“Good location; friendly service”

Rittenhouse 1715, A Boutique Hotel
Ranked #18 of 85 Hotels in Philadelphia
Washington, DC
“Good location; friendly service”
Reviewed March 25, 2013

Just a block from Rittenhouse Square, this 23-room hotel is within walking distance (on a good day) of several major attractions. We walked to the Barnes, Rodin, and Museum of Art even though it was cold. We also walked for dinner to Vernick Food and Drink across the Square. The rooms (we had a standard) are modestly sized but well appointed. The staff was exceptional, always looking for ways to assist us. The one disappointment was the breakfast. The "continental" breakast is pretty meager -- pastries, a spare fruit bowl, and coffee or tea. There were only two choices of cereals and no granola. They offered eggs "any way" (excepted poached), bacon, omlets, and juice for an additional charge. We thought the offerings included with the room should have been greater. We did have the pleasure, however, of the chef's reasonably good accompaniment of jazz staples. On the whole, a very good experience.

Room Tip: Each floor is small, so a room away from the elevator is probably preferred. We had room 308, which...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
NY, NY
Reviewed March 23, 2013

I took a big chance this time on my weekend in Philly. I consider myself a loyal customer but have two hotel brands I love...Kimpton and Sofitel. In Center City, it is always a hard choice as there are 2 of my favorites literally looking at each other from across the street---Sofitel and Palomar (Kimpton).
Not sure why, but I decided to try something new this weekend and booked The Rittenhouse 1715. As I am a frequent guest at Sofitel and Palomar in Philly, they know me by name and always do their best to upgrade me to a suite and let me check in early and check out late. Sofitel as late as 4pm. I am a member of both loyalty programs and I'm sure that helps.
The Rittenhouse 1715 is located a half a block from Rittenhouse Square. It is a charming small property--they say boutique hotel---I say B&B or inn. I arrived at noon and my room was not ready. I left my bags, expecting the worst--the standard 3 pm check in time. I was not even halfway down the block when they called me to tell me the room was ready 5 minutes after I left. Not only had my bags been taken to my room 5 minutes later when I came back, but the front desk manager walked me to my room and explained the perks of the hotel--a wine hour and a continental breakfast. He showed me my room and went over all the features --mini bar, free Wi-Fi and large flat screen TV as well as turn down service. Although there is no fridge stocked with drinks, the room has Dean & Deluca treats like nuts and chocolate all under $5. I love good products at a hotel. Win win. The bathroom was stocked with Molton Brown toiletries in all varieties.
The room --which was priced at $190 a night --was medium sized and quaint. The furniture is antique like with a roll up secretaries desk, a (comfy) king size bed, dresser, 2 night tables and a lounge chair. Very tasteful and on brand. What makes it more amazing is the modern amenities--a 40 inch flat screen, and iPhone dock. The lighting is well done with the choice of bright or dim. The bathroom is huge and modern with a classic feel.
The place is so quiet that you feel you are home alone. The front lobby has 24 hour staff that welcomes you back each time.
But here is the hidden gem. On demand movies by a company I have not heard of called XFinity on Demand. New releases are $4.99 and many independent same day as in theater releases are $6.99. Many are free. Unprecedented price and selection.
The dining room is set with fine china and features a yummy assortment of pastries and croissants. A full breakfast is made to order by a friendly chef for $8.
I can't say enough good things about this quaint gem. A definite recommend for those that like inns and B&B's.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
4 Thank Devochka1267
Portland, Maine
Reviewed March 19, 2013 via mobile

Rittenhouse 1715 was a wonderful surprise for us on our return journey from
FL. to Maine. The location is great (google it). Vincent and Tanya greeted us outside when they saw us pull up in front. They were sweet, attentive, sincere, and unobtrusive. The 'lobby' is tasteful, spacious, and comfortable. (cookies too!) Our room was bliss--the shower especially. Frette towels, immaculate cotton sheets, complimentary water, and oh so much more. The key point is this: attention to detail is paramount here. The housekeepers take pride in their work--please remember them when you depart! Now, perhaps the 'piece de resistance'- the morning after:) saunter downstairs and immerse yourself in the delight of sensory experiences! Visual- perfectly set cafe tables (are we in Paris yet?), delicious petite pastries, bagels, and artisanal breads. I'm so sorry I have forgotten the wonderful hostess' name. Step up toward the music that will move you in the mañana -- Jamal will be your chef du jour - fresh egg dishes, 'in the moment'
squeezed juice, and much more.
Please remember these delightful breakfast hosts as well!! They, too, take great pride in attention to cleanliness and service!! I noticed that all the guests in the breakfast salon were very friendly.
My only wish is that all future guests remain kind and generous in spirit!!
Our farewell was as welcoming as our arrival. House manager (oops, my brain lapse here- Frankie???sorry) is the perfect house manager: friendly,
knowledgeable, and warm hearted!
We have no vested interest in our review except when people take pride in their work, we must all take notice, in words and gratuities!

• Stayed March 2013
Daytona Beach, Florida
Reviewed March 14, 2013

I really enjoyed my stay there this month. It was the first time that I had traveled on my own and everyone was so nice and helped me out with directions of all the places I wanted to see. I almost felt right at home. My room was clean and comfortable and I felt really safe since I'm a senior citizen.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
SAINT LOUIS
Reviewed March 14, 2013

This was my first trip to Philadelphia, and I was looking for something in the city center away from the major tourist attractions. I couldn't have been happier with the location of the Rittenhouse 1715. It's just a block off of the lovely Rittenhouse Square - within walking distance of pretty much everything, but so amzaingly quiet. The three story hotel is really tucked away, and my room faced an alley way. At night I couldn't hear a sound. This is a first for me, staying in a big American city. The room was very comfy and the folks at the front desk were incredibly nice and helpful. It's worth every penny staying there.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Danville, Pennsylvania
Reviewed March 6, 2013

A lovely boutique hotel with absolutely delightful staff. Gracious foyer. Spacious room with fireplace. Fresh bath with roomy tile shower. Frette linens. Drawing room. Wine hour. Ample continental and 'to-order' breakfast in a 'subterranean cafe' atmosphere. Peaceful. Relaxing. Great location convenient to dining, retail, museums, etc. Just a wonderful place to stay in Philadelphia. Highly recommend.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank quahaugs
Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed March 5, 2013

My friend and I stayed here for two nights while we attended the Philadelphia Flower Show. It is a wonderful little gem in the middle of the frenetic city. It is peaceful and has a very European feel. The front desk staff could not be friendlier or more helpful. They gave us great tips on where to have dinner and even took care of dinner reservations for us. Breakfast was yummy and a very pleasant experience as the staff there was friendly and wonderful as well. We will definately will stay here for next years trip as well.

Pop into the tavern around the corner "Rittenhouse Bar and Tavern" for appetizers and wonderful fresh cocktails.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends