“Excellent hidden gem”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Yardley, Pa
“Excellent hidden gem”
Reviewed January 6, 2014

The Inn at Penn was an excellent choice for our overnight stay in Philadelphia. The hotel was recently renovated and offered all the services any Hilton guest could expect. The bed was so comfortable, the bathroom was quite luxurious and our stay far exceeded our expectations. The parking is expensive to valet overnight 40 bucks but we had booked the room in advance and had a rate of $113 a night, so in the end I guess it washes out. There is a nice selections of restaurants in the area and this property far outshines the 70's style Sheraton around the corner. Overall this was an wonderful winter retreat for two gladly appreciate parents greatly in need of a night out.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Phillieboy
nbarag, Director of Sales at Hilton Inn at Penn, responded to this review, January 8, 2014
Hello and Happy New Year! We are thrilled that you thouroughly enjoyed your recent stay at the Hilton Inn at Penn. Thank you for taking the time to write your review of our hotel. We are very proud of our "hidden gem" and staff. We love that we are so well thought of by our past guests hope not to stay a 'hidden" gem. We look forward to your return visit. Regards, Nancy Barag

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (151)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Ardsley, PA
Reviewed January 3, 2014 via mobile

I had occasion to stay at the Inn at Penn during a snowstorm. Even though I live in the area, I had an appointment at the University of Pennsylvania Hospital and thought staying nearby would be prudent.

As mentioned in other reviews the rooms are well appointed and fresh. Room lights and HVAC are activated by inserting your key card in a device near the door.

Downside was the restaurant. Room service did not answer the phone. I made 3 attempts to call over a half hour period. Another guest had complained about the same issue as I was checking in, and a member of the front desk went down to the restaurant to resolve the problem at that time. I was disappointed that it was not resolved when I called. I ended up eating in the restaurant. I found service to be on the slow side, the wait staff tended to congregate near the kitchen and no one staffed the host stand (where the phone for room service was, hence the lack of an answer). The food was generally good but on the pricy side.

Breakfast is normally served on the lobby level but was moved to the main restaurant due to renovations.

On a separate note, the front desk and bell staff that attended to me when I checked in at 6 PM were still in duty to check me out at 9 AM the next morning, due to the storm. They appeared fresh and were very pleasant. Kudos to them for the long hours and professionalism! Job well done.

Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
2 Thank Steven R
nbarag, Manager at Hilton Inn at Penn, responded to this review, January 19, 2014
Thank you for the candid review of your recent stay at our hotel. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed our fresh rooms and we will be sure to pass on your kudos to our staff. We apologize for the inconvenience with Room Service, and will definitely be looking into this to be sure it does not happen again. Thank you for bringing it to our attention, as this is the only way we can improve. We hope you will stay with us again soon.
Wilmette, Illinois
Reviewed December 30, 2013

I stay in a lot of hotels and so it's rare that I give enthusiastic reviews to any hotel but this hotel was really outstanding in every way. The rooms are very modern, down to little accessories like providing an iPad for each alarm clock. If you're going to be around Penn at all, you can't ask for a better location. It's right across the street.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Tel Aviv, Israel
Reviewed December 30, 2013

We had the occasion of visitng UPenn on a college tour with my eldest son. I chose this hotel becuase of its proximity to the school. It made for a wonderful stay. The staff is very welcoming. the rooms spacious and comfortable and off couse the location is adjacent to this notable university. We liked the place very much and plan on making it our home while visitng our son during his studies there.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed December 27, 2013

Great location, great value, excellent staff I stay in Philly area every 4 - 6 weeks and when I am able to obtain reservations here, I always try to stay at this hotel. This is centrally located and is usually a great value and a beautiful hotel. The staff members are highly respectful and knowledgeable about the area. I feel safe in the hotel also. I have yet to find anything to complain about when staying here.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

knoxville, TN
Reviewed December 22, 2013

Excellent hotel if you are visiting Philly.... We booked this hotel based on the Tripadvisor reviews and we were thrilled with the accommodations! Beautiful hotel, fabulous beds and friendly staff. Highly recommend....we will definitely stay at this hotel again if we have the opportunity to return to Philly.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank tennessee_traveller
State College, Pennsylvania
Reviewed December 22, 2013

I really enjoyed my time at this hotel. I was impressed with all the high tech equipment and would most certainly stay here again if I am ever in the Philadelphia area. The room was a decent size, clean, and had a cozy feel to it. I loved the uniqueness of having an iHome and iPad available for your use, along side the fact that your room key can be used to maintain your desired temperature and lights setting in your room - very cool. The bathroom was also very spacious with lots of counter space. My room had a big standing shower only which I don't mind, but it might be a drawback for some people. The staff at the reception was very warm and friendly and I have no complaints there.

My only complaint was the breakfast service. I assume the hotel was short staffed because there was one waiter waiting on everyone, poor guy. He was really overwhelmed and would forget people's orders so the wait times for made-to-order food were rather long and you had to constantly remind the waiter to bring you everything from hot water for your tea to your food. The buffet had virtually no food out. Very food little was left from other guests having had eaten before my arrival so the restocking of food was not well done. I only had a croissant and yogurt but had to pay the full continental breakfast price of $17 which I wasn't too pleased with given the fact that the food that was available and the service I received was very bad. I had to wait almost 10 minutes to be seated because the available staff was too busy. Once seated it was another 10-15min wait before I was offered any tea etc. When leaving it was another 5-10min wait for someone to come at tend to me at the counter to pay my bill.
I was also not a fan of their dinner options either that are served in their restaurant, but that's just a matter of personal preference.

But overall the hotel itself for what its basic purpose is, a place to sleep and rest, it was excellent and met my expectations. I just wouldn't recommend eating there, especially when you consider the prices that are charged as well. There are plenty of nicer restaurants around town you can eat better food from for the same price.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo