“Yes, but”

Rittenhouse 1715, A Boutique Hotel
Ranked #30 of 89 Hotels in Philadelphia
Reviewed June 15, 2013

There are many nice touches (loved the mismatched china in the breakfast room, the water and chocolate with the turndown service). And you can't beat the location. To be fair, I think we had the worst room in the place -- in the back, tiny dark window- with an unruly air conditioning unit and then a repetitive machine roar in the wall. The staff was falling all over themselves to be nice, but ultimately it became a little unctuous, like they were trying to make up for the physical inadequacies with excessive concerns and apologias. They worked very hard to be welcoming but it sort of became annoying. A little pricey for ultimately what we got.

Room Tip: Avoid ground floor in the back -- quiet but dark.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Jim L

Reviewed June 10, 2013

Maybe my expectations were too high because of the previous reviews. I was put in a room where I had to climb stairs with my luggage to get to. My request for a wake up call never happened. I was not comfortable in the bed (I know this is a very personal thing). And the handle to the shower kept coming off in my hand making it difficult to regulate the shower. Everyone was very pleasant, the free continental breakfast was ok, the location is great, the room was very adequate.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Rich1234Nyc
Reviewed June 7, 2013

I recently stayed 3 nights at this lovely boutique hotel located just around the corner from a beautiful park. The staff were so very helpful from the minute I arrived in every way imaginable, yet I never felt invaded or hovered over. They knew all the great places to get just what I needed. English beer? Right around the corner. Thai food, they were immediately helping me choose the perfect place. At 10:30 pm I was ironing my dress pants for court the next morning and made a mess with the steam. I called the front desk and I was instantly whisked down to the hotel's laundry room to remedy the problem. Generosity of spirit goes a long way toward making a traveler feel welcome and this place was overflowing with it. The rooms are beautiful, the common areas very comfortable and the breakfast couldn't have been better..I felt like a princess and never wanted to leave! I wouldn't stay anywhere else in Philadelphia. Why would I, when I already have a home there at this elegant and cozy hotel? I wish I could give it 6 stars.

Room Tip: Get a quick tour of the hotel to get acquainted with the common areas where you can enjoy a glass of...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed May 28, 2013

Our first visit here this past weekend was because of a great deal. Our second visit will be because it exceeded every expectation. We had the smallest room and I loved how cozy and quaint it was. I would request the exact same room overlooking the pretty street below. The service is amazing at this hotel. The room was very clean and well laid out. The turndown touch was nice after a fun night out in the city. Free Breakfast was a little confusing at first but it was free and once we sorted out what to do we enjoyed the items. Rittenhouse is our favorite location and this hotel is truly in the heart of it all however it is also tucked away on a non-busy street so it was amazing how quiet the room was at night. This will become our #1 place to stay for when we travel to the city without our child.

Room Tip: We were on the second floor street side smallest room and it was perfect... so I do not think you co...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ManyMilesStill2Go
Reviewed May 28, 2013

This is a hidden gem of a hotel created from 3 adjoining townhouses and tucked on a quiet street half a block from Rittenhouse Square in the heart of the center city. The staff know the meaning of pampering the guests, from their curbside welcome to a fresh cup of coffee brewed to soothe you after a day of sightseeing. The mattress and pillows are totally comfortable, the linens crisp, the towels thick, the premises spotless. An evening glass of wine, a continental breakfast and a tempting platter of cookies in the lobby are included.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 28, 2013

This is simply the most wonderful find. The staff are helpful to the point of feeling like family. The included home made continental breakfast was wonderful, as was the wine in the afternoon. Free wifi and iPhone charger were a very nice treat. We simply couldn't be happier with our stay and can't wait to return.

Room Tip: They are all wonderful.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed May 27, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Rittenhouse this past weekend and used it as a launching off point as we entered Pennsylvania for the first time. The hotel is small; it is quaint; it is quiet; and it is accessible. The folks in their service positions were first-rate providing a welcomng atmosphere and helpful touring information. It is not inexpensive but then nothing downtown that is worthwhile is. We did not avail ourselves of the wine reception but the fact that they offer it is a touch of class. As a location in the heart of the city, we were able to walk to many sights and accessed the tour bus nearby.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business