“Will come back again and again”

Rittenhouse 1715, A Boutique Hotel
Ranked #22 of 88 Hotels in Philadelphia
Reviewed August 29, 2013 via mobile

Cozy pampered service to the nth degree but not overbearing. Very professional. Called me "Mrs. D" instead of assuming like so many do that we are on a first name basis. Everyone was there to make me feel welcome. This is an older building (shower pressure a but low ) but every amenity is beautiful and every inch is operating room clean and I am very difficult to please in this regard. Beds very comfy and i slept for 10 hours (unheard of for me). The breakfast is included in the stay and is served on English china with cloth napkins. Really yummy muffins, yogurt fruit sundaes served in champagne flutes. Did I say how much I love this place? I will be back in Philadelphia next March and can 't wait for my next time here.

• Stayed: August 2013
Jarred3838, Owner at Rittenhouse 1715, A Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 31, 2013

Thank you for sharing your enjoyment- our guests happiness is our primary purpose! And, we're grateful that you had such a restful sleeping experience. You mentioned that the water pressure wasn't that great for your stay. That said, I'm sorry you had this experience which is not common all at 1715. However, during your stay- our pressure pump burst which greatly affected the amount of pressure experienced for a short time. Good news- our normal strong water pressure has been restored working as usual

Reviewed August 20, 2013

The hotel is nice. The location is very good. It is the 1715 staff’s warmth, sincerity and local knowledge that make this a 4.5-5 star location. I met Daniel after getting off a red eye. He set me up with a great little cafe around the corner and made sure I was able to check into my room five hours in advance of schedule. It just got better from there little things keep my recommendation from a strong 5. Our room’s view was of a roof with several unattractive vents. The basic breakfast is limited for the price, although there are nearby cafes, and the cable selection is limited. We did not spend much time in the room but I thought others would want to know about these issues. We look forward to returning to the 1715 in the fall

Room Tip: room 309 is a larger space with a nice sitting area. king in main room and pull out queen keeps peop...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family

We're very thankful that you will be returning to experience 1715 again in the near future. Our Brake the fast( breakfast) at 1715 is put together with much intention. In fact, we house the cities only Fresh Juice bar. And, our menu is about quality with enough quantity to satisfy breakfast enthusiasts. If you'd allow us, we'd like for you to experience our whole breakfast process the next time we see you- I'm confident that you will really enjoy!

Reviewed August 10, 2013

if you like being watched 24/7 this is the hotel for you. No control of the air conditioning, room very small and stuffy. Furnishings are tired. Backache for a week after sleeping on too soft mattress. Free breakfast? Coffee, yogurt, fruit, rolls. Embassy Suites puts them to shame. Free wine? I don't drink alcohol.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank diane m
Jarred3838, Owner at Rittenhouse 1715, A Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 12, 2013

Thank you for staying with us in early August and sharing about your recent experience. At 1715, our intention is to be mindfully present in all of our actions. We serve our guests knowing deeply that there happiness and good feelings are our primary purpose. With this intention we're watchful off all opportunities to serve. Not judgmental or overbearing, but for ever willing to perform our work. Now, since we are constantly growing(we hope) we may have imperfectly not given you the level of service that you may have wanted or in this case- not wanted. If you're open to a dialogue with myself(, I would love to learn how we may have made your stay more rewarding! Our Architecture which is acclaimed and admired by many guests world wide is the consequence of 4 historic carriage houses placed together creating Rittenhouse 1715. That said, we have a few rooms that are controlled by a central unit which is kept at a temperature that seems to satisfy the majority of our guests. Our sleeping experience at 1715 is something we put a lot of love into. From our mattresses, to our beds, to our linens- we buy and choose the best in the world- I'm truly sorry that you believe our sleeping experience caused you a backache. Lastly, our breakfast is put together with a lot of admiration and love for cuisine. So much that we are the cities only fresh juice bar located inside a hotel. Our pastries are sourced from the cities very best bakeries. And, our fruit is hand delivered and selected with care. One recently well traveled guest stated, " now this breakfast is the real deal!" I truly hope we can have another opportunity to serve you in the near future again, we'll do our best to welcome you with care and sincere hospitality.

Reviewed August 8, 2013

This boutique hotel is great. My SO and I attended midweek for one night and had a fabulous time. There are only a few minor cons and I'll speak to them first then the pros.

Cons:
1. We were first placed in a Queen when I had reserved a King. I was told the King is not guaranteed although I paid a premium for this arrangement. Without much hassle, I was moved to a King room but it was rather dark, low to the ground, with no view and had a soundtrack of the trash being picked up in the morning (only audible from the bathroom)
2. I was told the hotel was completely sold out. I have my doubts about this considering how easily i was moved to another room and it was a Tuesday night but I have no way to prove this otherwise without massive and unnecessary effort.
3. The free breakfast had no protein source. You had to pay extra if you wanted eggs. There were yogurts, fruits and grains.
4. No free internet. I managed to tap into someone else's and just tether my phone.
5. No free parking. They'll recommend garages for you to park in and the rates aren't bad.

Now that the cons are out of the way the pros are below.
1. Very nice staff. They're well trained and very kind, prompt and respectable. No attitude and very accommodating. I think there was only one time I called and no one answered the phone. They'll even offer you tea while you're waiting around and will give you tips on what to see around the city.
2. Excellent bathroom. Although there is no privacy fan, it's very spacy, has a wonderful mounted wall makeup mirror and the shower is huge and incredible.
3. Comfortable clean rooms. I stayed in a Superior King and it was more than enough space for me and my SO.
4. No gym on site but you can get a free 1-week pass to LA Fitness in walking distance.
5. Free cookies anytime and free wine during certain hours.
6. Turn down service - chocolates and the covers are turned down. Extra towels are left.
7. 10% off for returning guests
8. Good location if you don't mind walking a little bit.
9. Great deal for the money (but I used a discount luxury travel site to secure a special)

So yes, in summary I'd stay again if I were to be in Philadelphia.

Room Tip: If you want a King, insist on a King despite what they say and ask to not be near the dumpsters.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you so very much for being so detailed in your review! We're happy for you regarding the great deal you received through one of our travel partners- this happens only a few times a year.

Responses to the Cons:

1. Our king requests are always on a first come basis! We never mis-represent to our guests, integrity is our primary principle underlying all things. We're super busy and our inventory changes day to day. Many times, moment by moment. I'm glad we were able to accommodate you to a king, we did so not because it was easy, but because it became available do to circumstances beyond our control. My apologies about the noise, sometimes lower floors in the city can be noisy and since we're located in Rittenhouse Square with so much enterprise happening, waste removal happens.

2. Our Hotel is sold out many nights throughout the year. We only have 23 rooms and are the only high end European boutique hotel located in Rittenhouse Square. And, we will never tell a guest we are sold out when we're not. And, it goes against our primary business principle which is integrity in all actions.

3. Our European Continental Breakfast( Our Brake the Fast) is a consequence of continued study and efforts. Our Yogurt has 4 grams of protein per serving along with fresh granola which will give you 5 grams all together. That said, our Juice bar will make any smoothie with high quality low heated whey protein. Plus, we make 1715 Omelette's with low fat high protein cheeses. I here that you'd like another protein option for no cost.

4. Our hotel has a fine IT Team and we've got free Internet throughout the entire property, In fact, a year ago a frequent guest noted that he liked stronger Internet- we added another access point and since we've got no complaints.

5. No 4 or 5 Star hotel in the city has free parking. We do have a lot 10 Ft from our hotel; however, it comes with past experiences that aren't positive. So, we recommend a lot that costs half the price around the corner. We're always about giving our guests the best overall experience.

We appreciate you so much!

Reviewed August 6, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Rittenhouse 1715 for a weekend get-away. The hotel is in a great location and was ideal for our needs. Our room was next to the elevator, which was initially a concern to me (noise) but we didn't hear it at all.
The bed was comfortable with great linens, the bathroom well appointed. Continental breakfast was adequate. I think my favourite spot was the garden room. It's a lovely quiet place to sit with a glass of wine and read. Staff was very friendly and professional. Coded room locks mean you don't have to worry about losing or locking in the key. The decor was a little flowery for my taste, but the whole hotel was spotless and beautifully maintained.
I recommend this small hotel.

Reviewed August 5, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Rittenhouse 1715 in early August 2013. It's a really nice and cozy boutique hotel with only 23 rooms. Staff were very attentive to guests, and the overall service was very good.

Our room was on the 3rd floor. It was really comfortable and clean. Bathroom was decent size, albeit the sink was clogged up and drained slowly. Turndown service was a nice touch - free water and chocolates were left in the room.

Internet via WiFi was included. Continental breakfast was included as well - I would recommend to the hotel to add bagels and orange juice to the included menu to make it a really good continental breakfast.

Overall, I would highly recommend this hotel - really pleasant experience.

Hotel is practically adjacent to the Rittenhouse Square and is walking distance to most places of interest downtown Philly, including many good restaurants.

1  Thank Constantine-TA
Reviewed August 4, 2013

Recently went to Philadelphia for business and stayed at the Rittenhouse 1715 - check in is personal and easy - I was upgraded to a beautiful room on the second floor - I love that all the rooms have door codes - no need for keys. I had a beautiful bathroom and a queen bed with a fireplace. The room was comfy cozy and nicely appointed. The front desk was helpful with suggestions for dinner and while I know the city well I took their suggestions and both nights walked to restaurants close by and enjoyed dinner both nights. The hotel is on a quiet street off of Rittenhouse Square - breakfast is served downstairs in a cute "cafe" that only serves breakfast. White wine is served every late afternoon in the drawing room. The only drawback is that there is not a restaurant on site but multiple restaurants easily within walking distance! I will stay again!!!

Room Tip: Loved room 212,
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business