“Second Visit This Year”

Ranked #12 of 86 Hotels in Philadelphia
New York City, New York
“Second Visit This Year”
Reviewed June 29, 2011

My husband and I spent June 18 at Rittenhouse 1715, our second visit this year. This time, we selected Room 220 on the second floor which faced north and thus had no view (which was not a problem as we arrived well after dark). The room was tastefully decorated in blues and browns, with a large “rainforest” shower head. The room was very quiet, and we only briefly heard footsteps overhead. Check-in and check-out were both very quick, and the front desk personnel very friendly. Be sure to grab a fresh cookie from the lobby area. For brunch or lunch in the neighborhood, our favorites are Noble (2025 Sansom Street) and Marathon (19th and Spruce), although there are a number of good restaurants a short walk away. We also recently stayed at the Hyatt Bellevue which I will soon review. Between the two, we prefer Rittenhouse 1715 due to the more personal feel of the hotel and the room décor.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank NYCityTravelers

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (111)
Amarillo, Texas
Reviewed June 28, 2011

We have spent many weekends in Philadelphia this year and after our first stay at Rittenhouse 1715 we have always returned to lodge there. The hotel is very charming but the real charm is the staff. They are the very best at customer service. Marian is usually there when we arrive and we feel like she is a family member. She knows us and calls us by name and is always friendly in fact the entire staff always wears a smile. we would highly recommend this hotel. Trent and Sharla

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank tsisemore
Miami, Florida
Reviewed June 24, 2011

It's hard to write everything that went write but I'll give it a shot. The quality service started before I even arrived. The day before I was scheduled to get there, I get a call from their concierge asking if I need anything in the room when I get there. I told them I'm coming with my son and wife and if they could have a pack n play (crib) for my son it would be great. Sure enough when I got there it was waiting for me already setup.

They also asked if I would like a private towncar to pick me up and I said yes, and the service they sent over was fast, efficient, friendly and the car was very clean. The driver knew all about the city and told us some cool facts.

The staff greeted me with a warm smile and offered me some tasty cookies and bottled water while I checked in.

The room was well appointed and tht bathroom/shower felt like and upscale spa. My room had an iHome system to play music off my iphone and the flat screen TV's had cable that got tons of channels.

Ready for this? They offer FREE internet, it's amazing more hotels don't do this, as it made me feel really good about staying here.

My suite was on the ground floor and it was perfect for me so I didn't have to go up n down with my son, so they thought it through well.

The breakfest came with fresh squeezed juices of all kinds, and they even had fresh coconut water. They make omelette's and belgian waffles made to order which ROCKED!!!

I can keep going but my hand is starting to hurt from typing so I'll leave you with this, stay here at least once and you'll be back for sure.

Room Tip: Ask Marianne the concierge to get you an upgrade!
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank constantclick
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed June 12, 2011

The Rittenhouse 1715 gets our highest recommendation. It’s immaculately clean, beautifully furnished, blissfully quiet and ideally situated in the heart of Philadelphia. Since many of these points can be made about other top hotels, what makes the Rittenhouse 1715 so special? Its staff. Rarely have we encountered such friendly, courteous, thoughtful and conscientious people who have gone out of their way to make us feel at home.

From the moment we arrived for our four-night vacation in spring 2011, members of the Rittenhouse staff did their utmost for us. After checking in, we briefly mentioned that we eventually hoped to find some downtown restaurants whose food would suit our dietary needs. An hour later when we returned to the lobby on our way out for a walk, we discovered that the front-desk staffer had done an internet search and had prepared a list of appropriate restaurants for us. Later in the trip, whenever we came in from a long day of museum-hopping, we found that members of the staff were genuinely interested in speaking to us about what we had seen. They were also eager to provide us with suggestions about what to do next. This was in keeping with the general atmosphere of the Rittenhouse, which has only a couple of dozen rooms and feels more like an intimate bed-and-breakfast than a conventional hotel.

This same feeling of warmth extended to every aspect of our stay. We were particularly satisfied with the cozy dining area where we enjoyed our continental breakfasts each morning. In the past, some visitors have posted messages about what they believed were sub-par breakfasts. We were told that the Rittenhouse had taken these comments to heart and had revamped its breakfast service. The difference was obvious! We filled up on cereal, juices, milk, coffee and various types of fruit, while other guests also enjoyed the rolls, pastries and jams. For an extra charge, it was also possible to get a hot breakfast (though we were happy with the basics). Throughout the day and night, we were also happy to find coffee and tea available in the dining area. In addition, we were delighted that staff were able to do us a favor by storing a few perishable food items in the refrigerator (since the rooms do not have bar fridges).

Parking was also hassle-free and remarkably affordable. The Rittenhouse has an arrangement with an indoor parking garage (five minutes away by foot) where cars are under surveillance. This gave us a feeling of real security. We forgot about driving during our trip, confident that our car was in good hands.

Our final contact with the Rittenhouse is representative of our entire experience. About halfway home, we realized that we’d accidentally forgotten an item in our hotel room. It was nothing of great value, but we wanted to get it back. When we got home, we were amazed to find a message from the Rittenhouse advising us that our item had been already been found, and asking us to inform them how we wanted them to arrange to have it sent back to us.

We’ll always have fond memories of our trip to Philadelphia, not just because of the city itself, but because of the way the Rittenhouse 1715 made everything easier and more enjoyable.

A happy couple from Montreal

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank CanucksQuebec
Reviewed June 11, 2011

Great staff-helpful, personable, great location-rittenhouse square, Curtis, Verizon Hall, Academy of Music, comfortable rooms-windows that actually open to let in fresh air b-fast was good- a little carb laden though. I wish that they hD an exercise room but would stay again in a heartbeat

• Stayed April 2011
1 Thank Bgbdwlf
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Reviewed June 7, 2011

We spent a week last may in Philadelphia with my wife for our son graduation. We choose the Hotel for its good location, in an elegant district near everything, yet on a quiet little street. We enjoyed the decoration and the comfort of the room, and a very good breakfast. But what made our stay really special was the staff. They were always very cordial, anticipating every possible wish we could have, and doing it all with care and assurance. Our special thanks to Mariangely whom we felt our own angel, she even helped my wife with some urgent shopping for adequate clothes, as weather was not as sunny and warm as expected!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
Ponchatoula, Louisiana
Reviewed June 5, 2011

We are so glad we chose Rittenhouse 1715 for our stay in Philadelphia (came to see the Barnes Collection before it is moved). We were there for several days and the service was impeccable. The hotel is housed in 3 lovely old buildings that adjoin. From the insde the flow between them is perfect; lobby in the middle, living room/lounge to the right, guest rooms to the left and on the floors above, and the breakfast area encompasses all of the down stairs area. The rooms are well appointed and clean - linens and bathrooms are exceptional. The breakfast is excellent, and there is a delightful custom at 5:00p.m. for the hotel to serve wine, coffee, tea and snacks. This will be our home when in Philadelphia.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family