“Small but a Gem in North Philly”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Conwell Inn

Conwell Inn
Ranked #62 of 85 Hotels in Philadelphia
Gainesville, Florida
“Small but a Gem in North Philly”
Reviewed July 7, 2010

I was coming to Philadelphia to check out Temple University. I was nervous about staying in North Philly, but figured if I was going to be going to school there, I'd need to experience what that was like. Being from the South, I've heard a lot of horror stories about North Philly, but I honestly can't say that I experienced it that way. A lot has to do with the hotel, and the staff. All the staff I encountered were very helpful, nice, and accommodating. The hotel was smaller than I thought it would be, but that made it extra special. The location of the hotel was great too, not only is it close to everything on campus, but it is easy to catch public transportation down to Center City, where I was able to check out all that Philly has to offer. Because of this, it would be a great place to stay if you were just coming to Philly for the sites as well.
My room had a queen size bed, which was very comfortable. I enjoyed using the free wireless. Overall the stay was great.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Leesport, Pennsylvania
Reviewed July 7, 2010

My wife and my two older children stayed at the Inn and we had a great experience. One of my children attends Temple University and the location on the campus makes the Conwell Inn a great hotel. The staff also made the experience a great time. School was not in session at the time but we wanted to look for local housing and the front desk staff took the time to help us find some places. The rooms in the Inn were fabulous as well. Both rooms were well kept and the free snacks and breakfast in the lobby were a nice addition. Anyone looking for a stay in Philadelphia in a quiet location or anyone wanting to stay on or near Temple University's campus should definitely look into this hotel.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
usa
Reviewed May 3, 2010

For the rate of over $140, I expected a clean hotel. But...:
1. The carpet was FILTHY. You don't need to touch it to make sure it's filthy or not, because it was so OBVIOUS!
2. I booked for a NON smoking room, but I got a SMOKING one. When I complained, they only said "Sorry. It must be the person before you who smoked." (Well, certainly BEFORE me!). And another person in the front desk said, "It must be the guest staying next to your room who smoked and the smoke got into your room." I did NOT ask HOW my room was full of smoke odor though! The odor was VERY strong that I almost puked!!
No discount whatsoever. And I noticed that the smoke alarm in my room was OFF!
3. Shower curtain smelled filthy also.
4. Location would make you wonder if you are really in the U.S or in a remote village.

I didn't even care to have the free breakfast because I was disgusted with my room.
FILTHY!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank mypreciouskids
Warwick, New York
Reviewed April 5, 2010

My husband and I stayed for ten days while our son-in-law was a patient at Temple University Hospital. Erin & Eric were so helpful to make our stay feel like we were at home. The warm Cookies in the afternoon were a real treat. Coffee was available all day.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
yanksfan13
Reviewed September 19, 2009

I came here last month with my daughter who was moving into the Temple University dorms. The hotel is right on campus so this was extremely convenient for the move in process considering we came from New York. The room we had was a "deluxe double queen" which was more than enough room. The front desk was very helpful in accommodating us when we needed to extend our stay, although we had to switch rooms. Overall the rooms were very nice and I could not have asked for a better location. When I come back to visit my daughter over Thanksgiving I will be giving the Conwell Inn a call.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
Randolph, NJ
Reviewed September 19, 2009

My wife and I came down to Philadelphia and stayed at The Conwell Inn for our son's graduation. He had mentioned this hotel as it was right on Temple University's campus, just a block away from where the ceremony was to take place.

Upon arriving to the hotel, the parking was somewhat difficult to find. However after calling the hotel the front desk agent gave us clear instructions on where to enter. When walking into the hotel, the lobby was quaint and charming. Throughout the entire stay I found that everyone on staff was most helpful and courteous. I have no complaints about our room, as everything seemed as it should be. I found it quite easy to take our son out to dinner that night as the subway entrance was only two blocks away and it was just a matter of minutes to the heart of the city. Again in the morning, my wife and I were nothing but impressed at the level of customer service that the staff provided.

And one thing that I wish we knew about before our trip was that The Conwell Inn is a pet-friendly hotel. If we had known that we definitely would have brought our dog, Pancake, along with us.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
dc
Reviewed August 2, 2009

We had an excellent stay at the Conwell Inn. I think the hotel was underbooked when we were there, so we were put in a suite. The view from the room was pretty. The staff were very friendly and helpful. There were apples & cookies available in the lobby. The bathroom was big and everything worked. The furnishings and carpets were a bit worn down, but all seemed perfectly clean. The wifi in the room worked fine. There isn't a lot to do in the area besides visit the university -- but there's a subway stop a couple of blocks away, so all the downtown attractions are just minutes away. It's really nice to stay at a hotel that cares about pleasing its guests and isn't a chain!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family