“Excellent Trip/Stay”

GreenLeadersSilver level
monroe, United States
“Excellent Trip/Stay”
Reviewed May 8, 2014

Staff was amazing and the room surpassed my expectations. The staff gave us all the information needed to enjoy our stay and visit attractions we needed to (Wells Fargo - Xfinity Center). The room was definitely was amazing

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

nbarag, Manager at Hilton Inn at Penn, responded to this review, May 16, 2014
Dear Nicholas D-
Thank you for the great review. We are so pleased to hear that our staff was so accommodating, as our location is perfect for site seeing in Philadelphia. We hope that you will stay with us again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (151)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed May 6, 2014

The service staff at Inn at Penn did not provide good service to foreign visitors. The service at front desk was poor and unhelpful. When checking out, the receipt was given to guest unfolded without an envelope. When an envelope was requested, it was provided without an attempt to put the receipt into the envelope. The guest had to do this himself. There was no goodbye, hope to see you again ... etc.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

gmgreg, General Manager at Hilton Inn at Penn, responded to this review, May 13, 2014
Dear Seng K-
I'm terribly sorry about this incident. We have very clear guidelines for staff on how to handle any basic customer services with all guests, and we simply failed in this case. We are investigating this incident, and I strongly believe that this had nothing to do with nation of origin. As a large percentage of our guests come from all over the world, and we have quite a bit of experience and expertise in taking care of international travelers.

All of our front desk agents have been here for several years, so this is very surprising, but we will definitely be addressing the issue and implementing so additional training to be sure our service is consistent and correct. Thank you for bringing it to our attention, and we look forward to giving you the top quality service all of our guests deserve on your next stay.
Greg Stafford
Newton MA
Reviewed April 28, 2014 via mobile

Was here on business. Have stayed here before and always enjoyed the comfy room and electronics.
This time however when I awoke to prepare for my day I learned there was no hot water. I contacted the front desk and was told that maintenance was working on it. I asked for alternatives (health club nearby?) but was told I would have to wait despite my need to get ready for a series of meetings. The hot water never materialized.

I understand that things happen but the hotel should have some backup plans to try to accommodate the guests. When I checked out I was not offered any compensation and only minimal apologies. I was disappointed with the service in this situation.

Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
3 Thank NLF2013
Dear NFL2013-
Thank you for sharing your concerns regarding your recent stay. The hotel is located on the UPenn Campus as part of downtown Philadelphia. The utilities for the hotel come through those of the university, and the steam system that we utilize to create the hot water had a major failure at the university level. The result was that the immediate area, including the hotel, did not have hot water. This was a failure in the entire area of University City. I'm very sorry if we did not do a good job of conveying this message. We did have a number of guests mention this at check-out and we tried our best to amend this. If we failed to make appropriate amends to you, please feel free to reach out to me, so I can do so. Again, please accept my sincere apologies for the inconvenience and miscommunication regarding the hot water.
Greg Stafford
Sacramento, California
Reviewed April 28, 2014

Lovely hotel right in the middle of the University of Pennsylvania and Drexel University. Great food choices and comfortable room for our first night in Philadelphia. Valet parking only, but the guys were very quick retrieving our car. The University of Penn book store is attached to the hotel, so very easy to visit. We liked the vibe being there and the service was terrific.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
nbarag, Manager at Hilton Inn at Penn, responded to this review, May 7, 2014
Thank you for the wonderful review of your recent stay. We do have a perfect location in University City, and strive to provide the best service to all of our valued guests. We look forward to having you stay with us in the future.
Syosset, New York
Reviewed April 27, 2014

Staff makes this place Amazing. Unless I have to stay in Center City, I'd rather stay here. It is all about service and pride in one's work. It really is a five star treatment. Sure the food is good and the beds and rooms are nice, but you cannot beat the staff. Whether it be Miss Bessie in the Concierge or the bell hop or maid they are friendly helpful and not ever flustered. I love it here!

Room Tip: Just call Miss Bessie M-F she knows everything and everybody! She loves to help!
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank ThatLawyerDude
nbarag, Manager at Hilton Inn at Penn, responded to this review, April 28, 2014
Thank you for the wonderful review of your recent stay! We will be sure to tell Miss Bessie you said hello and thank you. With just a 10 minute drive to center city, or a quick train, we hope you will consider staying on the smart side of the city for all of your trips to Philadelphia. Come back soon!
Bronx, New York
Reviewed April 24, 2014

Went to Philadelphia for collage visits with my son. Arrived at the hotel early, because campus tour started at 11am. When I went to the desk just wanted to leave my car, but they said we can get our room early. Everyone was so nice and helpful. We got a package deal which included night stay, parking & breakfast at a great deal.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
nbarag, Manager at Hilton Inn at Penn, responded to this review, April 28, 2014
Thank you for the fantastic review! So pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay. We always try to accommodate our guests' requests as best as possible when availability allows. Best of luck in the college search. If your son choices a school in Philly, we hope to be your hotel of choice for the next 4 years! Come back soon.
Cincinati
Reviewed April 23, 2014

I love the location. But would rate it as average or below average overall. Half the time that I have stayed there, the nice meeting area, which looks like a living room, is tied up with private functions which means that you have to leave the hotel when you want to have casual meeting with friends. I find the food below average compared to most 4 star hotels. I find the staff at the desk to cordial and inviting. I find the general management to be lacking when you need to cal them. They are always in a "meeting" and I have had to call them 3-4 times across my various stays. I have stayed there about 20 times. Lately, I have been finding other hotels to book into. But, if I am with group, and I need to do a lot of business with Penn, I will still stay there and just eat elsewhere. The breakfast room on the floor of reception is quite weak.

Room Tip: I put another review in on this hotel several months ago and the general manager responded with fals...
Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your most recent stay, as well as your prior posting. It does appear that I was mistaken regarding the circumstances of your stay at the time, and I sincerely apologize. We do indeed use the living room for private functions and in the last year approximately 3.5% of the time this room has been tied up. Otherwise it is free for any guest to utilize. However, there are extensive seating in both the lobby area and the various nooks and crannies of the hotel: just to remind you, in the Walnut Street Lobby, near the conference area, and in the front lobby. I'm sorry that you did not enjoy our restaurant. Penne receives high marks within Hilton's rating system and in Opentable, locally. Perhaps if you could touch base with me on your next visit, we can have a more specific conversation about exactly what changes you would like to see in our food operations. Additionally, I don't believe that I had any messages to call you and apologize that there are times when I am in meetings, however I certainly return calls promptly and absolutely make an effort to connect with my guests. Like I mentioned, I invite you to have a conversation with me and will be happy to address any concerns you have. If you call ahead of your next stay, we can arrange a time while you are here.