“Stayed one night for a wedding - sweet and clean boutiqe hotel”

Rittenhouse 1715, A Boutique Hotel
Ranked #22 of 88 Hotels in Philadelphia
Reviewed July 28, 2011

My husband and I stayed here for one night at the end of April 2011 for a wedding in Philadelphia, and I have to say, it was a very fun hotel in very walkable (for 2 New Yorkers) area of Philadelphia.
The hotel itself is tucked on a side street from Rittenhouse Square and felt very authentic and classic. The staff was as accommodating as they could be - the only reason I could not give them 5 stars is because they did not have our room ready after we had notified them we were arriving and needed early check in time to prepare for a wedding. Finally, they switched us to a (same priced) room with a smaller bed to get us in immediately.

The decor is very colonial classic feeling but still tasteful and almost chic. The layout is adorable with a tiny staircase hidden into the lobby.
The bathroom was very clean, as was the bedroom - with all the comforts one could hope for in a boutique hotel. If we ever need to stay in a hotel again in Philadelphia we will definitely come back to Rittenhouse 1715!

Room Tip: The staff was so sweet - being sweet back to them made a huge difference in being helped as much as...
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank Amanda F

Reviewed July 27, 2011

At my recent stay at the Rittenhouse 1715, a small boutique hotel in the very heart of Philadelphia, I enjoyed the highest appreciation as an individual traveler that I have ever experienced. Every single staff member was dedicated to fullfill my needs and wishes. I literally felt loved, welcomed and spoilt. The whole place, a wonderful little mansion, is focused on your comfort and well-being.
The highly attentive management creates an uncomparable ambiente and style that is clearly outstanding and one-of-a-kind. This is my future place to be in Philadelphia and I highly recommend this place to every individual traveler.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank Ulrike011
Reviewed July 26, 2011

We lived in Europe for 12 years. When we travelled, we enjoyed staying in B&B's and small Pensions. The Rittenhouse 1715, A Boutique Hotel truly reminded us of those very pleasant experiences, where service is personal and rooms are spacious and well appointed. The location along a quiet side street in the heart of downtown Philadelphia added convenience and charm to the experience. We highly recommend this hotel if you are looking for a quiet getaway in the center of the city.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed July 20, 2011

Service was excellent. Daniel was so pleasant, courteous and helpful with any suggestions or directions, etc. We will look forward to seeing him again the next time we stay at this hotel. The room was elegant, clean (very clean), and the bed was so comfortable. This boutique hotel is tucked away in an assuming area; therefore, it is very quiet. My husband and I loved coming back from touring, shopping, dining, etc. in the city to complete peacefulness. No noise in the hallway, no kids running about - it was peaceful and restful. Even the breakfast area is elegant and peaceful. We love coffee and it was fresh and delicious. The coffee cake was wonderful, also. -- We were in Philadelphia to visit with my son. We had one day to ourselves and a day and a half to spend with him. It was pretty easy to get around on our own the first day as Daniel suggested the Phlash Trolley, which we used - and it got us everywhere we wanted to go for only $5 a day. We loved the Terminal Market, Rittenhouse Square, Old City and Penns Landing. We enjoyed the Plough and Star Restaurant in Old City, and Marathon On The Square and Parc Restaurant (for big a cooked breakfast) in the Rittenhouse area. I highly recommend this hotel especially if you're looking for peace at the end of a busy day in the city. We'll definitely stay here again.

2  Thank sweetiebaker
Reviewed July 19, 2011

My husband and I travel often for fun and have stayed at many wonderful places. However, we have never experienced service to this caliber. The staff was extra friendly and made sure that we had every thing we needed to make our stay special. They were always happy to answer any question and make suggestions from directions to places to eat. When we checked in, the head of housekeeping personally inspected our room to make sure everything was in order. Guests can tell that the staff really love their jobs and enjoy working with one another! The location was right in the heart of the city, the accomodations were beautiful and clean with spacious rooms and comfy bed. We really enjoyed the cookies, wine social, and continental breakfast. When we return to Philly, we definitely will stay at Rittenhouse 1715!!!

1  Thank RobinSchex
Reviewed July 17, 2011

My wife and I stayed at the Rittenhouse 1715 last night, and it was a real disappointment. There seemed to be only one person working there. It is a 26 room boutique hotel, and we had to wait to check-in because the one hotel employee had to check in a couple in front of us and then take their luggage to their room. The same thing happened to the couple in back of us, who had to wait while we registered, had our luggage delivered and then were shown to our room by this one employee. (I must note that the one employee was very friendly and helpful.)

When I called because a lightbulb was out in our very small room, it was the same employee who came in to change it. The whole thing reminded me of an I Love Lucy episode where Lucy puts on 5 different hats to do 5 different jobs.

Safety was a real issue at the hotel. My wife and I returned from dinner at 9:30 pm. The front door of the hotel was open, but the reception desk wasn't manned. Philaldelphia is a very big city, and the lack of security at Rittenhouse 1715 was troubling.

In the morning, there was a free Continental Breakfast, but the food was lackluster. The Cafe is in the basement, and it seems to have humidity problems. The coffee cake was very soggy, and the packets of granualted sugar were more like packets of sugar blocks because of the moisture in the air. Theoretically, one could buy an omelette or waffle for $8, but there was no one there to make them.

The hotel building is renovated from top to bottom, but the furnishings and artwork are one-off replicas, like what one could buy at The Bombay Company chain of stores when they were still in business.

To all those who have rated Rittenhouse 1715 the best hotel in Philadelphia: "The Emperor has no clothes!"

6  Thank TravelOptimist12
Jarred3838, Owner at Rittenhouse 1715, A Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 19, 2011

First, I'm sorry that you don't imagine us to be the best hotel in Philadelphia. Being that the emotional experience of happiness is our intention, your review hurts! Why? Because, we care about you and the quality or lack of quality experience that you've had, we're saddened. That said, your observation about your check-in process is well taken. The Saturday you stayed happened to be our "First" Saturday in a very long time that we weren't sold out! Actually, it was one our our slowest days of the year! So, I must admit- I made a staffing error the Saturday night you happened to stay with us which resulted in you having to wait an extra few minutes. I chose to allow Consistently, our staff to guest ratios are the highest in the industry. Our Breakfast, we are the only "Fresh Juice Bar" located in any hotel in Philadelphia. In fact, our Chef goes to the market daily to pick up any fruits and vegetables that requested by our guests. As for our European Continental Breakfast- we source our breads from the finest bakery in our city. I'm sorry that you didn't experience it this way. We pride ourselves on serving the highest quality items available in our marketplace. Lastly, we have a chef here every morning who sometimes leaves his post to retrieve fresh ingredients from our other refrigerator; however, this process only takes a few minutes. Our furnishings, we've put our hearts and souls into this property! In fact, we have unique pieces of furniture from many different parts of the world. We get complemented on this daily via as per previous reviews. We hope that you'll consider coming back to experience "The1715" that guests have called the best hotel experience in Philadelphia.

Reviewed July 13, 2011

Stayed here in July and was less than thrilled, rude desk staff and dirty rooms.

1  Thank mholz1