“Beyond amazing”

Rittenhouse 1715, A Boutique Hotel
Ranked #19 of 86 Hotels in Philadelphia
“Beyond amazing”
Reviewed June 28, 2014

I normally take my family to 5 star resorts, and I am frequent guest of hotels such as the four seasons, the Ritz, and the One and Only. This time I opted to try a boutique hotel off of Rittenhouse Square and of the many options, I was taken with the photos on the Rittenhouse 1715 website. These photos are accurate, it is an absolutely charming and exquisite space. The staff upon calling for an early check immediately treated me with the utmost care. My welcome was sincere and gracious by staff who appeared to be very proud to be working there. I immediately felt I was being welcomed home to my "city carriage house". This is not a hotel that feels run by a corporation. I felt I could be in jolly old England in the time of Charles Dickens and Benjamin Franklin (with flat screen tv, fine linens, luxury shampoos, fireplaces, and beautiful framed one of a kind paintings that make you feel like a king and queen). The presidential suite is not to be missed. It's charm is beyond description. I fly from SF to Philadelphia every year at this time, and I'm so excited to have found this place. I'll never stay anywhere else in Phila but here.

• Stayed June 2014
Renee G, Guest Services Associate at Rittenhouse 1715, A Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, July 9, 2014
Dear Karen Y,

Thank you so much for your kind words about our staff. We are truly honored by your compliments. Our greatest goal is making our guests feel “welcomed home” and are thrilled that we’ve succeeded. It is true that we are not a chain hotel, and work hard to be distinctive and to let the personality of our staff and the property itself shine through.

We are also very pleased that you were charmed by our Presidential Suite and all of the amenities that it has to offer, such as Molton Brown toiletries and Frette linens. We can’t wait for you and your family to return next year! Until then!

Renee

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (111)
Reviewed June 28, 2014

Just completed a very short stay here. The front desk staff were excellent overall. They knew I would arrive very late and had everything ready to go as soon as I got in.
The room I stayed in was decently sized (will comfortably fit two people). Everything was working. Bed was comfortable. Wi-fi worked well (provided free).
The bathroom door is translucent (only matters if you have someone other than a spouse or a close friend/family staying with you).
My room had a shower stall with a hand-held as well as a rainshower. Water pressure was acceptable.
Molton Brown toiletries were provided. I personally liked the fragrance.
Breakfast is also included in the rate. The (free) breakfast consists of cereal, fruit, yogurt (parfait), coffee, pastries. One can order a hot breakfast for extra charge.

Check-in/check-out was easy.
The location (Rittenhouse square).is actually very good in my opinion. It is very close to most of the downtown sights / restaurants, etc.
I will return if I get the opportunity.

I will return again if I get an opportunity.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank snod73
Dear snod73,

Thank you very much for your compliments about our staff and the ease of checking in and checking out. We do have someone available 24 hours a day to assist with late arrivals, early departures, and any requests that arise during a guest’s stay.

We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your room. Our housekeeping and maintenance staff work very hard to make sure that everything is working well and comfortably in all areas of the hotel. A lot of guests appreciate the Molton Brown amenities, and we are glad that you did as well.

We look forward to your return the next time you are in Philadelphia!

Reviewed June 23, 2014

We stayed here based on all of the reviews and the hotel description. We were under the impression that this was a boutique historic hotel. Our experience was that of a large bed and breakfast. The sheets, bed, and pillows were all uncomfortable. The room was a little run down and mismatched. There was no bathtub. No coffee in the room. And to add insult to injury our room was at the base of the staircase so we had the distinct pleasure of listening to everyone's coming and goings. The wine reception was hot Chardonnay and peanuts. The hotel itself is located on an obscure side street, however the overall location is great. We were expecting a boutique, upscale hotel. Overall, really disappointing & unrestfull experience.

Room Tip: This is a large bed and breakfast. The classification of boutique hotel is misleading.
1 Thank Aaberger
Renee G, Guest Services Associate at Rittenhouse 1715, A Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, June 26, 2014
Dear Aaberger,

I am very sorry to hear that you were disappointed by our hotel. If our front desk staff had been made aware that you were not pleased with the location, lack of bathtub, and condition of your room, we certainly would have done our best to rectify the situation. Some of our rooms have bathtubs, while others have walk-in glass showers, to try and suit everyone’s preferences. We do have coffee and tea available 24 hours a day that our front desk staff is more than willing to bring to guests’ rooms. It is true that we did begin as a 6-room bed and breakfast in 1999, but with expansions and upgrades, we became a 23-room boutique hotel in 2007, and 23 rooms is considered too large to be a bed and breakfast. We hope that you will reconsider staying with us the next time you’re in Philadelphia. Please contact us directly so that we are able to find the right room for your needs.

New York
Reviewed June 18, 2014

This was my 1st time coming to Philadelphia and based on the reviews I had read I decided to stay here. The location was absolutely perfect and quiet. It's just around the corner from the main part of Rittenhouse Square and is very centrally located. The staff was exceedingly accommodating in my room was very comfortable. Traveling a lot I can really appreciate a good mattress and pillows this had both and nice sheets too. They offer a very nice but very simple breakfast in the morning that came with our room. I think they are very fairly priced and offer five-star service. I highly recommend staying here.

Dear MJBNYFL,

Thank you very much for choosing us for your first stay in Philadelphia! It is true that we are well-situated to see all of the sights that Philadelphia has to offer. We are pleased that you had a very comfortable room and enjoyed our down pillows and Frette linens. We do offer a complimentary Continental breakfast, but also have chef-prepared hot entrees and freshly squeezed juices available to order for an additional fee for those guests who are interested in a hearty breakfast. We look forward to your return the next time that you are in Philadelphia!

Plumsteadville, Pennsylvania
Reviewed June 5, 2014

Exquisite, well run boutique hotel on a quiet street one block off Rittenhouse Square. Many very nice restaurants in the immediate area as well. The staff is very accommodating and professional. I would recommend this hotel to anyone. They offer wine from 5:30 to 7 pm and offer a continental breakfast from 7:30 am to 10. Great value.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Renee G, Guest Services Associate at Rittenhouse 1715, A Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, June 8, 2014
Dear mikeatmdn,

We are pleased to hear that you found our staff to be accommodating and professional, as that is always our aim. We are thrilled to be in such a wonderful, bustling location, but still maintain a quiet atmosphere, and are glad that you found the same to be true.

Thank you very much for your review and for recommending us to others. We look forward to seeing you again!

Fennville, Michigan
Reviewed June 4, 2014

The Rittenhouse 1715 is a small, lovely, quiet hotel in the center of Philadelphia; it is well located, very nicely appointed, quiet, our room was spacious and the breakfasts were excellent. However, even given these high grades, it has one even more distinguishing trait: an extraordinary level of professional, personal service from every staff member we met. They engendered a true feeling that we were welcomed guests.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Phil C,

Thank you for finding our staff to be what distinguishes us from other properties. We all do our best to provide exemplary service and to make all of our guests feel at home. It is especially heartening to hear that we've succeeded at that task.

We truly look forward to seeing you and your friends again the next time you’re in Philadelphia!

Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed June 2, 2014

I've stayed at Rittenhouse 1715 twice before with my husband and brought my mom back this year for Mother's Day. She was speechless after a wonderful weekend at the inn. It is charming, elegant, and seems even smaller than it is; the staff pays close attention to your needs. The rooms are gorgeous (we've been lucky enough to stay in the Presidential Suite each visit) with beautiful furnishings and marble bathrooms. That suite even has a chandelier, spiral staircase and two story windows. It is also very reasonably priced!

In the evening, there is a hosted wine hour, and the staff is so attentive, that if you'd prefer to have wine if your room, they will bring you a glass! Similarly we had hot tea delivered up one afternoon, which was complimentary! Breakfast is served (included in room rate) in the downstairs dining area, which is incredibly charming and served on beautiful china.

It's always hard to leave! Definitely the best option in Philly!

Room Tip: Splurge on the Presidential Suite! If it is not booked when you arrive, you may be able to upgrade f...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank courtney9384
Dear TravelForLife84,

Thank you so much for your kind words about the hotel, particularly about our staff. One of the primary tenets of Rittenhouse 1715 is Five-Heart Service, an ideal which we all strive to achieve. Our Presidential Suite is one of a kind, and we are pleased that you've been able to enjoy it for multiple special occasions.

We also appreciate your compliments about our breakfast. Our complimentary continental breakfast is very good, and we are glad that you agree. Perhaps the next time you visit, you will be able to enjoy one of our chef-prepared items or fresh-squeezed juices and smoothies, which are available to be ordered from an a la carte menu. Until next time!