because we were drinking wine. He came behind the bar, introduced himself (Frank) and asked us what type of wines we liked. We were them treated to some awfully nice tastes. If this is any inclination of the staff that you search out....A+ in your choices!
We will be back shortly for dinner, hope Frank is working, and I will spread the word on such friendliness and Awesome customer service:-)!

Reviewed March 3, 2013 via mobile

In a word, excellence.

Located on a weird section of Sansom Street, nestled among a used record shop, comic book store, and a ballroom dance studio is what may become my favorite restaurant in Philadelphia.

We did the traditional crudo/primi/secondi and not the tasting menu, but I'll go back for that.
The decor is simple. Cream walls, red quilted booth backs and black chairs surround plain white tablecloths.

For a Starr restaurant, the noise level was surprisingly low which made for a nice romantic dinner where we could actually talk about how delicious everything was.

My wife is a cheese freak so she started with the 5 cheese sampler. All were delicious from soft creamy rinded butteriness to sharp And crumbly saltiness. All paired with nuts and black currants. Yum. I had the braised octopus. It was served with arugala and peppers over a lemony basil aioli. It was tender with a slight char from the grill. Fabulous.

Primi. My wife had gnocchi with brown butter and I had a special oxtail and foie gras pasta with braised cabbage that by all rights should have put me into a food coma. Rich. Decadent. Delicious.

Secondi. My wife had the Swiss chard ravioli with truffle butter and I had the suckling pig. The pig was so tender I could have left my teeth at home, but then I wouldn't have been able to chomp on the decadent crispy pig skin. All the fat rendered out leaving behind that delicious caramelized crust. My mouth is watering while I type.

Dessert. Ricotta cheesecake and chocolate mousse Napoleon. The cheesecake came with blood orange sorbet. Heaven. And the Napoleon was accompanied by bruleed bananas. I might by a torch so I can make these at home. They were amazing.

Our waiter was a true pro. Knowledgable about the menu, guiding my vegetarian wife to the best choices and recommending a terrific chianti.

The pace of the meal was nice. We didn't feel rushed, and we didn't wait forever between courses. It was lovely.

This place isn't cheap. With wine and gratuity we dropped around $300. But the fact that I would gladly do it again speaks volumes.

1  Thank StoneSouped
Reviewed January 28, 2013

Came highly recommended by our hotel concierge at the Hotel Monaco. I took my group of five colleagues to Il Pittore, and we couldn't have been more pleased. Our server was spectacular-he had the entire menu memorized and provided outstanding recommendations. The wine list was intriguing and provided some great tastes.

My only complaint was the cost-doing an antipasti, primi, and secondi makes the final price a bit high. Otherwise, I can't recommend this restaurant highly enough.

1  Thank crickettrainer