“Great Stay at Conwell!”

Ranked #60 of 85 Hotels in Philadelphia
Pasadena, MD
“Great Stay at Conwell!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 18, 2009

We were visiting Temple with a prospective student (my younger sister) and stayed at the Conwell Inn. The hotel staff is very helpful and friendly. Eric at the front desk was exceptional! They helped us with directions and called cabs for us also. The room wasn't ready when we arrived (we got there at 9:30AM so it was understandable), but they gave us a place to stow our luggage while we went on the college tour. When we arrived our room was ready and we received our keys.

I loved the charm of the rooms. The hotel is in what used to be rowhomes and the charm was definitely there. The room was clean and bright. The bathroom could have been a little better. The shower head strength was a little weak and the drain probably needed a replacement. Other than that, the room was wonderful. We stayed Friday night through to Saturday and yes there were maybe 2 occasions where we heard some voices go by outside. They went by fast around 9PM and after that we didn't hear anything else. But what do you expect from a hotel that is right in the middle of a college campus?

I also enjoyed the fact that there was a computer and printer in the hotel lobby for guest use. The breakfast and snacks in the afternoon were also very nice. Who doesn't love fresh baked warm from the oven cookies?

All in all it was a great stay and if my sister decides to go to Temple, we will definitely stay there again.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank coastalisis

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Philadelphia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2009

I had the pleasure of staying at the Conwell Inn last month and found it to be a rare gem hidden away on Temple's campus. The staff was courteous and very helpful in making my stay there a pleasureable one. I mean it is on a college campus and you do hear the normal activities of college students on the weekends, but having the campus police right next store makes your stay safe. Highly recommended!!!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business
Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2009

I stayed at the Conwell several times. It's a great place. Nice rooms, service, etc. Just be aware that the college students are out in full force Saturday nights (especially after a game) and it tends to be loud!

• Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2009

When me and my Family had stayed at the Conwell Inn was when I daughter had to go for a Doctor's evaluation at the Shriner's Children Hospital of Philadelphia. When we first arrive we were amaze to see a hotel on a college campus. Everything that we came in contact with at the Conwell Inn was absolutely fabulous. The staff was awesome in handling everything. The rooms were very clean. They even offer us a complimentary breakfast, that my family love. We have been staying at the Conwell Inn for three years now every time we leave Charlotte, NC. I say that the Conwell Inn is a great place to stay. But, you will have to go see it for yourself.

• Stayed June 2008, traveled on business
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2009

This one of the best hotel experiences I have ever had, (see why below) and I have had plenty. Myself, my husband and my dog stayed at the Conwell a few years ago while on a business/pleasure trip.
When we arrived at the Conwell we were greeted with a wine and cheese reception. The hotel was small and the staff was very friendly. The manager was young and eager to accommodate, she reminded us of Loreli from the Gilmore Girls.
The room was larger, and nicely appointed, and quiet. The hotel was full, so we were given a room with a shower for a handicapped person, which after the first morning my husband decided that he didn't like, so the hotel moved us to another room, no problem. (They moved the bags for us while we were out during the day.)
Our dog was traveling with us, and had to spend some time at the hotel without us, but not alone. We were fortunate to have a hotel worker come in and play with the dog, and even take him out for a walk. It might help that he is awfully cute.
I'm planning another trip to Philly and I'm going back to the Conwell.

• Liked — Very accomodating
  • Disliked — The staff and room.
  • Stayed April 2006, traveled as a couple
York, PA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2008

I really enjoyed my brief stay at the Conwell. The front desk clerk at check-in was very friendly and accommodating. The room was nice (queen suite) and the bathroom was better than most hotels. The water pressure in the shower wasn't what I would have liked, but overall...all was good. I would definitely stay again. It's very convenient to Temple's campus (it's on campus). I was there on business for a day.

• Stayed November 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
White Haven
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2008

I rarely write hotel reviews. But after staying at the Conwell Inn I felt compelled to tell others about our stay!

My husband and I live in Scranton, PA and our son is attending Temple University as a freshmen this year. We saw the hotel for the first time over the summer on the college tour and stopped in to get some information and check their rates. The hotel is located smack in the middle of the university with no other hotels in the area. As far as we were concerned. This was the place to stay. So we booked a room for September 20th to visit our son and learn a bit about Philadelphia.

Our trip into Philadelphia was not fun. We had a rough time with traffic and mapquest took us the wrong way. However when we did get into Philadelphia we called the Conwell Inn and a man named Nick, later our personal booking assistant!, gave us step by step directions via phone from south Philadelphia into the hotel parking lot. He then met us at the parking lot ready and willing to take our bags to our rooms and had our keys ready to go. We were obviously frustrated by our trip into Philadelphia and we shared that with him. Unexpectedly, he handed us a free coupon for the neighboring coffee shop and said to have a cup on them to relax from the trip.

After some great coffee (saxbys coffee?) we went upstairs to freshen up for the night. The room was clean and comfortable. We did not need such a big room with two queen beds, but we were not going to complain about that! It had a look that fit the hotel, historical, but not old. Our room looked out over the more popular walk ways on campus and too my surprise we could not hear any noise from the many students hanging out on the walk.

We called downstairs and asked Nick about a good place to have dinner with our son. Since we told him we wanted to see philadelphia, he suggested to us a place in Old City which was amazing. He made reservations and ordered us a cab and we had a great time. Cube Libre was the name of the restaurant. (I highly recommend it!)

We had a great nights sleep and went down for breakfast in the morning. They had a small continental breakfast set up. We asked the front desk man named Eric if our son could join us and he said it was no problem. Eric also gave us great directions back to the highway (much better than mapquest!) before we left.

We will be staying there again! I highly recommend it to anyone visiting Temple or going to tour Philadelphia!

• Liked — The great staff and the room!
  • Disliked — Nothing!
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank WhiteHavenTemplemom