“Fantastico!!!!”

Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: 20th Street
Reviewed September 27, 2012

Who would believe that the best meal I've had this year was at a resto in Philadelphia called Il Pittore, recommended by the concierge at my hotel. Chef Chris Painter can hold a candle to any iron chef I've experienced with dishes that have nuanced layers of taste and combinations never before experienced. The winner of all dishes I tasted (not nearly enough, so I am counting the days until my return) was the butternut squash agrodolce----but sweet and sour doesn't come close to describing this masterpiece. The experience on my tongue was such an explosion of savory and sweet uniqueness......the squash was buttery, citrusy, vinegar-y, velvety. It was hard to dissect, so unusually delicious. Another big hit was the grilled asparagus in a nest of grated parmigiana sprinkled with bits of pancetta and topped with a fried egg! I managed to devour ALL the grissini, and the wine selection was expansive and thoughtful! My dining partner had a swordfish special that was presented with the fish bathed in a confetti of grilled vegetables that when tasted transported me to the fields or farmers markets in Tuscany! If you visit Philly, this is a must! It might even be THE reason to visit Philly!

Reviewed September 24, 2012

All I can say is "wow". Il Pittore gets it on all levels -- outstanding Northern Italian food, handsome decor, and attentive service. The Maître d' checked on us several times during our meal, enough that we felt well taken care of but not intruded upon. I'm surprised at the reviews that refer to small portion sizes. We couldn't finish ours, but thought all the plates were exactly the right amount. My husband said the suckling pig was the best pork dish he's ever had. If anything could stand improvement, I'd say it would be the wines by the glass, which might have been more varied. That being said, I was very favorably impressed by the fact that our waiter had me taste each wine by the glass I ordered before pouring the full amount. As it turned out, I changed my selection after the taste, so I came away happy. It is especially nice to experience a "special occasion" feel in a comfortable, not fussy, setting. We definitely recommend it.

Reviewed September 20, 2012

The title of my review warrants clarification. From a food perspective, high quality. Perfect size menu with sufficient variety to allow for multiple combinations regardless of the number of visits. The food is fresh and inviting. Quality ingredients. Visually appealing. Love the complimentary bread basket. Having been to many parts of Italy, I am always cautious in a USA restaurant claiming authentic Italian. Il Pittore did a reasonably decent job at executing the flavor and feel of the food. The menu for wines by the glass is decent but overpriced. The $10-15 wines are fairly pedestrian and should be more around $7-11 max. The value of the wine for the price is not congruent. The downside of my experience was the service. My server asked if I had ever been to Il Pittore before. I indicated I had not and he asked where I was from. I am from Chicago. He immediately went to the space that Il Pittore was better than anything in Chicago. And that Philadelphia, in general, was a far better food town then Chicago. That is like suggesting Fairbanks, Alaska was on the same level as Paris, France in terms of food, wine and romance. Philly is not even in the same conversation as Chicago. Getting better but not in the major leagues. He then asked about other Philly restaurants I have been to and he huffed off each. The quality of a server at a higher end restaurant such as this includes knowledge of and appreciation of the surrounding dining area. His indifference was hardly inviting.

1  Thank allenr589
Reviewed September 16, 2012

Had to write a glowing review after a second impressive meal at this establishment. Before I go any further, it should be understood that this is multiple course dining AND it is not inexpensive. The portions are small to moderate. A mid course pasta is a must here if you want to experience the full range of the kitchen's talent.

Service is excellent. The server was very knowledgeable about all the dishes & their respective components & very helpful with the wine list. One of our guests has an extensive understanding of wine & he was really impressed by the list & the wine's presentation. The service is attentive without being snobby. The diner's comfort & enjoyment seem to be the highest priority of the staff.

The kitchen produces wonderful food. Our party of four had 4 appetizers, split 3 mid courses of pasta, 4 entrees and one side dish & 3 desserts. HIghlights included the roasted asparagus app, the pasta with spring onions, peas and zucchini, the lamb loin, stuffed trout and the side of brussel sprouts.

Finished with excellent coffee and a warm peach cake, a trio of sorbets and a delicious Napoleon.

This is an excellent place for a special occasion meal or even a business dinner as the upstairs noise level never seems to rise above moderate.

I cannot wait to go back.

Reviewed September 16, 2012

My husband & I went to Il Pittore for our anniversary - the food was excellent! I highly recommend the Octopus appetizer - it was tender and delicious. I had the suckling pig and it was amazing, so good. The best part was the service - the food was timed well and the waitstaff was excellent. Top notch - a must try!